jellyfish in Nuevo Vallarta?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

pvbound777
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
jellyfish in Nuevo Vallarta?

Post by pvbound777 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm

We were in Mazatlan about a year ago in July, and we were unable to swim because the jellyfish were there and people were getting painful stings. We didn't know this when we booked, (that the jellies come in during certain times of the year), I am curious to know how it is in Nuevo Vallarta? We will be there in about a week.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:08 pm

No problem on the beach but be careful in calm waters like the marina.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 am

No problem on the beach but be careful in calm waters like the marina
Keith, you made me laugh, no problem on the beach, I guess not they would be dead. :) People do get stung by them in the waves, not just in calm water. They seem to move around with the tides and will be in an area one day and out again that same day. I have seen them while snorkeling but when we find them we just move to another area where they aren't. At least they don't take up residence in one area for days at a time.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:37 pm

katnsocal wrote:At least they don't take up residence in one area for days at a time.
Generally true except in the marinas.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Generally true except in the marinas
But unless they fall overboard most people are not swimming in the marinas, LOL.

JuneC
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by JuneC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Are the jellyfish seasonal or do they appear at all times of the year? I know in Florida, they tend to be seasonal and most of the locals will tell you when to not book your vacations to avoid them. Also what type of jelly fish are in the area down there? Are there any really dangerous ones like the Man O'War?