Exchanging Money

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Tazine68
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Exchanging Money

Post by Tazine68 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I am hearing different advice all around about where to exchange our money. Some people are telling me to just withdraw money from the ATM at the airport in PV others are telling me to have my bank get the money and exchange it here in the US. I was reading about the credit card fraud and ATM machines being tampered with and it make me nervous to use my ATM card now. Or should I withdraw the cash I want here at home, and exchange it when we get to PV? is there somewhere at the airport to exchange money? I won't have any pesos to give the taxi driver for a tip...

I know... rambling on and on...

I am excited to leave next week but also very nervous!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:19 am

Here it is in a nutshell.

Credit cards: A lot of places don't accept them, but most resorts/hotels want one on check-in. I take two just in case of an emergency.

Airport taxis can be paid in US $$$$, not a problem, you will get about 30 cents less on the dollar paying with dollars.

ATM's are everywhere, they require a 4 digit pin #, usually not a problem with US cards. If you bank with BOA they are partners with Santander bank and there are no ATM fees.

Cambios (money exchange's) are everywhere and quick and easy to use. Some banks are not accepting USD. The lines tend to be longer in the banks.

Traveler's checks can be exchanged but sometimes require your passport.

I put all my papers in the safe in my room and leave them there including my passport.

It is all a matter of preference and what you are most comfortable with. I get dropped off at the airport and picked up at the airport in PV so I don't have a problem with taking cash down. I put it in my room safe and exchange it as I need it. I take down $100 in 20's and $50 in 1's for tips, taxi, etc in case I run out of pesos.

I think it is just a matter of personal preference and I, myself, prefer not to worry about the ATM's and fraud, skimming, etc. It happens world-wide but if it happens I want to be home where I have access to other money until they get it straightened out.

Make sure you notify your bank you will be out of the country if you are using a CC or ATM so they don't put a fraud block on it.

Just do whatever you feel most comfortable with and have a great time.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:49 am

Firstly, please allow any anxiety to leave your system. Don't worry!!! Vacations are for relaxing......fraud is the exception, not the rule.

Lots of good information in the above post.......given what you have already expressed, I would bring cash, and change it at the cambios in town or in the hotel zone. You do NOT need any pesos to get a taxi or to tip the driver. You can confidently use American dollars to pay for your taxi and tip.

I usually bring some American dollars, including lots of one dollar bills to use for tips. Then I take pesos out of the ATM machines. I am not worried about fraud, although I pay attention. If something looks funny, avoid it. You get a great exchange rate thru the ATM. The cambio places give a good rate too.

Have fun!!!

Sally

Tazine68
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Tazine68 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I am very excited about the trip and now I have way less to worry about. :)

poppy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Exhcanging Money

Post by poppy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:51 am

If you have American Express, there are two offices, one by Soriana, where the big ships come in, and one in town. No charge to exchange money; just your passport. Banamex requires a copy of your passport every time you exchange dollars, so take extra copies of the face page of your passport for this purpose of you have a Banamex close by, like in Nuevo Vallarta at the mall. Have fun.

baggo
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by baggo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Was not aware of Two American Express locations in PV.. Where is the one located in town, been to the Soriana location and the one in town would be better for us.. Thanks

sdonn1020
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by sdonn1020 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 am

I always used the atm at the banks less problem with fruad. I don't take alot of cash with me fron US. Just enough for 1st day activities. Most busunessn in the city will take CC. I use that and ATM to pay for my actvties in PV