how is the water/ocean -- i hear its foamy??????

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lincolnaz
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
how is the water/ocean -- i hear its foamy??????

Post by lincolnaz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:09 pm

i'm set to go to PV the end of the month (july)... i am hearing that the water is foamy or has some type of slug.... please advise?

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Rain

Post by Jennybean » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:12 pm

You're going in the middle of rainy season, and the bay has several river tributaries that flow into it from the mountains, which can give it a churned appearance. It's just silt and mud mostly, entirely natural.

It's nothing to worry about IMO. If you're staying at a hotel near the mouth of one of the rivers you'll see more of this.

It's a natural occurrence and should NOT be mistaken for sludge, pollution, etc. that many refer to it as. It is natural ocean detritus and dirt.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 pm

I'll second that opinion. I'm always hearing people worrying about polluted water in Mexico, but I don't think it's much worse than So. Calif. beaches. I love swimming in the ocean there and have not had aproblem yet.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:59 am

JennyBean is right, a little foamy, but not enough to get a good shave. You have to take your own can of foamy ( I prefer the jell myself), and your own soap and backscratcher also...

Trust me on this..... use the ocean....the hotels tend to frown when you use their facility. Ours kicked me right out of the kiddy pool.

hawaiiantropic
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by hawaiiantropic » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:16 am

I've also seen that it's no good for snorkeling...true or not true? I'm not looking for the best conditions imaginable, but I hope it's better than a muddy lake!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:29 pm

HT,
You are going well after the rainy season is over, so it will not be a muddy lake. Hawaii and the Caribbean it is not but you can find some decent snorkeling in PV.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:26 pm

Snorkling at the Marietas Islands is quite decent, plenty of tropical fish to look at and the water is warm. There are a number of tour boats that go there that range from family friendly to downright rowdy. Have a very good time.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:21 am

The only problem I have with the Marietas is not knowing how rough it is going to be until you get all the way out there. 25 miles is a long way to go to find out you have to fight the conditions to keep from getting slammed into the rocks. I have been out there when it was as smooth as you could ask for and I have been out there when we had waves breaking in the boat.

People who have snorkeled before might not find it as big a problem as someone who is going for the first time.