where to stay?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sproutie30
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
where to stay?

Post by sproutie30 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi everyone
I have been to PV 10 years ago and stayed at the Continental Plaza. The past 2 years DH and I have been going to the Mayan Riviera and I decided it was time to expose him to something new lol. Anyway, we are going with another couple and my single brother and was just wondering where the best places would be to stay? We want:
1. AI
2. 4 star or better,
3. nice beach (for PV)
4.a 1 bedroom hotel room since my brother will be staying with us (or a
hotel that charges a reasonable single supplement.

My brother has only been to Cabo, and the other couple has never been out of Canada. We are in our mid 30's and we would like to be able to explore without having to take a cab everywhere. We like:
1. snorkelling
2. exploring
3. window shopping
4. doing tours,
5. and people watching.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri May 14, 2010 12:06 am

I have two questions for you before we can answer yours: (1) What is your budget/per night? (2) Why AI? What are your preceptions of PV that you feel you need AI? Please explain fully. Thanks. Chuck... 8)

sproutie30
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sproutie30 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 am

thanks for the reply. I am not an AI person. I love to explore the many different restaurants offered, but the people I am going with think that it is more economical (in terms of food, drinks etc.) to do the AI plus I think that they also find it easier to budget knowing that their meals etc. are included. It is also cheaper to book package deals from Canada as opposed to booking airfare and hotel separate, and most of the packages are AI. Not sure what the breakdown would be, but they were looking at around $1500 per week pp (including airfare). Hope that is enough info.

Lori

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri May 14, 2010 3:31 pm

You might want to research the names of places that are within that price range, and then list them here. Then people can give you specific advice about which one.

If you want to stay somewhere where you don't have to take a cab/bus everywhere, then staying in town is your best option. And if you are going to stay in town, I would strongly consider eating out rather than doing AI. You can eat all your meals very inexpensively in PV if you do some homework. I can email you my restaurant list if you want it. I have been going there since 1984--- many times.

I would also strongly consider renting a 2-3 bedroom house or condo rather than 2 hotel rooms. You can have better quality and more space, plus you can have some of your breakfasts, drinks, appetizers at the house. Just depends on what sort of vacation you want.

What month are you going?

Sally

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon May 17, 2010 3:33 am

I prefer not to do the AI myself. Sometimes though the deal is really cheap and even if we have stayed AI we eat our dinners out. Two years ago we stayed at the San Marino downtown for 1000 bucks a week (airfare and AI) Pretty much a 2.5 star at best but the room was clean, staff was nice and we loved the location as it was right downtown. You can get some that have the breakfast plan and that's ok too if you are like us and usually only eat two meals a day. This year we had a condo for one week and stayed at Playa Los Arcos for the second (not choosing the AI) plan. We booked our flight separately and the trip didn't cost me any more then had we just stayed at an AI. Need more details to give you more options.