Los Muertos beach Polluted?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Plus4 wrote::roll:

I have my Opinion..You have yours..
as well you should, no one took that from you.

I will not get in to an exchange with you.
Last edited by howard_jax on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:45 pm

Now that the Hotel Zone area has been brought up, I will make a comment. I have stayed in this area every visit (somewhere around 15 times) and have been in the water every day of every visit and same goes for my daughter (somewhere around 7 visits for her). Visits have been either in October/November/December or April/May.
Let me tell you, we have both had our share of mouth fulls of ocean water, not by choice but, because we really like to go in when the water starts to get a little rougher in the afternoon and play and float around in the waves and neither one of us have ever be sick. Sure sometimes the water looks a little brown but that is just from the sand being churned up or there is some foam floating about but again that is just a natural occurence(sorry can't remember what causes that).
So, is it safe to go in the water? IMO....yes. Is it as polluted as the reports say....I doubt it.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Ocean Swimming

Post by smitty » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:43 pm

I'm not a member of the EPA or Greenpeace but Laurie and I did witness those pictures that Sylvia posted . Nobody in their right mind would've went in the water after seeing that gross deluge of filth . I know the bay is deep and currents hopefully sweep out the crud . Take a early morning beach walk and see what is washed up - ever wonder what you can't see ?

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Water Anywhere

Post by Jennybean » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Ever wonder what you can't see in relation to ANY body of water? Rivers? Lakes? Bays? Tributaries? Nevermind what's floating around in the pools you're in while avoiding the aforementioned ocean...don't ever stop to think what's in there or you'll never swim or get in water again!~

Let's have some perspective here, shall we people??

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Safe Swims

Post by smitty » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:45 pm

You are correct - as always Jennybean - everything in perspective . I wonder if Whale or Dolphin poo caused those EPA readings/ ratings - because that would be a good thing - right ?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Did no one read the date of the article? "July 2007". Hello people, July is still early in the rainy season. When it rains everything runs down from up river and the rivers dump into the bay. It is no different than anyplace else in the world that has habitants living along a river. Our latest heavy rains in LA a month of go brought down "tons" of garbage, trash, old shopping carts, you name it and you can find it washed down into the ocean. Even with the booms they have put in place trash/garbage still makes its way out into the ocean. Add to that all the illegal dumping that people do with toxic waste and they close all the So. Cal beaches because of contaminants for approximately a week after any heavy rains. Then they test the water, it clears up and people swim again.

As JB said, think about what is in that jacuzzi you are sitting in or the pool you are swimming in, think of what is in those cute diapers they have for toddlers to swim in and you are swimming in the same water. I will take my chances in the ocean thank you---there is alot more water there to dilute it. Bottom line the article was written during rainy season when all kinds of stuff runs into the ocean.

chance
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by chance » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Well I am going to throw my 99.8 cents worth in. We just got back and were in the ocean alot and the amount of time I have been down to PV I go in the Ocean all the time. We have never got sick or a rash or anything. In the end its your personal preference to go in or not. Good to ask the question whether its safe or not. But if 99% of the board says its fine then its a good bet it is.

Regards
Chance

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Come on, Boys, let's play nice. Chuck... 8)

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 am

Aren't they?

Mogens

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:35 am

Well, yes they are :shock: . I have absolutly no idea where that came from! I mean, I posted it, but I don't know why? I REALLY need to increase my meds! Very sorry for any misunderstandings. Chuck... 8)

ajstanger
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by ajstanger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:57 pm

I think kat nailed it right on the head. It was rainy season. If you have ever looked the opposite direction of the water you will see that PV is on the side of hills. Someone once told me that PV meant "where the mountains meet the water". I don't know if that is true or not but it makes sense. Gravity will pull all the rain through the hills and streets and yes storm drains and months of dry season dust, dirt and whatever gets washed downhill. At the bottom of "downhill" is the bay.

Like everyone else we have swam in the bay for 5 years without any skin anything. Of course some rocks stubbed our toes or cut our knees but no rashes. You think if we cut our knees on rocks that the bacteria would get in the cuts and get infected. NOPE! didn't happen.

We actually walk or bus down to Los Muertos because they have the best beach and the best waves for having fun in.

Go ahead and take a chance (LOL) and "jump" in.

I know in 14 days I will!

adios,
T.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Someone told you PV means what? That is so bizarre! Puerto means "port" and " Vallarta" is the name of a former governor of the state of Jalisco.

rabbitracer
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by rabbitracer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:44 pm

when i stayed at riu jalisco in nuevo vallarta about two years ago the water was not the clearest(i've seen it clearer in pictures), and i swallowed (accidentally of course) a mouthful of water :lol:
i didnt get any stomach problems at all, however a few days later i got a sinus infection(i got a little up my nose too :oops: i'm not the strongest swimmer) and one of my friends got a yeast infection, when she went to her doctor back up here in the states the dotcor said that they dump sewage in the water and thats why she got it...

i am not sure either way and i'll admit, there is no way to know if i got the sinus infection from getting the water up my nose or not. and, the rest of our group had no problems at all her and i could have gotten what we got elsewhere...

but the way i look at it most of the water on the planet is polluted, your local swimming pool has junk in it, even your hottub is gross if you think about it lol, its the world that we live in.

i have and will continue to swim in the ocean in PV, maybe if it had just been raining and the water smelled bad or something i'd stay out for a while, but you cant always live in fear of germs or bacteria, you are crawling with microscopic ones as you read this lol

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:55 am

I have a question. Where is the sewage treatment plant in Puerto Vallarta located and does it have the capacity to keep up with the increase in population as the new construction sites are filled?

Joyce

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:45 am

Excellent question, Joyce. I'll just bet the extra capacity is nill. We have all seen the raw sweage running in the streets during a July and August downpour that turns the streets into rivers. Chuck... 8)

Danyel
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Danyel » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:42 pm

I read someplace, I am not sure where, that the polution report was actually about the water at Boca de Tomatlan, not Los Muertos.

Isn't that a new sewage treatment plant that you see just north of the flight path when landing at the airport?

Dan

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Oy Vey

Post by Jennybean » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm

We have all seen the raw sweage running in the streets during a July and August downpour that turns the streets into rivers.
This is exactly the type of reckless misinformation that starts old wive's tales and urban myths. It's irresponsible.

I've actually BEEN to Vallarta in July and August...what runs down the streets during and after a heavy rainfall is natural detritus from the river tributaries and mountain areas (ie: mud, leaves, branches, ergo muddy and silty water, etc.) and the occasional trash bag and trash can from people putting out their garbage to be collected daily (because unlike most urban areas in the US and Canada, PV has a daily garbage collection).

Who has control over that when Mother Nature takes over??

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Danyel wrote:I read someplace, I am not sure where, that the polution report was actually about the water at Boca de Tomatlan, not Los Muertos.

Isn't that a new sewage treatment plant that you see just north of the flight path when landing at the airport?

Dan
I saw that as well when I came in and wondered what it was.

Joyce

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm

"This is exactly the type of reckless misinformation that starts old wive's tales and urban myths. It's irresponsible. "

I have "ACTUALLY" been there, also, jennybean and "ACTUALLY" seen chunks of defication floating in the water in the streets going down to the bay. This is no "urban legend" as you say. Wake up and smell the stuff, and take off your rose colored PV glasses. Geesh! Chuck...
8)

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

???

Post by Jennybean » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:51 pm

Are you so bored that you need to dream up new ways to start fights? You've so far in the last month accused me of lying, being a racist and a bigot, and now being clueless as to what comes down from the mountains in PV rainstorms.

Give your head a shake. Your agenda is becoming clear and as usual, it's tiring.

And before you start slamming pollution in PV again, maybe start cleaning up your own backyard first. Or shall we start pulling reports of hazardous waste levels where YOU live?

Glass houses there, chuckie boy. 8)