any shots for my kid?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

bounce530
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
any shots for my kid?

Post by bounce530 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:24 pm

I will be on my way to PV in late March, and have no concerns about health issues for myself, but I will be bringing my 10yo daughter. What shots and/or vac's, if any, should she get? She has never been to Mexico before, but she is in great health. I just want to make sure she can do everything there is to do and eat the great food, without having to shy away from something because it might make her sick. Like, eating corn in a cup on Sunday, or a mango on a stick on the beach.
I am sure this has been covered before, but my search didn't really bring up anything.
Thanks,
Adam.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm

My 6 year old has been 7 times and has not been sick. I have never gotten her any shots outside of her regular ones. She has eaten the mango, shrimp, fish, all on a stick. Haven't done the corn but wouldn't see any problem with it. Just remember to do all of it in moderation so that her stomach gets use to those types of food. Don't get her to try a whole bunch of everything in one or two days.

Remember just because my daughter hasn't been sick doesn't necessarily mean yours won't. Also, if you feel better by her getting some shots/vac's then by all means do it then you won't have to worry during your vacation. I also would recommend that you go talk to her doctor about this and see what he/she would recommend.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:02 pm

By all means...talk to your doctor. Also, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/travel/destinat.htm has a very good website. Check it out. Chuck... 8)

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:21 pm

Just 2 more words. Mosquito repellant.

mjbenson
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

shots

Post by mjbenson » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:22 am

Always a good idea to get hepatitis A shots. Hep B too if they don't immunize in school for it. In Alberta all kids in grade 5 get the Hep B. My kids all got the Hep A before we went, it was one shot and then one booster shot 6 months later.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:13 am

You kid probably has had every thing she should need. PV is not a place any different from any city in the US.