Make sure your stomach is prepared

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Make sure your stomach is prepared

Post by Arizona Karen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:30 pm

We're getting excited to come down in May and I reminded myself to buy some probiotics to prepare for our trip.

Even if you don't drink the PV water, new germs are introduced into the stomach of which the natural probiotics needed for these new germs might not be in good supply as one's body produces what it needs based on where one lives and what one is used to.

Acidophilus is readily available in tablet form and chewables and it is recommended that one begin taking a daily or per meal dose 4 to 6 weeks before traveling to minimize possible stomach problems. We use the tablet form prior to our trip which usually requires refrigeration and then we take the chewables with us so that we can eat them before each meal.

Of course this won't help the stomach with over indulgence; that's what papaya extract (or fresh) is for OR, heaven forbid, staying away from whatever the culprit is BUT it is vacation after all.

Bon Appetit and Bon Voyage

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:47 pm

I had absolutely no problem with my stomach in PV and I ate and drank everywhere. Taco stands late at night and water in restaurants. Most of the time you get bottled water anyway which I never found to be expensive contrary to what some people were saying. I was taking Acidophilus most days as I was on antiobiodics for a sinus infection but my friend wasn't and she was fine too. Years ago I would have been more concerned in PV but these days I think you would have to travel out into the countryside before you would really need to take alot of precautions.

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

misunderstanding

Post by Arizona Karen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:14 pm

I wasn't trying to imply that PV is dirty and full of germs. The type of germs I was referring to are the ones found naturally and everywhere. Even going from state to state in the US, one's stomach can be introduced to germs it isn't used to. Taking probiotics simply helps by increasing the good germs in the stomach.

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:23 pm

Oh I know, for us its not just the change in food but a drastic change in climate. Three years ago in Mexico I felt a little under the weather the whole time but this time I felt fabulous so who knows why? Acidophilus isn't going to hurt and I think I might even start taking it on a regular basis!

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 pm

It is also a good idea to take acidophilus for a couple of weeks after getting home. The tummy gets used to what you were eating on vacation and needs to adjust back to north of the border again. My wife forgot on one trip and had problems about 4 days after we got home, that was maybe 10 or 11 trips ago, now she remembers and no problems since.

teatrolimon
PV Guru
PV Guru

ye old panza

Post by teatrolimon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:52 pm

now hear ye hear ye

i promise to make your panza ane freind

i just love that saying lol

bruce

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Arizona Karen a very good post.. :) :)

Probiotics have helped many people with IBS..Colits and other Intestinal problems..Probiotics also helps support Immune systems..
Pharmacists and Doctors are recommending using them...

Some yogurts have Acidophilus in them and that is good but one really has to eat more than a little container of yogurt a day for it to be a help to them.... Also some systems can not tolerate yogurt..
I take the probiotics in tablet form off and on throughout the year before traveling and found that they have been a great help to me..

and karen... I agree with you about over indulgence..........I believe in eating healthy foods and most of all staying fit no matter if a person is on vacation or at home... :) :)
Last edited by Plus4 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 pm

One thing people do not think of is, if you are in the habit of taking any type of antacid medication, it does a very good job of getting rid of the acid in your stomach. That acid protects you against bacteria from water and food that you drink, so when you consume foods and drinks that your system does not have an immunity built up to you have done away with the acid that fights the foreign bacteria. So beware if you have GERD or any type of stomach ailment that makes it necessary for you to use antacids on a daily basis.

I never (knock on wood) get sick in PV and I eat at alot of local places that most tourists do not eat at (one of the advantages of having a mexican partner that is an excellent cook and knows where to find all the good local food). :D

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tummy Troubles

Post by smitty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:48 pm

My biggest troubles occur when I drink too many beers and think jalapenos are too mild and I need to challenge the habanero ! Aye chihuahua ! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99CT3wQmiFU

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Funny how things aren't as hot after a couple of drinks! Absolut for me! On the rocks!

modmama
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by modmama » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Anyone have a brand name of a probiotics supplement they prefer? I checked at the drugstore the other day and was overwhelmed by the brands, not to mention kinds, of probiotics offered...

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:20 pm

I like the Enzymatic Acidophilus Pearls. They don't have to be refrigerated and they work very well.

Arizona Karen
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

To Modmama

Post by Arizona Karen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 pm

We prefer GNC Natural Brand Acidophilus 1.5B CFU Chewable Vegetarian Tablets, Strawberry or Nature's Bounty Chewable Acidophilus with bifidus, Natural Strawberry Flavor.

Both are chewable which usually means it doesn't need refrigeration.

Always check the content of acidophilus or other probiotic as some are very low which means you need to take quite a few of them to equal the content from another brand.

I get both from drugstore.com.