time to go? what to see?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

stephen
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
time to go? what to see?

Post by stephen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Hello. I am new to the PV scene. I have read many wonderful things about this place and have decided that this is where me and my wife would like to spend our vacation this year. I have a couple general questions and I would like everyones best opinion.
1) When is the best time to go? We may not be able to go until October. Does anyone have any experience with the weather around that time? We were also looking at late June, bad idea??
2) What are the must see places? I like historical things and she likes the sites. Maybe one or 2 nights of lively action/shows, possible?
3) AI or not? We have done AI before and loved it. Not having to worry about money and just enjoying ourselves. However, I have read that there are a ton of good restraunts around PV. If we choose not to do AI and do eat out everyday, how expensive is the food. Fancy, casual, dining??

Thanks for ya'lls time and opinions. We can't wait to go!!
Oh, and we would probably be there 4 nights, 5 days, if that helps. :D
Thanks!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm

1. June is the beginning of rainy season, it is getting hotter and more humid. You may seen rain in the late afternoon/early evening. If they have thunder and lightening you will see some amazing light shows around the bay at night.

October is the end of the rainy season...still hot and humid and then one day it will be like someone flipped a switch and the humidity and heat leaves. Don't get me wrong it is still warm but not the you need 4 showers a day warm. I go down in October all the time...it is the very beginning of high season so there are not as many people, the restaurants are all open again after closing for vacation or painting/remodeling. A great time of the year to go.

2) Walk on the Malecon on Sunday night, you will see alot of Mexican families out enjoying the sights, and various acts taking place in that area. The statues along the malecon and the sand sculptures are always interesting. Walk over to the southside of town which has more of an "Old Mexico flair" with cobblestone streets and alot of great restaurants and shops.

3). AI is a personal preference but in PV I would never do it because PV is a food lovers paradise with so many good restauants you always go home having missed some of the ones you wanted to go to. The food can range from street taco carts to high-end restaurants so you can spend as much or as little as you want. If you are only going to be there 4 nights try to make one of those nights Sunday so you can experience the Malecon. Also stay in Puerto Vallarta and not Nuevo Vallarta if you want to see the sights of PV. From Nuevo it can take you up to 45 min to get into PV and the taxi each way is about $20.00.

Hope this helps!

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 pm

I would definitely rather go in October than June, if I had to choose. One of the downsides of June (besides very hot and rainy) is that there might be lots of teenagers there for graduation trips. In October, quite a few restaurants are closed until about October 15, so choose after Oct 15 if you can. Plus, a little cooler than early October.

I read about a museum on Isla Cuale, but I have never been there. They are just building a cultural center on the east end of the the Isla Cuale in the center of town.

There are many dance places in town and in the hotel zone. Depends on what type of music you like. There are some shows too, and I'm sure you can find specific info on this website. If I was only going for 4 nights, however, I don't think I would want to go to any shows. On the weekends especially, there is free entertainment on the Malecon, and people-watching is fun.

I would never do AI, and if you choose your restaurants wisely, you don't have to worry about money either. If you figure about $100/day for food and drinks, you should be able to stay within that. Add more $$ if you tend to eat or drink alot. If you want to go to fancier restaurants and order martinis and wine, you could spend $150-200 on one meal. If I can email you, I'll send you a list of places that are good and are not expensive.

Sally

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm

We have never been in June but have been down there a few times the end of Oct. and did enjoy it!! It was more humid than we were used to after going in Feb. We were there over Thanksgiving this last Nov. and it was great weather!! Going back March 14th and can't wait to get away from the cold and snow!! Enjoy!!!

stephen
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by stephen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. Very insightful. Now I am beginning to rethink the whole AI thing. I was not aware of the restraunts remodeling/painting in the off season. Great inside info!
Just curious, but in ya'lls opinion, is 4nights 5 days enough time to take in most of PV???

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:13 am

I think you should go for minimum of one week, but the longer the better, to get into the groove.

Sally

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:59 am

[quote="stephen"]Thanks for all the great tips everyone. Very insightful. Now I am beginning to rethink the whole AI thing. I was not aware of the restraunts remodeling/painting in the off season. Great inside info!

Just curious, but in ya'lls opinion, is 4nights 5 days enough time to take in most of PV???[/quote
]

NO its not but better than nothing.
Joyce

rffranks
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

PV in June

Post by rffranks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:21 pm

FWIW my wife and I went in mid-June last year (2008) and it rained every single day. We love PV and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - but this year we're going in April in hopes of better weather. We've traveled to Mexico for years and from June - August you're taking your chances as it's the rainy season.

PV is by far our favorite destination. The Malecon is a never-ending source of entertainment and the restaurants and galeries are tough to beat.

Enjoy!

rffranks
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

PV

Post by rffranks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Oh and forgot - too many wonderful restaurants to limit yourself to AI IMHO - and at least a full week if possible.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm

We stay at the GCP and do AI when we go but we still go off property and eat. We feel it is the best of both worlds and works great for us. I have to agree that is not enough time but as Joyce said better than nothing. Normally we go for 2 weeks in Feb. but are going for one week in March so that is a big change for us due to may changing jobs. You will love PVR and the people!!! :D

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm

My husband and I went to PV in October last year and it was AWESOME! The weather was hot, but nothing that a dip in the ocean didn't cure. We just kinda stayed close to the water until it cooled off in the evenings. Also, we stayed at an AI, but as others have already said, didn't always eat on the resort. Rhythm of the Nights was REALLY cool. You should try to make a point of seeing that.

stephen
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

pv here we come!

Post by stephen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 am

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say thank you for all your insight and opinions on PV. We have finally decided on a date and a place. We will be going down in Oct. and will be staying at the GCP. And you all convinced my wife to stay for a full week! Thanks and maybe I will see some of you down there. Man, October is so far away :(

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 am

stephen you and your lovely just have to meet Tom and Lorrie....
You will enjoy :D

beachluvr
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by beachluvr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:14 pm

usually every year our group (6 of us) like to rent a driver/van for day
and head north. pick your spots/towns; plenty of options along coast or
inland.....we enjoy doing our own deal, not attached to larger tour group.
last week enjoyed trip to san pancho, sayulita, punta de mita then back.
took 7 hours, was perfect.

lojol60
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by lojol60 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Totally agree with Kat about going down to the Malecon on Sunday late afternoon/evening. There will be vendors everywhere with lots of wonderful food to eat and wares to see. There usually is free entertainment at the outdoor amphitheater. All of the Mexican families will be dressed up and walking around. Be sure to try the corn on the cob. The first time my Jamaican friend who lives in PVR wanted me to try it, I thought he was nuts!! I had it with lime juice and salt and it was oh so good. It's also great with mayo on it. My husband loves it with the chipolte sauce. No matter what you can't go wrong. Go and enjoy and see what PVR and the people have to offer! You won't regret it!! :D

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:30 pm

I like Vallarta in the "colder" months, the humid-hot ones just make me go nuts (can't take the sweat and my face goes red and irritated)... so November to March-ish is the time for me.

AI or EP, if your budget is limited take AI and have some spare money to go out and enjoy the great selection of restaurants in Puerto Vallarta. Don't go AI if it'll make you stay on the hotel all day and never wander out, save that for Rep. Dominicana, where hotel visitors are fenced in as in a Zoo ;-)

Things to do, a good selection here: viewtopic.php?t=12719

Greetings

Mogens