Digital camera memory cards xrayed?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

minrose
PV Fan
PV Fan
Digital camera memory cards xrayed?

Post by minrose » Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:52 pm

We are planning a trip To Puerto Vallarta in January. We plan on bringing our digital camera and our 35 mm camera. I have a digital camera that has memory cards to store the photos on, will going through the xray machine at the airport hurt what they have stored on them. I don't want to lose any of the hopefully good photos I take on the trip. Has any one had any problem with this. I have an Olympus 3000 digital camera and it uses a smart media card.
Thanks,

Caren

Re:Digital camera memory cards xrayed?

Post by Caren » Thu Dec 13, 2001 2:31 am

We have an olympus D-490Zoom and it also has smart media cards. We went to Mexico last yr. and everything you carry on, including our camera went through the xray. This did not hurt our pictures! Hope this helps.

bsimpson
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by bsimpson » Thu Dec 13, 2001 3:58 pm

Just a tip.... Take all films/digital memory cards out of the respective camera(s), place them in a lead-lined film storage bag (available at just about any photo store for a reasonable price) and put the bag in your checked luggage vs. carryon. Been travelling a lot of years - never had a problem.

mooch

Post by mooch » Thu Dec 13, 2001 6:35 pm

The consensus seems to be overwhelmingly that airport xrays will not harm memory cards or digital cameras. I haven't had personal experience (am in the process of getting one now), but a GOOGLE search was pretty convincing. If interested take a look at: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fet ... _id=001OdM for several opinions.

Dave

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Fri Dec 14, 2001 3:21 pm

Have had Digitals with me the last three years. Never had the the memory card either in the cameras or in the camera bags bothered by the Xray.

minrose
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by minrose » Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:22 pm

Could you also carry your memory cards on your person so it would not get xrayed or is a metal detector not good either? Thanks for all the replies.