Is It OK To Brings Our Dogs?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

consumero
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Is It OK To Brings Our Dogs?

Post by consumero » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:37 pm

My husband and I are planning an extended (4 - 6 months) stay in Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas next winter. We will be driving down from Canada with our 2 adult male Whippet dogs. Will we have problems with finding places to exercise them?...are dogs allowed on beachs?...are there dog parks?...any particular things we should be aware of regarding attitudes towards dogs? Thank you for any and all suggestions.

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:43 pm

I am jealous of your plans.........

I see lots of dogs in Puerto Vallarta. Many owners walk them along the Malecon or play fetch on the beach. People seem to accept dogs, esp clean, well behaved ones. Overall, the Mexican people seem more relaxed about dogs. The rules are looser. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Sally

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:39 pm

we've brought our dogs down 4 times. 3 times by air, once by driving. never had a problem on the beach. the dogs also really like the rio cuale. with a vehicle heading up into the jungle is also a lot of fun for the doggies. without pedestrian right of ways in pv, crossing the street in old town can be a little dicey sometimes with dogs in tow. you have to pay attention...

shawnie
PV Fan
PV Fan

can we take our dog to puerto vallarta

Post by shawnie » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:07 pm

Is there something that you have to do special? I mean I have all the shots that we have to have here and is there something else that we have to get special?
I wondered this same thing and would be so grateful if you could let me know what you did.
thanks

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:22 pm

you need a health certificate from the vet no older than 5 days before you cross the border and proof of rabies vaccinations. though driving they just waved us thru the border, at the pv airport they pay a little more attention, though not really, they give a quick glance to the docs then wave you thru. coming back thru us customs is easy as long as you don't bring pet food with you, they'll confiscate and vaporize it.

consumero
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by consumero » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you Benito and Sally for your very helpful replies to my post. I have a mind picture of my happy boys running along the beach - what a treat that will be for all of us!

benito
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by benito » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 am

it's a way better trip when the doggies get to come...