Leaving for PV in less then a week - Concerned

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Learning to Travel
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Leaving for PV in less then a week - Concerned

Post by Learning to Travel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 pm

:roll: Well not only am I scared to death of flying, now all this hype about traveling in Mexico. I went last year and had a blast, but was completely unaware of all the violence, however, I'm seeing that the violence in Mexico is no different now then a year ago. I'm traveling with a well seasoned PV traveler, he has been there many many times. I'm still concerned about my safety. Just how safe is PV? Should I be overly concerned? I know that with any traveling I need to keep my thinking cap on and not be oblivious to my surroundings.... Just need some extra advise and a nudge to get me more excited about going I kinda lost that umph! :cry: I would hate to go and worry constantly about getting stabbed, robbed, or kidnapped... oh wait did I just say that, hell, I feel that way daily living in the US, maybe I've just answered my own question!!! Wish me Luck and Keep those Prayers coming for us adventurous travelers! But seriously, we are going to be safer then if we were doing the border thing - right? :?:

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 pm

PV is much safer that a Mexican border town. I'm really not sure how a bunch of strangers can re-assure you of the safety, though. You will get two opinions on how safe PV REALLY is. Since you are going with "a well seasoned PV traveler", ask him to reassure you. Chuck... 8)

Learning to Travel
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thank You

Post by Learning to Travel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Thank you.... I'm sure we will be fine - just a little jittery because of all the negative press. LIke I said I had a blast the last time I was there and looking forward to another visit. Thanks so much for your thoughts... every little thought counts!!!

Take Care! :D

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:32 am

My friend, it is not "negative press". It is factual reporting of happenings. Mostly the border towns, both Mexico's Northern and Southern borders, but some stuff in Cancun, Mexico City and Monterrey. As far as Mexican cities go, PV is pretty safe. Chuck... 8)

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:09 am

pack and bring your common sense with you and you should be fine.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Actually read somewhere that Puerto Vallarta is the city in Jalisco (the state) with most incidents per capita, more than Guadalajara that is a 5 million plus city. Now, considering I've traveled over 30 times to Vallarta without incidents and have lived in Guadalajara over 11 years without a hitch (that includes my friends and acquaintances)... well, I can say both places are very safe by US standards.

Certainly you can get into issues if you frequent less glitzy parts of town, be that in GDL, PVR or LAX, so as long as you use your common sense, avoid getting stinking drunk or high and stagger along a dark street in the rotten part of town, I guess you'll be among the thousands that come by and have no issues at all and keep coming back.

Greetings

Mogens

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:41 pm

As I stated in an message back in Oct/Nov...there was a really large police presence in PVR when we were there this fall (riding around in the backs of pickups with guns, etc). I feel pretty safe there knowing that they have taken steps to increase the security. As others have said, use your common sense and you should be fine. I was in the military for 20+ years and was taught to constantly be aware of my surroundings. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't and you should probably get away from that situation. Go and have a good time, but continue to be aware of your surroundings while having fun.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:58 am

(riding around in the backs of pickups with guns, etc).
They have been doing that for years. That is what they do in Mexico and alot of other Latin American countries. They stand in banks with BIG GUNS too :shock: :lol: . Makes it hard to have a thought even flash through your head about robbing the bank.

BUFFETT 06
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by BUFFETT 06 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Certainly you can get into issues if you frequent less glitzy parts of town, be that in GDL, PVR or LAX, so as long as you use your common sense, avoid getting stinking drunk or high and stagger along a dark street in the rotten part of town, I guess you'll be among the thousands that come by and have no issues at all and keep coming back.

EXACTLY...WELL SAID (or typed).

PV Patty
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by PV Patty » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Morgans,

Where is: dark street in the rotten part of town located? I want to be sure to avoid it!

thanks,

Patty

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:13 pm

Patty,

You will know it when you find it! :lol:

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:46 pm

That part of town is where the Boogie Man is! Chuck... 8)

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Safety Concerns

Post by smitty » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am

A short video on why it is safer to travel in groups ! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBnvGS4u3F0&eurl=

PV Patty
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by PV Patty » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:48 am

ok.. well I better find some penguins quick... lol.. heading down on my own for 5 weeks... in 44 sleeps! woohoo... its my 28th maybe 29th time.. should be ok for the FIRST TIME on my own :) I know the hood well.

salut!

Patty