Mariachi tipping?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lvmykids
PV Fan
PV Fan
Mariachi tipping?

Post by lvmykids » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this board. This June will be our first visit to Puerto Vallarta. We are staying at Dreams. Last year we went to the Riveria Maya and stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Looks like the tipping thing is a little different in Puerto Vallarta. My husband loves Mariachi's and wanted to know when you request a song from them, how much should you tip them? Also are there any local Cantina's where he could go drink tequila and listen to Mariachi's without a problelm? Thanks for your help.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:12 pm

The musicians that stroll around Playa Los Muertos and Basilio Badillo charge $50 pesos per song.

Mariachi Loco - L. Cardenas #254, is a club where mariachis play. They don't get started until 9 or 10 at night, some nights there are world class bands, some nights so-so, but give it a try it's fun.

lvmykids
PV Fan
PV Fan

Ticker?

Post by lvmykids » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi teduardo, thanks for the info. How do you get your time ticker into your profile. I had one last year on the forum for the Iberostar resort, but I have forgotten how to do it. Thanks

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks Teduardo... he hit the nail on the head there... and some of the strolling Mariachis also have some recordings for you to purchase as well... some are like anything else... some are pretty good and some well you get what you spend.... LOL have a great time...

randyhawk
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyhawk » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:16 pm

but they are so much fun to listen to have a little dance with anyone who may be standing close by and if these bands cannot put the fun in your step and just get you going...ya need to figure what is wrong with your life. So if they make you feel good why not tip...be grateful and thank them whats a few peso's 2 or 5 bucks no big deal for me to be havin fun... :D

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:12 pm

"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Mexico Beach Resorts" says $1.00 per musician per song. However, we found on our trip last month that the musicians are saying up front how much they want, and it seems to be $5.00 whether there are 2 or 5 members. It's usually worth it,

lvmykids
PV Fan
PV Fan

Ticker?

Post by lvmykids » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:23 am

Hey Tom, I tried again, I still don't think it is working. I saw it on your post. It must be me!

lvmykids
PV Fan
PV Fan

Yeh!

Post by lvmykids » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:05 am

Yeh!!!! I got it to work, Thanks Tom

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Maybe you are the one is changing your mind?

Post by ronald » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:11 am

I think that if you look at your ticker really closely and then click the reload button, you may find that it is adding a few minutes a ¼ of the time because it knows your , will have added years to you when you think and sing ♫ happy thoughts of PV.

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by lanhawk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:22 pm

Not to sound cheap, but five dollars a song seems kind of expensive, I would figure a buck or two would do it. I wonder how much it costs to send them away? (just kidding) :lol:

welovepv
PV Master
PV Master

Post by welovepv » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:11 pm

$5!!!!! :lol:

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 pm

:lol:

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Stump the mariachis

Post by oneistwo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:01 pm

I wouldn't exactly call it tipping. They're singing for their supper, so they charge. They really don't seem to mind if you ask first. "How much?" will do; you don't need to know Spanish. They are starting to work up toward $7. I toy with them a little though, asking for songs I don't hear that often. Like Solamente Una Vez, or Sin Ti, or Mexico Lindo y Querido (for a finale if you ask for dos). Don't make it too hard for them though, you'll end up letting them sing Besame Mucho or Perfidia or others (I've fortunately forgotten them) that are pretty worn out. :-)

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Stump the mariachis

Post by ellen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 pm

oneistwo wrote:I wouldn't exactly call it tipping. They're singing for their supper, so they charge. They really don't seem to mind if you ask first. "How much?" will do; you don't need to know Spanish. They are starting to work up toward $7. I toy with them a little though, asking for songs I don't hear that often. Like Solamente Una Vez, or Sin Ti, or Mexico Lindo y Querido (for a finale if you ask for dos). Don't make it too hard for them though, you'll end up letting them sing Besame Mucho or Perfidia or others (I've fortunately forgotten them) that are pretty worn out. :-)
Like Cielito Lindo and La Bamba. I´m sure they inwardly groan when asked for those.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: Stump the mariachis

Post by davilin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:19 pm

ellen wrote:
oneistwo wrote:I wouldn't exactly call it tipping. They're singing for their supper, so they charge. They really don't seem to mind if you ask first. "How much?" will do; you don't need to know Spanish. They are starting to work up toward $7. I toy with them a little though, asking for songs I don't hear that often. Like Solamente Una Vez, or Sin Ti, or Mexico Lindo y Querido (for a finale if you ask for dos). Don't make it too hard for them though, you'll end up letting them sing Besame Mucho or Perfidia or others (I've fortunately forgotten them) that are prworn out. :-)
etty Like Cielito Lindo and La Bamba. I´m sure they inwardly groan when asked for those.
Well, since you brought it up, I wonder how many know how Cielito Lindo goes. See who can add the next couple of lyrics, and the next etc.

Ay,ay,ay ay, canta y no.....

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

lyricos

Post by oneistwo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:13 pm

Ay, ay, ay, ay,
Canta y no llores,
Porque cantando se alegran,
Cielito lindo, los corazones.

I cheated: www.elmariachi.com. A great website

lvmykids
PV Fan
PV Fan

website?

Post by lvmykids » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:59 am

Hi oneistwo, tried the link to the marachi site and it came up unavailable. Is that the right address? Sure would like to check it out. Thanks!

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:50 am

try this

El Mariachi

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 am

This time I'll past it in:

http://www.elmariachi.com/Songs/