taxi

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

edlin68
PV Fan
PV Fan
taxi

Post by edlin68 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:47 am

i am curious about taking cabs from the airport. Someone mentioned to me if we walk across an overpass to catch a cab to our condo in old town our cab fare would be basically cut in half. is this true? if so, Do cabs generally hang out there?

tigerfan
PV Fan
PV Fan

taxi

Post by tigerfan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:20 am

The answer to both these questions is yes.

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 am

make sure you confirm the price before you get in the cab.

edlin68
PV Fan
PV Fan

thank you

Post by edlin68 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Can anyone tell me the price for 3 for taxi to old town? Would it be worth it for 3 girls to walk across the overpass or should we just grab a cab at airport. This is my 13th trip and i do feel comfortable walking. Just checking to see if its worth it.. THANK YOU

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:25 pm

It just depends on whether it is worth it to you to haul all your luggage over the overpass and then play the "how much to old town game"? It is approximately (as of 12/08) $237 pesos to zone 3 with the airport taxis. The city taxis will charge you between $120 and 150 pesos. The give a exchange rate of 10 to 1 so you are talking roughly $24 vs $15. If there are 3 of you splitting the taxi cost it hardly seems worth it to save $3 each.

pat
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by pat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:01 pm

I agree with Kat. It hardly seems worth it. Sometimes the yellow cabs will try to get you to pay as much as the airport taxi's as they are assuming you don't know how much the ride is supposed to cost.

Chrisnyc1213
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Chrisnyc1213 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:34 pm

This is a great trick. I've done this the last couple of years. It saved us about 80 pesos, which ain't too shabby. (of course, you have to be in a good enough mood to hike your luggage up and over that overpass.)

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Local bus, perhaps

Post by oneistwo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Every year we travel a little lighter, so this time we just took the local bus, which stops at the foot of the overpass bridge. We stay at Los Tules, so we watched for one that said Zona Hoteles or ... (what is the new name for Gigante?). You need pesos (I think coins only) to take the bus, which you can get in the airport. We usually have enough left over from last year.

But I agree with those who say it's hardly worth the trouble to take the local taxis instead of the airport concessions. I think we saved about $5 the two times we walked over.

On the other hand, the walk across the bridge gave us a few minutes to decompress from the free-for-all at the luggage carousel and the melee of cab drivers at in the terminal.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Local bus, perhaps

Post by oneistwo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Every year we travel a little lighter, so this time we just took the local bus, which stops at the foot of the overpass bridge. We stay at Los Tules, so we watched for one that said Zona Hoteles or ... (what is the new name for Gigante?). You need pesos (I think coins only) to take the bus, which you can get in the airport. We usually have enough left over from last year.

But I agree with those who say it's hardly worth the trouble to take the local taxis instead of the airport concessions. I think we saved about $5 the two times we walked over.

On the other hand, the walk across the bridge gave us a few minutes to decompress from the free-for-all at the luggage carousel and the melee of cab drivers at in the terminal.

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Taxis

Post by pdxbuff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:34 pm

I might add that the airport taxis have air conditioning which they turn on while the yellow and white taxis across the street do not. Coming from a cold climate, when you exit the airport building, the heat really hits you. It does me anyway and I appreciate the A/C.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:08 pm

To combat the heat, we usually ask the cab driver to stop at the first store that we see, and we get some cold beer. We always offer a beer to the cab driver, and some of them drink the beer (not while they are driving, of course. They just chug the beer in the store parking lot and then climb back in to take us to our destination). I know, it sounds a little bit crazy, but it is our tradition, and so we have our first beer during the drive, and it is always good for a few laughs!

Of course, I would not behave this way in front of my kids!

Sally