First time visitor to PV.

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

ianlin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
First time visitor to PV.

Post by ianlin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Hello everyone. We are a family of four with 2 children visiting PV for the first time. We will be staying at Marival Residences. It is also our first time at an All Inclusive resort. I have several questions.

1. Arrival. I have heard there are very aggressive time share sales people at the airport. Some even pretend to be from your hotel to pick you up. Is it better to pre-arrange a ride ahead of time? How to avoid getting scammed at the airport? How far is Nuevo Vallarta from airport?

2. Money. Is it true Mexican Bank ATM's don't charge fees? (But my own bank may charge fees.) Should I have some Pesos available before I leave? I have read different opinions about using USD's.

3. Tipping. At an All-Inclusive resort, is it customary to tip service staff? For example, should I tip the waiter every time he brings me a drink? Should I have some loose change ready?

4. Safety. Is tap water safe to drink? Is the crime rate high?

5. Internet. Our hotel charges 180 pesos a day. Are there cheaper options available in Nuevo Vallarta?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Ianlin,

Many people have pre-arranged transportation through this website and been very satisfied with the service. If you pre-arrange they should give you instructions as to how to find the representative.

The key to getting past the timeshare people is: After you put your luggage through x-ray and get cleared through you have two options, if you have alot of luggage you can get a porter to take your luggage for you, just follow right behind him and don't stop to talk to anyone or just take your own luggage and walk through the sliding glass doors, this is where they will try to get you to stop, just keep walking and don't talk to them. I just smile and keep walking. If they try to stop you be firm and tell them no and keep walking. After you go out the 2nd set of glass doors you will be in the main lobby of the airport and no one will bother you out there (if you pre-arrange your representative will be waiting there for you).

Nuevo is about a 25 min ride from the aiport, depending on traffic.

ATM's don't charge fees but your bank will so you can check with you bank before you leave to find out what the fee is. You can use USD for the taxi BUT they do give you a slightly lower rate on exchange. I usually use USD at the airport and exchange when I get to my hotel. Different people do it different ways.

Tipping at an AI I believe people just keep using the same waiter when they get their drinks and tip them at the end of the day, instead of for every drink. Just be aware US coins have no value in Mexico so don't tip in US coins.

Crime rate is low just use the same common sense precautions you would at home. Water is purified at the resorts. Most restaurants if you order water will bring you a bottle of water.

Can't help you with the internet in Nuevo as I don't stay there but I am sure there are internet cafes around that probably charge less than your hotel does, just as there are in PV.

Have a great trip, make sure you go into PV one day (Sunday night is a good night to go to the malecon) lots of locals are out and you get a feel for the mexican culture.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:36 am

I'll second everything katnsocal said.

Just smile and keep walking past the timeshare people

We just tip a waiter 20 or 50 pesos in the morning and we get great service all day. We also tip at breakfast and dinner - usually 20 or 50 pesos as well

I think you'lll be able to find cheaper internet at a Cafe than through the Hotel

We found ATM's gave us a little better exchange than we could get at a Cambio or even at home.

Just don't do anything there you wouldn't do at home and you should be perfect safe.

I also agree with Kat - head down to the Malecon on Sunday

ianlin
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Thank you for your informative replies.

Post by ianlin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 am

I have a follow up question. The official PV airport website says the standard taxi will hold maximum 3 passengers. Since we are 2 adults and 2 kids, would we need two taxis?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:58 pm

You will either need a van or two taxis for four of you plus luggage. The standard taxis are usually Nissan Sentras and not that big for four people plus luggage.

A van should cost you $520 pesos equivalent to $43.50 US if you pay in pesos. If you pay in USD they will charge you $52.00. The airport taxis exchange at 10 pesos to the dollar and not the 12 pesos to the dollar which is about the going rate right now. There is a money exchange and an ATM at the airport if you want to change dollars to pesos or get pesos from your ATM account.

Have you checked the cost through this website? People that have used this website for private transportation have been very pleased with the service.

WeddinginPV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by WeddinginPV » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm

I did not know this could be an issue, so I am really glad that I read this thread! The last thing I want to deal with is solicitation! From booking our trip, they have included transportation to the hotel. Is this reliable and without solicitation? Also, we are going to be spending 2 weeks there after our wedding (almost 3 weeks total). I'm worried about sickness. Should I look at buying some sort of travel health insurance?
Last edited by WeddinginPV on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:25 am

Your hotel transportation will be very reliable. The key is and read this carefully; you will first pass through immigration where you will get your passport stamped and your mexican visitors card (which you will be given on the plane to fill out) will be collected and the bottom portion will be torn off and returned to you. DO NOT lose it. I keep mine with my passport in my hotel safe. There is a fine and a bit of a hassle getting out of the country if you lose it. After you clear immigration you will walk a ways to the baggage claim/customs area. There are luggage carts if you need them. You will collect your luggage and go to the line for customs, you will have to put your luggage on a belt that goes through x-ray and as it passes through you walk alongside it to a button which you will push (it looks kind of like a traffic light, if it is green you take your luggage and leave the customs area. If it is red they will direct you to a table where they will hand inspect your luggage, after which you will leave the customs area. THIS IS THE PART YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO: There are porters standing there in the customs area after you are cleared, if you need one just tell them and they will put your luggage on one of their carts (luggage carts inside customs are not allowed outside of that area). If you get a porter tell him you have transportation waiting for you from your hotel and just follow him through the glass doors (this is the timeshare area where you want to ignore anyone asking where you are going, etc.) Just smile and keep walking, don't stop and don't engage in conversation with them. When you exit the 2nd set of sliding glass doors you will be in the main airport lobby. There you should see someone with a sign with your hotel name/or your name on it. Those are the people from your hotel that are waiting with your transportation.

Mexican ATM's do charge fees as does your own bank at home unless you bank with one of the banks who are affiliated with one of the Mexican banks. Bank of America and I believe Citi Bank have affiliation with Mexican banks. BOA you need to use a Santandar or Scotia ATM and you will have no fees. CitiBank you need to use a Banamex ATM.

I don't stay at AI's but most people say they start the day with a nice tip for the server who is serving them drinks and it pretty much ensures good service for the rest of the day. It is customary to tip wait staff, including the maid and the bellman even in AI's.

All of the resorts have water purification systems in the resort. If you are worried drink bottled water when you are away from the resort.

Travel insurance is very inexpensive. I went to PV for 17 years and never bought travel ins. Then I heard what the cost was to life flight you home if something serious was to happen and I decided it was well worth the cost. Hospitals in Mexico require you pay the bill up front and then get reimbursed by your insurance. I always take a credit card with a high limit on it down with me, just in case. Check with your travel agent or airlines about the cost and coverage. The one I buy covers not only the medical but it covers for a family member to fly down to be with me, lost luggage, cancelled flights, etc. and it covers me anytime I travel for the entire year, not just one trip so when I travel for business I am covered as well.