marriage license?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

minrose
PV Fan
PV Fan
marriage license?

Post by minrose » Sun Dec 23, 2001 3:25 am

I was reading in a travel book for Mexico that a woman should bring her official marriage license to prove that she changed her name when married, because on your birth certificate it will have your maiden name. Is this really necessary, I would rather not bring my marriage license??What are everyone's experience on this. We plan on just bringing certified birth certificates and our photo id drivers license as proof of citizenship of the US.

Elizabeth

Re:You need to bring it. A lot of the officials check that.

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Dec 23, 2001 7:34 pm

And some will question you as to why your name is different. You could get stuck waiting in the U.S. Consulate, until your paperwork comes through, like we did.

nmathis
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re:marriage license?

Post by nmathis » Sun Dec 23, 2001 8:14 pm

Your best bet would be to get a passport for you and your husband. This will save you some hassle getting through customs. The passport is good for 10 years. If you got a passport prior to getting married, you can update your passport to your married name by filling out form DS-19 and following the instructions found at http://travel.state.gov/name_change.html There you can print and fill out the necessary paperwork and send it in to the appropriate agency.

KAT

Post by KAT » Mon Dec 24, 2001 3:18 pm

I have been going to vallarta since 1989 , (at least 25 trips) with just my birth certificate and photo I.D. and have NEVER had a problem, I WAS JUST THERE 11/15/01 AND NO PROBLEM. I did hear a rumor that starting 1/1/02, it will be necessary to have a passport to travel to Mexico, at least from the states. You might want to check that out before you go, THE AIRLINES SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELLYOU.

minrose
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by minrose » Mon Dec 24, 2001 11:21 pm

Well, I sure hope we don't need a passport as we are going on January 2 and it is too late to get passports. I think I will have to call the travel agent and she what she says. She never mentioned anything about needing a passport on January 2 or about me needing a marriage license so....

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Dec 26, 2001 1:34 am

I am sure that they would accept a copy of the Marriage license