PV or Acapulco?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Nick in Houston
PV or Acapulco?

Post by Nick in Houston » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:11 pm

What is the main difference between the two? I have been to PV and absolutely love the place. I am always up for new places, so I would like to know what the difference is between the two. Thanks!

Nick in Houston

Boo

Re:PV or Acapulco?

Post by Boo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 pm

I have researched Acapulco many times for a possible trip, and I am not interested. I did go there for one day on a cruise, and decided then that I would only stay outside the main bay (Like the Princess), but getting to-and-fro the main business district was a major problem. Just too much crime for me.

andywww
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by andywww » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:39 pm

I live in Acapulco, and have not yet been to PV, but let me respond.

As a tourist, I think you will not likely run into any crime/problems in ACA, anymore than you would in PVR or elsewhere in Mexico. There is always the chance, but if you stay to the usual tourist things and use your head you won't have problems more than you might have at home.

That being said, ACA is a big city (over 1.5 million, maybe more, and PVR is about 300 thousand I think). If you venture outside the main tourist areas into some neighborhoods or rural areas, all bets are off. Guerrero is one of the poorest and also most violent states in Mexico, outside the violence in some US border areas. Despite this, I have been doing just that, venturing off the beaten track, but I live here and have perhaps some better radar than the very few Gringos who get into trouble. Not that I haven't had some problems...learning experiences you might say.

Acapulco is a major destination for Mexicans, specifically Mexicans from DF (Mexico City). They are referred to here, usually derisively by the locals, as Chilangos. But the Mexican Government promotes ACA for Mexicans, and places like PVR, Cancun, Huatulco, etc, for foreign tourists. So to some extent, ACA is perhaps more Mexican. Depending upon the season, you will see many more Mexican tourists than foreign tourists. However, there are 2 Wal-Marts, a COSTCO, a Sam's, Office Max, Office Depot, Sears, Home Depot, perhaps 6 MacDonald's, several KFC, several Pizza Huts, etc. By virtue of size and demand, lots of US influences.

Acapulco is known for its nightlife, discos, bars on the beach, and partying all night long. By virtue of size, there are probably many more options in Acapulco than PVR, but does that really matter? Probably not, unless you just want a change.

Also, by virtue of size, there is a ton of traffic. Getting from the "new ACA" (out where the airport, Princess and Mayan Palace and other newer hotels/resorts are) into downtown (where the major clubs and discos are) can be time consuming. There is one road, which varies from 4 to 2 lanes with a passing lane at different points. There is almost always a lot of traffic going the direction you would be going as a tourist if you stayed in the "new" and ventured into the "old". I am usually going the opposite direction, so it's not that bad for me, except during the times of major road construction.

I am looking to come to PVR and check it out, since I wouldn't mind a smaller city, perhaps more traditional. ACA is growing and changing fast, too fast for my taste. But for some visitors, it is just the ticket, and there are many foreigners who swear by ACA.

Andy

flyawayplus4
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by flyawayplus4 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:32 am

Hmmmm
Since this a PV board could the answer be PV??

Heard Acapulco was the place to be many moons ago.
Today hands down . PV is the 1st choice!

stew

Post by stew » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:42 pm

plus4 (Apr 21, 2005 12:32 a.m.)

Heard Acapulco was the place to be many moons ago.
Today hands down . PV is the 1st choice!

PV or acapulco? How about Zihuatanejo? It's like PV abput 30 years ago. now I love PV, Meleque, Manzanillo, Patzcuaro, Uruapan OH Heck I love all of Mexico! If you want lots of nightlife, if you are gay, if you love AI , love to interact with tons of peddlers than PV is the perfect place. If you want laid back beachs (Playa Larga or Tronconesbeach are like going to Mismaloya or Punta de Minta 30 years ago, great food at very lov prices (Pozole alley a full chicken dinner 28 prsos or Enchilada dinner 14 pesos) , the best Bules Club South of Oakland than give Zihua a try. The thing I dislike about Acapulcio is 1. The size 2. the extensive slums 3. The whole high rise experience.
All are interesting I enjoy all. I just spent 3 months in Mexico 1 week in Acapulco, 2 months in Zihua (but traveling on 3 & 4 day trips to Uruapan, Patzcaro, Morelia & other spots) a week in the Manzanill/Melque/Colima triangle & 2 weeks in my first love PV. I will promise you this you will have a great time at any or all!
PS Now I am not saying that my gay friends will not enjoy or be welcome in the other cities I mention because they will be.

mexico-mvt
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mexico-mvt » Tue May 05, 2009 2:36 pm

andywww wrote:I

Acapulco is a major destination for Mexicans, specifically Mexicans from DF (Mexico City). They are referred to here, usually derisively by the locals, as Chilangos. But the Mexican Government promotes ACA for Mexicans, and places like PVR, Cancun, Huatulco, etc, for foreign tourists. So to some extent, ACA is perhaps more Mexican. Depending upon the season, you will see many more Mexican tourists than foreign tourists. However, there are 2 Wal-Marts, a COSTCO, a Sam's, Office Max, Office Depot, Sears, Home Depot, perhaps 6 MacDonald's, several KFC, several Pizza Huts, etc. By virtue of size and demand, lots of US influences.
That's great! At least if Mexican food is too hot for our pallete, we can eat fast food just like anywhere in the world. Are the prices in Wal-Mart the same as in USA?

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Mexican WalMart

Post by smitty » Mon May 11, 2009 6:51 pm

I guess it depends on what you are buying but I find the PV WalMart prices comparable to what we pay here - electronics aside - being a lot cheaper here .

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Imported products such as packaged foods and electronics are significantly more expensive and there is no Best Buy to keep the electronics competitive. We got a better deal at Office Depot than at Costco on our new computer.

michalj72
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by michalj72 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:18 pm

thanks Andy for your honest take on acapulco, sounds like you really enjoy it there (and know how to take care of yourself). personally i came here many years ago and fell in love with the town, wanted to stay here to enjoy the beach and do some writing for a year perhaps two and it turned into 16 so far. in spite of the many changes here, most it the very unwelcomed overdevelopments in town and along the entire Bay coast, I still love living by the beach, having a great view of the Bay, being within walking distance of just about everything i need and at a much lower cost than to be found probably anywhere on the west coast of the States, i have stayed here so far.

But Acapulco has always intrigued me and I suppose sooner or later I will have to check it out for myself.....it's a ways to drive down the coast but i'll probably go with some surfer friends for a few days stop on our way even further south. for the time being, Vallarta and this area is for me

somewherentime
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Sorry but I've been to both

Post by somewherentime » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 pm

And PV won hands down. Been to PV many times and there is just something about that town that grabs my heart. I had learned to look at Vallarta through the eyes of a local, I was lucky and met some wonderful people on my first visit there many years ago and stayed friends with them. Every time I returned they treated my like their sister and welcomed me with open arms. They taught me how to see things there the way they do, going to the waterfalls when everyone has left, driving to Punta Mita by jeep and eating on the beach at peoples homes. Taking water taxis, local buses or just walking miles in the jungle hiking seeing birds and other wild life like bores drinking in the river. I could go on and on about that wonderful place, it tugs at my heart strings. I haven't been back because of certain emotional reasons and it hurts when I hear some people say it's changed. Maybe I will return to take care of unfinished business and I can see for myself but I think I will always defend Vallarta because it's magical in my mind, it's a place that gets in your blood.

army88
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

PV. or ACA.

Post by army88 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:02 am

Pv is the $!@#.. The city is just right! The people you meet are great, and the weather is perfect in the winter. And the fishn is awsome!

somewherentime
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Woo Hoo

Post by somewherentime » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:07 pm

my friend, thumbs up back at ya!!!!! [rocks]

montyjam
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

ACA v PV

Post by montyjam » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:11 pm

I've been to both. Went to ACA first, three years in a row and loved it.

Then I went to PV and I will never go back to ACA. For one thing, I think the quality and variety of restaurant food in PV is better. It attracts more international chefs for some reason. That's a good enough reason for me to keep coming back to PV, year after year.

allangering
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by allangering » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 am

With Continental they have a "circle trip" concept where you can fly to PV, then they would use Aero Mexico for the connecting to Acapulco then you would just fly from Acapulco back to Newark. I can't get pricing or details yet because they haven't scheduled the flights that far in advance yet.. but I figured if there was a train that might be a nice trip, although, the flights might be even more then... we shall see... but the bus trip does sound kind of scary.. I wonder if there is a train.