Newbie to Mexico and need help!

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan
Newbie to Mexico and need help!

Post by mamba72001 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:38 pm

I am a little overwhelmed at the moment.
I am headed to PVR in 4 weeks with my 2 sons, 16 & 13.
I have never been to Mexico.

We are staying at the Riu Jalisco but I want to travel outside the resort for some meals and to give the boys a taste of the country.

I have no idea where to go and because I am on my own with the kids I am a little nervous venturing off property. Nervous Mom I guess.

Both boys love Mexican food, although I am sure its Canadianized at home here but I'd like some suggestions where I can take them to eat.
I have seen Pipi's mentioned and Dacquiri Dicks but I am not sure if they are kid friendly.
Also, Fajita something in Nuevo, which I beleive we are close to?

Where should I take them for an afternoon of shopping and sightseeing?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated.
I want this experience to be a good one for my boys.

Thanks in advance.
Lori

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:22 pm

well first off you are about 20 - 30 minutes by Taxi from downtown Puerto Vallarta... now if you want some thing fun to do with a local flare, just go north of your resort to a little town called Bucerieas, there is some excellent resturants (El Pescador, Dugarels, etc)

now if you are coming into to town, there are numberous places to shop, site see, and dine at... take a taxi to McDonald's corner, and start walking south along the malecon... there are plenty of little shops and store fronts, places to dine at, statues, and then when you get down close to the plaza you will se the Cathedral there, etc. etc etc...

enjoy your vacation with your boys... you will find just about everthing is kid friendly down there... and yes there is plenty "Americanized" or Canadianized" stuff down there.. there are plenty of tourist traps down there...

again enjoy....

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Everything is "kid-friendly." Pipi's most definitely. I would describe the ambience as raucous, in a friendly way. It's not one of our favorites, but we do endorse it for families.

Another super-friendly spot is Mariscos Tino's in Pitillal, a small town inland from PV and a bit closer to Bucerias. Cab drivers all know it.

After a while, you can close in on other places depending on your taste. Word of mouth works fine if you have time.

If you have two teenage boys, you might want to keep them active, and the Vallarta Adventures are pretty good. They're a little pricey but they do try to have fun, and be educational without being tedious.

Buy or download some maps. And Google Earth is fun too.

In the meantime, keep bouncing around this BB and asking questions.

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

What I meant by Canadianized is that I am sure our Mexican food at home pales in comparison to all the flavours of authentic Mexican food and the kids are excited about eating a much of it as possible!
They are teenagers and both really enjoy Mexican food.

I am looking forward to trying some different types of Mexican beer myself!
Can't wait!

I'll keep looking at all the great information on these threads.

Thanks again!

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm

You mentioned that YOU are taking YOUR sons to Mexico. Make sure that you have the required, notorized statement signed by their father allowing you to do this, or paperwork showing his lack of parental control. You can get the exact wording for the statement from your airline or travel agent. Chuck...

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by oneistwo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 pm

"I am looking forward to trying some different types of Mexican beer myself! Can't wait! "

Now you're talking. My favorite is Pacifico, and Bohemia for a change of pace. I'm spoiled now, and will absolutely never drink Corona.

Go to the "Favorite Mexican Cerveza" thread in the Restaurants, etc. section, and jump in.

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks Chuck.
I already have a letter notarized from their father, my ex husband.

Fortunately we have a terrific relationship so its never an issue.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:30 am

For authentic mexican food for a really amazing price, go downtown PV to the market. Go over the swinging bridge into the large building which holds hundreds and hundreds of little vendors/shops. Go upstairs and there are quite a few restaurants run by locals. I ate at two of them last winter (can't remember the names of course) but the food was great and I had lots of food on my plate for around 40 pesos. Take the boys to Los Muertos beach and buy some shrimp or other other freshly caught fish on a stick. Ohhhh so yummy and cheap too. If you eat at a taco stand just observe for a little while before you choose which one to eat at. Choose the one with the most people/locals. the person serving should not be taking money. If you are going to be there on Sunday then you must go downtown for sure, spend the late afternoon and evening on the malecon. There is so much activity, artists, painters, vendors, food and entertainment etc. etc. that you will be sorry if you missed it. All the entertainment is free (tipping is welcome) and the food is great. Fresh crepes, grilled corn, strawberries and whipped cream ... well, I could go on and on but I better stop because I'm making myself hungry.
Bus rides are a cheap source of entertainment also. Just ask the driver if he's going to your destination before you get on. He'll say yes or no, if yes then get on, sit down asap and hang on baby, hang on!

Joyce

kgs
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kgs » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 pm

Fajita Republic in Nuevo is very good and I think it is close to Riu Jalisco. Also the restaurants in the Nuevo Vallarta Marina are good (one italian that I can't recall the name of). And you can take many of the tours mentioned by others from the marina in Nuevo - saving time. The Rythms of the Night tour is great. Your boys would probably most enjoy a zip lining tour - a thrilling ride through the treetops. There are several options for a zip lining tour. And finally there are the off road vehicle tours in the Sierra Madre mountains that any kid would love. Enjoy.

hawaiiantropic
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by hawaiiantropic » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:20 am

I was just showing off this board to my mom and she wanted to throw in her two cents...
"You said you will be traveling with two teenage boys, and I just wanted to say HATS OFF TO YOU!!! With two teenage boys, however,always remember do not get offended if you hear an "Aw geez Mom" Or "Mom, don't do that I'm embarassed" They're both just at that age where having fun with mom just seems so uncool. The first time I took my little beachbum (hawaiiantropic) on a mother-daughter trip, she looked like she wanted to scream every time I would remind a boy her age (taking a 13 year old girl to Florida during Spring Break is NOT an experience I would like to repeat.) But 8 years later we still talk and laugh about how much fun and how much we'd like to do it again."

I definitely agree..I think I threw an "OMG MOM YOU ARE SO LAME" her was about every 20 minutes, but bless her heart she just smiled and kept a positive outlook the whole time even when I know I was being a brat. Now that I'm past the terrible teenage years, I would definitely say that it is something I will never forget and we STILL laugh about it! HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!

mamba72001
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by mamba72001 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:57 pm

LOL....I tell my boys that if I have embarrassed them then I consider my job as their mother to be successful!

Yeah....spring break with ym boys would not be something I'd like to experience.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.
I have made pages of notes that I am bringing with me.

13 more sleeps.............

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:21 pm

i think you'll be surprised how much there is to do and eat
right in the nuevo area, but to agree with an earlier post, if you
want to travel a few miles for dining, definitely head north just
a few miles to bucerias - just tell taxi to bring you to town square
which is the south end of about 6-8 restaurants right in a row,
all beachfront, all have menus to read before entering,
and it's a wonderful small town besides. check out this website.
buceriasmexico.com

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:03 am

On that subject (restraunts in N.V.) La Laguna is still terrific but it has definately gained in popularity so that now reservations are strongly advised. 1st time we went ther were only 2 other couples there. Just can't keep a secret anymore. 8)