Less Than 2 weeks - Basic Questions

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan
Less Than 2 weeks - Basic Questions

Post by bgsnmky » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Less than two weeks till we are on our way for our first trip to PV :D

A few questions:

1. can we bring food on the plan and into the country. Example - Coffee, dry goods (granola bars etc).

2. I plan on booking a taxi through this site - head to Villa Del Palmar and then to the grocery store. I think someone said there is one within walking distance across the street. Right??

3. Should we exchange money? I know a lot of places take credit cards and US Dollars...when would we need pesos?

4. Where would you recommend to exchange money, near Villa Del Palmar (I hear the exchange are different).

I am sure there is still more than I will come up with....but any other comments/suggestions would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Stacey

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 pm

Hey Stacey,
The grocery store is right across the street and down a long block. Pizza Hut sits right on the street where it is. You can exchange there when you buy your groceries or there is a bank and a money exchange in that shopping center. The bank may have long lines and that cambio (money exchange) does not give the best rate. The best cambio rate in that area is in Plaza Genovesa about 8 blocks down from VDP. I just hop the bus and go down there, it is right across the street from the Goodyear Tire store (you feel like you are in the U.S. yet, LOL). I take copious amounts of USD (LOL) and exchange them for pesos, bring them back and put it all in the in-room safe. Take out what you think you will need for whatever you are doing that day and leave the rest in your safe. Don't exchange at the hotel, the hotels give the worst rates in town.

You can bring food with you but everything is readily available at Soriana (the supermarket across the street, think a Super-K, Target Greatland, etc. They have pretty much everything. Don't pass up the bakery, their baked goods are great! If you don't feel like carrying it all back there are taxi's right infront and it is about $2-3 for them to take you back across the street, the bellman will then bring everything up to your room for you. It is easier to do that if you stock up on water, soda, juice, all those heavy items that get heavier (I swear their weight doubles) as you carry them in the heat.

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bgsnmky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:06 am

Perfect...thanks..we will just plan on doing the groceries there.

Appreciate the info on the exchange too. Is there a big differenc ein the one at the grocery store and at the Plaza Genovesa.

And what is Plaza Genovesa, a store or bank??

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:38 am

Plaza Genovesa is a shopping plaza as I said about 6 to 8 blocks down (south, away from the airport) from VDP. There is a bank there, a sports bar/restaurant and several other street front stores along with others behind off the street. They usually give some of the best rates in PV, if you do it as a once or twice in your trip run it is worth it since the bus is so inexpensive and it is a quick trip. I am not one to run all over town to get a few more pesos per dollar. This one does give good rates and it works for me but I exchange several hundred dollars at one time. Note I go directly back to the hotel and put it in the safe, I don't go shopping or walking all over town with that much money with me but then I don't walk around at home with several hundred dollars in my wallet. Just use common sense and you will not have any problems at all.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 am

In the same plaza as the Soriana grocery store there is an American Express office that offers a very good exchange rate and charges no commission.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:57 am

When did American Express office move to Plaza Caracol and where is it? It used to be down by Villas Vallarta shopping plaza, I knew it had moved but I didn't think it moved to Plaza Caracol.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:50 pm

It is not in Plaza Caracol, it is next to the new Soriana by the cruise ship terminal. At least it was there in April.

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Questions

Post by smitty » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 pm

The 2 Soriana stores are very close to each other - I still think of the one closer to Villa Del Palmar as Gigante . :) Stacey - the Soriana close to you is in a nice mall - anything you need on vacation you will find there . The prices in the grocery store will be in pesos - that is one of the reasons to convert your $ US . There are exchange booths at the mall and right outside where you are staying , also in your hotel . Your hotel will offer the worst deal - the various street booths will vary by a very small % - I always wonder if a long walk is worth saving a few $ - but if you are exchanging large amounts go for the best rate . Just remember you will take a beating on exchanging pesos back to US $ So only exchange what you intend to spend or save those pesos for your next trip . :)

Plaza Genovese is also a great place to get souvenirs - another reason to use pesos - prices are better when you pay in pesos .

The best advice I can give you is ignore all the time share (ts) people . They are everywhere - that helpful person in Soriana ... the obvious booths on the street ... nothing is free and ts is a blight on PV that can spoil a vacation - be aware and be smart . :)

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bgsnmky » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks everyone!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 am

Plaza Caracol is right across the street from VDP. Gigante was converted into a Soriano about 2 years ago. Plaza Genovesa is closer than the Marina for convenience in changing money. Stacey, if you guys like seafood try Ocho Tostadas behind the Goodyear Tire Store. It is my first stop when I get into town, they close early and are not open for dinner thus my first stop from the airport.

bgsnmky
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by bgsnmky » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:14 am

Hey guys...ok another quesion..I was thinking at first we would go straight to grocerty store etc..but now I am thinking we could hang at the VDP first and then go at night. Do you know how late the Soriano is open in the Plaza Caracol?

Also I think you guys decided there is an Amex office in the Plaza Caracol. Do you know how late that is open.

Will the Sorania exchange money right in that store.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 am

Amex is down near the marina and the new Soriano store by the cruise ships.

Soriano will accept USD for purchases and give you pesos back. They are open until around 10 p.m. There are two cambios in that shopping center but I am not sure how late they are open. You can split your groceries into two orders and have two people pay separately, that should get you enough pesos to get by until you can get to a cambio/bank in the a.m. There is also a bank in Plaza Caracol that you could go to the next a.m. I am sure you will make it work...it's not hard at all.