Pacific Coast vs Mayan Riviera

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Freckle Face
PV Fan
PV Fan
Pacific Coast vs Mayan Riviera

Post by Freckle Face » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi all
I've been to the Mayan Riviera twice, and absolutely loved it. I nearly cried when we had to get on the transfer bus; I hissed silly things at my hubby like "Do you think we could just leave the wristbands on and skulk around the resort for another week? Aw, c'mon,...live a little..." He figured the answer was a definite "no" so I DID get on the bus LOL

Have any of you done both sides of Mexico? And what are your impressions?

I'm going to Puerto Vallarta, regardless, just wondering what the difference is..being a Vancouverite I know that Toronto is not the same as Vancouver, different coasts, different atmospheres.

Contessa
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by Contessa » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:55 pm

I have travelled to both coasts in Mexico... IMO the east coast has the "business" of tourism and the west coast has the personal welcoming by the locals I really love when travelling. Being from Vancouver... you'll see what I mean!

ENJOY!

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Mayan Vs PV

Post by smitty » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:21 pm

We've been to Cancun 2x and PV 10+ . I guess the obvious advantage of the Mayan is the beaches and proximity to the ruins . I found the people just as gracious in both areas . PV's draw to me is the walkability of the city . You can get off the resort and explore a very vibrant city just by walking . I think Cancun and Mayan draw a younger crowd so maybe PV is a little more "relaxed ". One of my dislikes about PV is all the Cruise Ships that stop here. For shopping and dining PV is much better . Both areas are excellent I just think you get much better value and many more options in PV .

Freckle Face
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Freckle Face » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:19 pm

thanks for your input..I hadn't even thought about the cruise ships. I've seen them posted in pictures and thought they looked so lovely all lit up, but not sure how I feel about sharing the resort with who-knows-how-many day-passers. Didn't have that problem in the Yucatan.

TheClan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by TheClan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Have to agree with smitty...we have been Mayan Riv. x2 and this January will be our 2nd trip to PV aswell. Yes we like the beaches much better on the East coast, but the town, people and general atmosphere is very nice. :)

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:36 pm

Yes, since 1999 we've been to PV 12 times and Riveria Maya 7. I just booked today our 8th trip to the MR and will be staying at the Iberostar Quetzel Jan 12 for 8 days.

I really like PV better than Playa del Carmen, but I do like both towns and feel very at home in both. PV is just more quaint. Both have lots of shops and lots of very fine resturants. Lobster is easily available in PdC where shrimp and fish are more common in PV.

Both areas have some of the friendliest people I've ever run into. The reason we will be staying on the east coast is because the flight times from STL are inconvenient at that time of year. The charter flight leaves STL in the late afternoon placing us in PV after 6pm losing the first day, or if taking a commercial flight we would have to fly into either Chicago or Denver, neither of which I want the chance of being stranded in due to weather.

I guarentee you will really love PV and will be wanting to schedule a return as soon as you can.

Freckle Face
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Freckle Face » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm sort of relieved to hear that PV is a little more "quaint" than Playa Del Carmen.

I detest Playa.

The first time I went (Oct 2005), I was with my brother and his wife. I was in a shop, looking at necklaces for my kids and I was told the asking price. I didn't like the price, too high, and my brother came over and said "Forget it...you can do better closer to the beach." The shopkeeper then let out a string of obscenities, called me every name in the book, I was reduced to tears. My sister in law had to repeat over and over again "Mexican jail...mexican jail..." to get my brother to calm down. My bro was SO angry that he went to the shopkeepers on either side of him and told them that we wouldn't be shopping in this area of Playa because of their friend next door. I thought it was a fruitless effort, but they were actually quite angry to hear that. A lot of yelling amongst themselves and we just drifted down the street. I drowned my sorrows in a couple of Sols and forgot about it.

This year (Oct29-Nov5 2006) it was a time-share shark. I wasn't ready for him. I made the mistake of not looking like I had a place to go, sort of meandering, and he asked if he could help me. I'm such an idiot. Sure! Where's a good place to grab a beer? Apparently the best place to grab a beer is on one of his "presentations" regarding the Mayan Palace. We tried everything, from "we don't have any money" to "we're leaving tomorrow" and he just hounded us and hounded us.

Finally, my hubby asked "Which part of Vancouver did you say you lived for a while?" (yeah, right!) and the fellow said "Nanaimo". My hubby said "Oh well, we're actually from Nanaimo...we just say Vanvouver so you'll know what we mean...so whereabouts in Nanaimo?" He hesitated, and then my hubby and he just pointed fingers at eachother and laughed, like "Gotcha!" So actually that one ended up sort of funny, but I didn't like feeling like I couldn't get away. We learned to be...rude. It's hard, not in our nature, but we just acted rude and told ourselves "We'll never see these people again.."

And I know that time-share sharks are EVERYWHERE and I didn't hold that against Playa this time. What I didn't like, again and still, was the Americanization/Canadianization. I didn't go to Mexico to shop at a Harley Davidson store. To me, it's a shame to see that.

Sorry this went on so long. Thanks for the welcome and I'm sure I will love Puerto Vallarta! I'll be prepared this time :roll:

sonofdob
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by sonofdob » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:59 pm

Freckle Face...Cancun vs Puerto Vallarta is like Toronto vs Vancouver...know what I mean ? sonofdob from White Rock

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:06 pm

My time in PdC is spent setting at Ajua resturant on the street drinking good strong margaritas and eating some of the best super-chunky ceviche I've ever had. Octopus, shrimp, scallops, white fish and squid all marinated in fresh lime, onion, jalapeno and cilantro. A serving is just about a meal, it is so large. Lots of times the margaritas are on the house since we've been there so many times and have come to know the owners, Jorge and Brenda. After that, I make a trip into a sporting goods store and check out the new soccer jerseys to see if they have any to fit me, El Gordo. It's hard to find XXL but this place usually has several for the different Mexican teams.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:06 am

Here's an excerpt from Fodor's guide. "Cancun did'nt exist before the 1970's and employees and business owners were imported from elsewhere. In contrast, the majority of Puerto Vallarta's tour companies, restraunts and hotels are run by local people - proud of their city and happy to have you." I've been very impressed by the pride Vallartenses have in their city. Tell them how beautiful it is and they absolutely beam. I'm sure you'll see why.

Freckle Face
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Freckle Face » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:40 pm

THank you all for your input! Sounds like me and PV will get along just fine :) And Chuck, your post made me hungry LOL mmmmmmm

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:20 pm

For clarification, I have never spent anytime in Cancun proper. Always we stay south of Playa del Carmen. If I can't be in PV that's where you'll find me.