Cell phone Service???

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan
Cell phone Service???

Post by Oneroberta » Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

I was going to add int'l calling plan to my AT&T service... But how is service(connection) in around resorts ?? Staying at Dreams PV .
[/list]

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Fri May 21, 2010 5:34 pm

I have used my iphone without any problems in reception or service. Just be careful and restrict the use to just calls. I have found that texting and checking mail can use up all of the mb/kb of the international plan rather quickly. You will get a message when you turn on your phone in PV that will tell you how to reset your usage so that you can keep track of it. Hope this helps.

ljonson
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

att

Post by ljonson » Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I have the international ATT plan and it works great in PV. I have used it for several years, numerous visits, for texts, calls, media, etc. all over PV and have always had good luck. Just be sure you know what the plan prices are before you use unlimitedly. There are different plans in the international category which include different amounts for different services, so ask lots of questions. This international plan, however, has been very beneficial for us---we even have a son in Haiti now and he is able to text, call, and post pix on Facebook from his iPhone.
Good luck. Hope you have a great trip.
Only a short wait until July when we are there again!!! Yeah!

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Fri May 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I used my cell phone this winter and no problems but not MTS has decided to charge .35/text so actually next year I may just purchase a cheap phone at the airport!

Oneroberta
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Oneroberta » Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank very helpful info ... Have iPhone and only want to be able to call home to kiddos.... Just have to keep hubby off facebook...LOL

WeddinginPV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by WeddinginPV » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I will be going there, and I was wondering this same thing. It is good to hear that service is good. We will be having to call home from our honeymoon to check on the kids as well. For those of you, have you found any good apps to use while in PV?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 pm

I have used AT&T for about the last 8 years. My only caution is if you need to retrieve voice mail messages in Mexico and you live in the US you need to have a code. At home here in Cali I just dial my voice mail # and it says "You have XX# of new messages". When you are in Mexico it says it does not recognize your device and you need to enter a code. When you don't have the code you end up wondering what that person calling you needed/wanted and you end up calling them back to find out. :) So if you do not have a security code you enter to get your messages you need to call AT&T and they will give you a temp one and when you enter it you can set up your own preferred code.

I find text messages a less expensive way to communicate. Local calls to a PV cell are pricey so I have a local cell I use while I am down there. My phone bill was $125 and that was not for my entire last trip, the rest comes next month. My granddaughter wanted to call her Mom and Dad every day :). I don't want to know what the bill would have been had I let her call everyday and used my US cell for all my local calls. I still ended up with a bigger bill than I ever have if I go by myself. LOL

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 pm

You can also turn off your roaming on the iPhone. That will save $$ also. I have a really, really old plan that let's me make calls back to the US for practically nothing, something like .05 a minute and no roaming charges. I have hung on to it for years as they now don't offer anything comparable. I also have wifi in our condo so I don't use the network for roaming. I think google earth is pretty cool, I've used it a couple of times down there, and I have used the maps one that comes with the phone for directions. There was also a neat one for figuring out tips in any currency, Tip Calculator. Have a great time on your Luna de Miel.

johnie D
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

phone

Post by johnie D » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:27 am

If you have an iphone download Viber and you can call an iphone to iphone free any place in the world on wifi