Tell me about car rentals in PV

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master
Tell me about car rentals in PV

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 am

I see on Expedia that it's $81 for the week...what other charges would there be? Insurance? etc?

Thanks.

ronald
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ronald » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:12 am

gas

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 pm

LOL - any idea what the insurance costs are down there? I know here in MB, we can buy much chepaer rental insurance through our provincial insurance, but only for rentals in canada and the US.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:08 am

Hi Tandr,
The insurance mandatory in PV and is what really raises the price of the rental cars. I have used Magno Car Rental in the past when I used to rent cars. They have a couple of different locations in town. The info I have for reservations is 322-222-6545, 6546, 222-3395. I also hear people are really happy with Gecko in Bucerias, they pick you up at the airport and drop you off.

Have you check the car rentals on this site? If memory serves me right there is a car rental link on the home page of this site.

kethrinelopez
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by kethrinelopez » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 am

I rented a car the next day from National Car Rental without any hassle. They required the same two deposit slips, but allowed me to declare the purpose on each form AND provided me with a form that explained the purpose of the deposit slips and provided me with an assurance of refund if the vehicle were returned undamaged, etc.

nanrich
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

car rentals

Post by nanrich » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:06 pm

I was in P.V. from October 23rd to November 6th and rented a car from THRIFTY. I was given a price of $326.00 including airport tax, etc. on line. When I got there I was told I had to take the insurance which brought the price up to $546.00. Plus they put a $2000 hold on my card in case of any damage to the car. This action comprimised my credit card which denied the transaction. I was unable to use that credit card for the two weeks I was in P.V. I ended up using my wifes credit card for the car. When we got back, I received the bill from the credit card company. The price ended up not $546.00 but went up to $652.00. I have written to THRIFTY but as yet have not received a reply. They also made photo copies of my wifes license, (I drove), her passport and front and back of the credit card which made me a little apprehensive. Anyone know if this is normal procedure. :evil:

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 am

They must have thought your wife was going to be driving too. They do take photocopies of all your I.D. but I have never had them take I.D. from the person that was not listed as a driver on the car (I have rented from several different companies over the years). At any rate it is the norm for them to make photocopies of your I.D. info and I have never had any problems. If it makes you uncomfortable in the future when you return the car, ask for the copies so that you can destroy them yourself. My hotel takes a credit card when I check in but if I decide to pay cash for the bill on check-out they always give me the credit card slip back. It is normal for them to put a hold on your credit card and it can cause problems if it causes the card to reach your credit limit. I always take two credit cards and my ATM card with me just in case I need it, so I won't be stuck without the funds I need or want when I am down there.

cutbank
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by cutbank » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey Nanrich ,While Thrifty quotes in US $ they bill you in pesos at a rate of about 15% better than you will get on your credit card (or anywhere else).They post the rate on the wall behind the counter and at first glance it looks like you are getting a hell of a good exchange rate but Thrifty will only take a credit card as payment, No pesos so the rate works against you.

Always get a quote in pesos and do your own conversion and there will be no surprises.

I have rented from Thrifty, National, Euro-car and Avis. While Avis is not the cheapest,they provide the best liability insurance,reliable cars and the bill is exactly what they quote.
Friends have rented from Geko in Buccerias and been very happy with them

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks everyone...we've decided not to rent a car for this trip...next time we probably will. :)