Places to visit/things to do for single 50 yr old traveler

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

lexa50
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Places to visit/things to do for single 50 yr old traveler

Post by lexa50 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Have been to PV twice before about 10 years ago. Will be staying at the Golden Crown Paradise next week. Any suggestions as to places to go/restaurants/bars that are good for single woman 50 years old? Good music and ambiance? Thanks 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 am

lexa50,
I have been traveling to PV mostly solo for the past 20+ years and I have never found anyplace that was not more than welcoming to a single lady alone. Several of my favorite restaurants are going to be closing for the month of Sept. (this is typically the time of year they do painting, remodeling, or they take a vacation before the high season starts in Oct). Just walk around and check out the menus both on the southside and the malecon area, when you see something that sounds good go in and check it out. If you let us know the kind of food you like, price range, etc. it would be easier to recommend some places.

lexa50
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lexa50 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for your reply! I love seafood, especially lobster and crab, fish, shrimp....Also looking for great jewelry shopping, but not too high end. I remember the Malecon well and it was lovely. Would like to get out at night as well but last time was with kids so I don't know which places would work for me. Recovering from multiple ortho surgeries so this is a treat for me, but I'm on a tight budget because of that. Any help is much appreciated!

lexa50
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lexa50 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 pm

BTW I leave this Saturday so perhaps some places wont' be closing yet? Maybe they'll shoot for after Labor Day when most travelers aren't there? Hopeful thinking.

travone
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by travone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:19 pm

I've traveled by myself several times to PV and love it. I've felt welcome and safe just about everywhere I've gone, but my favorites are Mariscos Tino's (great seafood), Kaiser Maximillan, and Archie's Wok.

There are many great silver places in town. Just go into all of them and bargain, bargain, bargain. Enjoy your trip. I'm jealous, I don't go back until December.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 pm

El Barracuda on the beach next to the Buenaventura has a great following with reasonable prices. Kaiser Maximillian is good but it is not where I would go on a tight budget. Tino's is now on the very beginning of the Malecon upstairs. If you go to the marina area Ochos tostodos has great seafood and very reasonable prices. I don't know if they will be open or not but if you go to the southside about a block past Andale's on Olas Altas you will see La Pizzetta on the corner (opposite side of the street from Andale's) turn down that street and the very next restaurant right behind LP is Cafe Bohemio they have the most fantastic and reasonably priced food. Sol and Chris the owners are great guys and very welcoming to single ladies. El Brujo is also very good and reasonably priced. If you catch the tunel bus at GCP when you go through the 2nd tunel it is the first street out of the tunel on the opposite side of the street, right on the corner.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 am

Kaiser's is also having a Greek food special going on right now. Last year I tried the moussaka and it was to die for. The baklava wasn't too bad either. La Pizzetta was closed, looks like they are doing something to the floors.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:13 pm

La Pizzetta was closed, looks like they are doing something to the floors.
But was Cafe Bohemio open?

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:24 pm

I only passed by a couple of times and cannot remember even looking to see if it was open or not. Sorry.

lexa50
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

!!

Post by lexa50 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 am

I'm so glad I posted as your info has been very helpful! Made me laugh, too, because since I'm half Greek, any place that has great Moussaka and Baklava will be a great treat. I don't remember the area very well but I'm sure I'll be able to find my way around. Last time I was there was with kids and ex but now it's my time to relax and recover. 48 hours and I'm there--woo hoo! Thanks again. Lexa