% Tip?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

CJ-canada
PV Fan
PV Fan
% Tip?

Post by CJ-canada » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:09 pm

What the proper tip percentage at Resturants?

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:12 pm

Locals reportedly tip the Mexican custom of 10% and visitors seem to stick to the tried and true 15%.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tips

Post by smitty » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Same that you would do at home - 15 % the benchmark . Service is so excellent in PV you will probably want to express your gratitude with an even higher % . This topic (tipping ) always seems to get people bent out of shape . I always think of the low salaries in Mexico and consider how these workers are making my trip so enjoyable - pushing a few extra pesos their way isn't that hard . :)

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 pm

I totally agree with smitty.and also about the wages being so low we allways gave extra expecially when they have to share.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Re: % Tip?

Post by Jennybean » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:03 pm

CJ-canada wrote:What the proper tip percentage at Resturants?
What do you tip at home? If you're a 20% tipper at home, tip that on vacation. If you think service is worth more, tip more. If the service totally sucked, tip less or don't tip at all.

Me, I'm a standard 20% or more tipper (used to work in the industry, had to live off my tips so it's a kinship thing and I know how hard they work).

Still not sure why everybody figures you should tip less on vacation...I've been trying to decipher that mystery for years. Not to mention the fact that Mexicans already consider *some* Canadians cheap - we don't need to be enforcing that belief, now do we? :lol:

rosie

Post by rosie » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:18 am

I tip 15% minimum, usually 20% if service is really good.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:18 am

Just a question I have: If the cost of living is lower in Mexico than the U.S. and Canada, why not tip less? I haven't checked the various sites that track countries COL, so I can't say for sure that it is lower in Mexico, but from many years of personally comparing the 3 countries, I think it is. SO...If a 20% tip is correct for very good service in the U.S and Canada, and Mexico is 15% lower COL, than why would a 5% tip not be appropriate? By giving a 20% tip, and remember, you are paying the same if not more for a comparable higher end meal in PV than in Vancouver BC or Portland Or, you are actually paying around a 35% tip, given the COL. Just my question, not meant to get Jennybean on my tail. Chuck... 8)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:41 pm

Charlieb, as ususal you bring up a valid point for discussion and for debate, and i am sure that Jennybean will not get on your case, well at least not for the moment... But if the "cost of Living" is less in Mexico, granted their wage scale is totally off the charts compared to the US and Canada. How many people would like to work 12 hrs a day for anywhere from $8 USD to $10 USD... i sure wouldn't even if the COL is that much less than in the US or Canada... But then my mentality is more more more, where yes some Mexicans want more, but so many of them are just happy with their lives and existence in this world... You don't see them stressing out like we do, or in a RUSH RUSH RUSH to get here and there ....

But to answer the question, we typically tip around 15 - 20 percent when we are on vacation (no different when we are at home)... i really can't remember the last time i tipped for less... and trust me i have, when the waitress or waiter copped attitude during our meal, making us ask for this or that, instead of coming around checking on us to see if we would like something else... But i will still leave a little tip behind, as i know what it is like to be on that side too... and granted they have to leave what the boss just said to them behind, or if another customer was rude to them, don't take your frustrations out on us... jmho....

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:42 pm

15-20%.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

COL

Post by Jennybean » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:56 pm

COL isn't necessarily lower in the heavy tourism destinations such as PV - maybe inland in smaller places where you don't rely on the tourist dollar as much, but COL in Vallarta has definitely gone up. I have friends who live there now and they tell me it's almost as expensive as living back in the US or Canada, but the wage scales are much, much lower. $800US a month is considered an excellent monthly wage in many cases...and not a lot of nationals make that, and especially not ones who work in the service industry.

So yep, people definitely rely on their tips down there. And honestly - the service levels even in some of the most inexpensive places in Vallarta is head and shoulders over what I've been subjected to in some 4 and 5 star places at home.

:wink:

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:33 am

Amen!

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:24 pm

no doubt about that one Jennybean... well said...

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:50 pm

That all makes sense. Thanks for the insight. Chuck... 8)

babysteps
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by babysteps » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:00 am

Just wanted to add that yes, the COL is high here. People do seem happy with what little they have, but it is hard to get ahead here. My husband (mexican) works for tips and comes home with $300-500pesos after a 10-hour day. He makes $47pesos a day as his wage.
We live fine but can never afford a vacation, or a nice car or any impulse buys. Everything has to be saved for and carefully thought out.
So yeah, if you want to see how *real* people live in Mexico, drive out of Vallarta about 10 minutes and you will see something different.
So yeah, bottom line: don't be afraid to tip! :)

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:27 am

I'm going to try to explain my "take" on this with as few words as possible to make my point, cuz I'm really tired...and don't wanna do my "chicken-peck" typing too much.

Tipping for me has far less to do with the percentage of the bill, than it has to do with the service.

Case in point...three different restaurants...one lower end prices, one medium priced, and one high end. Just for the sake of discussion, we'll say the low end meal is 10.00 (US), the medium is 20.00, and the high end is 40.00.

If the service was exemplary at all three, and we tip 20%, that then would equate to the "low" end server getting a 2.00 tip, the medium a 4.00 tip, and the "high" end server getting an 8.00 tip.

We are all then basing our tip solely on the cost of the meal, which in my opinion, is wrong. Basing a tip on the cost of the meal is a fine start to work off, but not enough. There is certainly no reason in my mind why a server that provides outstanding service bringing me the 10.00 meal, should get 2.00....I'd be happy to pay someone 5.00 for this...or 50%...just as I'd be more than "happy" to give crappy service on the 40.00 meal only 5.00....

I'm likely not making my point very well (as I reread it, I've realised myself I'm not!), but I guess my point boils down to me never having any preset percentage based on the cost of a meal...rather I tend to base it on "perceived VALUE", of the service...because after all...I'm sure we've all had crappy 40.00 meals somewhere on thr planet, and yet the server still worked their arse off...just as we've all had cheap meals where that persons tips should more accurately reflect the service they give, rather than reflecting that they're stuck working in a low end place, with a low end menu...

I'd rather give what might be considered a HUGE tip to someone working their a$$ off at Denny's, because of their ambition, drive, sense of responsibility or whatever, than to give one to someone that thinks they deserve it because they're working in an uppity restaurant...

I'm reminded of a dinner that Sandy and I had some years ago at one of Winnipeg's high end French restaurants. At that time, we'd already had many years of restaurant, hotel, and bar experience ourselves, and as such, tipped higher than most people that hadn't ever worked in the industry...

The waiter acted like we were serving HIM! He was (and remains to this day) the snottiest, most uppity piece of work I've ever encountered...I could almost read his mind "Oh great..they sat me a young couple...there goes a waste of time and effort for a small or non-existent tip"....seriously...that thought process oozed from his pores!

Needless to say, he didn't give us good service at all, the food was very good, but we did not enjoy our dinner because of this twit. Meanwhile, he's expecting he should receive a $25.00-$30.00 tip???? Not unless he pried it from my cold dead hands...

Then on the other side of the coin, I've seen waiters run their a$$ off for a table of 10 people that run up a 500-600 dollar bill, and get stiffed, or worse left a buck or two....

So...to me, it's all relative...good work requires appropriate compensation...regardless of the cost of the food.

If you can afford to tip "well"...then make someone's day by doing so. If you can't...then tip what you can afford.
Last edited by winterpegman on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 am

Nicely said Darryl and I agree completely

Joyce

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:29 am

Babysteps: I do understand. My wife and I are in the same situation. We are retired. On a fixed income. We do ok, but have to plan for every expenditure. We have to save for 14, 15 months in able to come to PV. And when we get there, we pay more than we do at home for the same stuff. So we don't buy "souvenirs" or other extra things. If I tip as much as I do at home, I won't be able to come to PV. My choices are to (1) stay at home (2) come to PV (1st choice) or (3) go someplace that I can afford to tip big. Just my problem. Chuck... 8)

babysteps
PV Fan
PV Fan

no percent....

Post by babysteps » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:07 am

Guess what, CharlieB..you are NOT in the same situation as me (or most of my neighbors). We cannot save for 14 months to go anywhere! That's right! $10 bucks a day ain't gonna get you much of a disposable income.

I agree with Winterpeg Man about the tipping situation. I had a friend from canada and he stayed a few hours at a restaurant where he said he had 'great service' and since he doesn't drink, his total bill came to $70pesos. Well, he was so proud to tell me that he left a $10peso tip! I almost crapped my pants!

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:43 am

Yea, Babysteps, we are. We both have to save to buy "extra" stuff. You have to save longer because you live in a place where you pay more for things than I do because your cost of living is much higher than mine. That's the problem with Puerto Vallarta! Most of the merchants are just plain greedy. When the cruise ships come in they jack their prices up even more...just to get money. A lot of restaurants charge the same as in Canada or the U.S. Even though you and thousands more only get a few bucks a day salary. The stores do the same. I just don't understand how you can afford to live there. You pay the same for just about everything as I do. Even Crocks cost the same down in PV. It really makes me sad that everyday, regular folks have to pay so much for just, plain, living. Giving a $10.00 tip on a $70.00 bill is just welfare. How about the restaurant owner, who is charging American and Canadian prices, give his employees a decent wage? And if he has to pay his supplier too much, than how about several restaurant owners getting together and saying "enough?" Or how about the Government giving out benefits like Canada and the U.S? Food Stamps? Free and reduced housing? Free medical? Free transportation?

Please forgive this rant, but I really get pissed when people get pissed on!

Take care, and have a Merry Christmas.

(ok, i suppose brenda and others are going to try to defend the rich taking from the poor. I just wish Robin Hood were in Mexico!!)

Chuck... 8)

ps: and Mogens, if you are going to argue with me, please do it in public.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

The Way It Is

Post by smitty » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:51 am

Chuck I understand your wish that Mexicans were treated better by their govt . Wishes don't count for much in real life but tips do . Your comments regarding Brenda and Mogens were both off base and mean spirited.