Travelers Checks Still A Good Idea?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru
Travelers Checks Still A Good Idea?

Post by sjl330 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 am

I've heard some talk about cambios and even banks not accepting travelers checks for exchange. We always bring them so we don't have to carry cash. We've never used our credit cards to get cash at an ATM, even here in the states and feel a little uncomfortable starting now, especially on a vacation. So if anyone has been down or is down there now and can give me some feedback on this I'd really appreciate it. We stay down by Los Muertos beach and have never had a problem in the past. We just want to make sure before we head down at the end of the month.

Can't wait!!!!

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Banorte on Olas Altas is refusing them now.

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Is that the one under Plaza Dorada condos? What about the other banks and cambios?

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:13 pm

sjl330 wrote:Is that the one under Plaza Dorada condos?
Yes.

Zeewot
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Re: Travelers Checks Still A Good Idea?

Post by Zeewot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:42 am

sjl330 wrote:I've heard some talk about cambios and even banks not accepting travelers checks for exchange. We always bring them so we don't have to carry cash. We've never used our credit cards to get cash at an ATM, even here in the states and feel a little uncomfortable starting now, especially on a vacation. So if anyone has been down or is down there now and can give me some feedback on this I'd really appreciate it. We stay down by Los Muertos beach and have never had a problem in the past. We just want to make sure before we head down at the end of the month.

Can't wait!!!!
We just got back yesterday and over the month we were there it was hit and miss with the cambio's some do some don't. One of the ones by Andales on Olas Altas took them most days but some days they wanted to charge a 2% fee. We did find a bank...don't remember the name (BMex maybe??) just over the IL Vallarta bridge on the Malacon side in a little plaza that did take them and offered a good rate. See my post also under warnings topics here regarding using bank machines.

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan

Travelers checks?

Post by KathleenStrobb » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:51 pm

I was wondering about this too. Last year we had a hard time cashing American express travelers checks.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:53 pm

if you're staying at a hotel, check the front desk, they might change them. the los arcos always did when we stayed there.

KathleenStrobb
PV Fan
PV Fan

Thank you

Post by KathleenStrobb » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:28 pm

thanks but we are renting a apartment : :

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:51 am

And we're renting a condo. We decided we'll take some TC's and some cash and use the ATM. I found out our bank doesn't charge anything to use it so we might as well try that. It might make it easier.

Now we'll just wish for good luck and not find a bad ATM machine, lol.

I can't imagine, as many tourists as go to PV, that there aren't a lot of places you can still cash TC's at though. That just doesn't make much sense to me.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:12 am

there is a bancomer atm at the pemex station on insurgentes and m.m dieguez if you're staying in that area. also a cambio window on insurgentes right at basilio badillo with good exchange rates.

sjl330
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by sjl330 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks Benito. We're staying by Lazaro Cardenas park. I'm sure we'll find someplace that'll cash them if we need to. We didn't have any problems last year and I didn't have any problems in June when I brought my granddaughter down. But in June I always used Banorte right under the condo we were in on Olas Altas. I guess they're the ones who aren't taking them anymore. Maybe they'll change their policy during high season?