minor traveling w/one parent

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
minor traveling w/one parent

Post by desi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:27 am

Anyone divorced and traveling w/minor(mine 16) have any problem going through customs w/out permission from the other nonexistent parent? My daughters sperm donor is non existant in her/ours life and we have not had any contact with him in a couple of years. She now has her passport but in the past travels we have had to track him down and have him give us a permission slip to go across the border. Our airline only "suggest" that we have a notorized slip when coming back from MX. Just wondering if anyone has traveled in the past few months and has or has not been questioned.

Tom1
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Tom1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:15 pm

I travelled with my 12-year old daughter a month ago to Mexico and had to provide an official notarized letter from my wife three times, as I recall - at the airport check-in, to Mexican officials when we were leaving Mexico (they carefully read the letter twice and asked for the advice of a superieur) and again finally by Canadian immigration officials at our return (we have Canadian passports).

It may be a pain, but you really do need that letter (or alternatively an official document clearly stating that your daughter is the sole legal guardian of her child). Otherwise she could have problems including being denied permission to board the airplane.

cbeepa1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by cbeepa1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:25 pm

Our niece unfortunately ignored our advice in a similar situation last month. She was unable to board a plane bound for Mexico with her son until 20 hours later when she received the appropriate paper work. She was also required to produce proof of permission to travel with him before she was allowed to board their return flight from Puerto Vallarta to San Francisco.

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by desi » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks everyone....I will definetly find a way to get the needed paperwork. Wasnt sure since she now had a passport if i would need it but sounds like I do. I have the court papers showing full custody but I'm not chancing my vacation on it! Thanks again.....This time in 4wks from today I will be sifting my toes in the sand of PV!

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by desi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Just as an FYI...I found a form online to use as a template in case anyone else is looking for one. http://www.sfsu.edu/~oip/travelhandouts/MinorChild.pdf
18 days and counting down!!!!

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by desi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:22 pm

yea I got my paper work back signed and notorized! one more thing to mark off my check list!
Thanks again everyone

seldomred
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by seldomred » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:35 pm

the airline should also have a photocopy of the letter on file. its in their interest as well. insist that the clerk take a copy on check-in. seriously.

more than one copy is also a good idea. leave one with someone at home just in case!

i realize you are likely there and home by now, but this will come up for someone else reading here. im sure its good fyi for other travellers. no doubt.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:18 pm

I doubt very much that you will find the airlines willing to handle copies of consent letters for minors. For them to have to keep track of when you leave and when you return so that they can dispose of the letters when your trip is over (not to mention the private information that would be on those letters and the privacy laws that would be involved for them storing and disposing of them) it would be a nightmare for them. They do not take keep a copy of your passport. Both are govermental requirements, not airline requirements (they just enforce the law by verifying the letter/passport before they issue your boardiing pass and let you fly out of the country on their plane).

Just keep it in a safe place with your passports and plane tickets back.