Going solo to PV in March 2011. First Time Traveller.

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

604keg
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Going solo to PV in March 2011. First Time Traveller.

Post by 604keg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post here! I just booked my vacation yesterday and I'll be in PV from March 12-20. I've searched the forums but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for for. Here's a few questions, hopefully you can answer one or two! :)

Is anyone here going to be at The Friendly Hola Vallarta from March 12-20? :D

Where are some of the best places / bars / clubs / attractions etc. in PV for a single Canadian 26 year old guy?

How much do they cost, and where are the best places to get some nice quality Tequila and Cigars to bring back to Canada? How much can I bring back? If I go over the limit, how much is the Duty to bring them back to BC Canada?

Whats the current average cost in PV for renting a Jet-Ski, going Para sailing, ATVing, Scooters?

Where is the best place for cheap shopping in PV? Souvenirs etc.

Marttin43
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by Marttin43 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Ok, I think I can answer a couple even when I'm fairly new here too.

I'm not a club guy...but have been to a few across the street from the malecon. That's mostly a young crowd. Can't name specific names, but I guess the long lines of hot chics waiting to get in will clue you in.

To buy booze, you could try a place named "El Coyul". I think that's the name. I don't know the name of the street, but that's like a wholesale store of products bad for you, e.g. smokes, booze, etc. The duty-free booze should be on your canadian costum's form. I think it's like 2 litters duty free.

Parasailing cost me 500 pesos for a 15 min ride. I thought it was ok. Jet skis, I only asked at one place and it was like 40/hr. The rest of the tours and stuff you can click on some links on this site, I'm sure.

Souvenirs are everywhere. Pitillal offers a great variety of stores as well as down town.

Have a great trip.

grammalil
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by grammalil » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm enough of a "tourist" when I come to Puerto Vallarta, that I always go to the flea market and the island on the Cuale river to do shopping!!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Hola always seems to have a pretty good mix of ages and alot of people in their 20's and 30's. The usually have a pretty good vollyball game going on the beach every day. Most of the main clubs are on the malecon but there are some good places on the southside too. The malecon clubs all have DJ music. Roxy on the southside has a live band. Some of the beach restaurants have music after sunset. What kind of club scene are you looking for? Dancing, live music, salsa, etc. that would help lead you to specific clubs. There is a Soriana grocery store across the street and down two blocks from Hola, they often have sales on different booze so you could check it out. I always go to La Playita to buy booze. There is one about 10 blocks down from Hola on the same side of the street. There is also a Corona store across the street from Hola about a block or two past Soriana.

You will find the vendors have all kinds of souvineers right on the beach or as grammalil said go to the mercado or the Cuale River. You can get to all these places (except Soriana) by taking the bus that says "centro" it stops right out in front of Hola. It makes a left turn at the beginning of the Malecon area and if you stay on it it will take you to the end of the line which is on the south side. If you tell the driver you want off at the mercado he will let you off at the right stop or just get off and walk along the malecon and follow the street, not the malecon extension, when you walk up over the bridge you are at the Rio Cuale, the mercado is just at the rivers edge. The island we speak about is in the middle of the river with steps going down from the street.

Are you confused yet? LOL

604keg
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by 604keg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:34 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's really helpful (And yeah a little confusing lol).

I'm not really a club guy either, so I'm just looking for the type of bar/club that would be easy to meet people. Maybe a live band, and I'm just able to walk in order a drink, and chat some people up a bit. I guess I'm leaning more towards a bar than a club, I should have worded it better. Maybe a good place to meet women? Local or tourists, doesn't matter :)

Are there any "singles" attractions specifically set up to get solo people interacting etc?

Also at those places, how much approx is it for a bottle of "good" tequila and good cigars?

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Tequila

Post by oneistwo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:10 am

For tequila, go to a La Playa liquor store or a Soriana grocery store (there's several of each in PV) and browse, and try a couple brands. If you want "sipping" tequila, aim for the higher end reposados. The prices are, as you'd expect, pretty good. If you're just going to make margaritas, almost anything will do (don't bother with the JCGold crap).

There's a couple of legit Cuban cigar shops on one of the side streets perpendicular to the Malecon (I think Aldama), but you're talking $18 (US) and up, and I don't think they're three times better than the $6 Nicaraguans I bring with me from U.S. You may however enjoy the experience of smoking in one of their parlors. I had an excellent Bolivar in one of them a few years ago, while my friend went all the way and had a Cohiba. Worth the luxury if you want to treat yourself. Check out the Cigar Aficianado reviews if you're serious. The Cubans almost always get the highest ratings. But, sitting under a palm tree, almost any cigar is just fanastic.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 am

Right by the Centro Mercado is the Vallarta Cigar Factory, you can get hand rolled cigars there very reasonably. I think the use a variety of tobacco from Cuban to Mexican. It is one of the first stops we make when we arrive in town.

pdxbuff
PV Guru
PV Guru

Try Andales

Post by pdxbuff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:50 am

All persons are welcome. No band but lots of good music (Alice).

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 am

You haven't visited Vallarta until you visit Andales and hear Alice a few hundred times. :)

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Andale

Post by oneistwo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Ugh! You had to go and mention "Alice!" I'm already getting a hangover.
One year we brought my 25-ish son and a few other under-30s and last year we brought my 28 yr old daughter. They all had a good time. We did too. At least that's what they told me the morning after.

604keg
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by 604keg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

haha, I've heard about this Alice thing.. I guess I'll have to check that out at some point and see what the hell everyone's talking about lol.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Alternative mercado

Post by oneistwo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:45 pm

From you are, you can walk north along the beach to a mercado at the harbor where the cruise ships tie up. (I can't remember if there's a gate through the fence there or whether you have to zig through one of the hotels to the street) Things there used to be cheaper on non-ship days, but ships are there now almost every day. We go there anyway because it's just less claustrophobic than the ones downtown. There's also a remnant (at least there was as of last year) of a mini-mercado on the beach about 3/4 of the way up the beach from Hola. A couple shops were wiped out in a hurricane, but you can find most of the usual stuff there too.

At Hola, there's a parasail concession right on the beach.

You'll have fun at Hola. We stay near there and it always seems like one big party there.

Check your pm's

pvgemini
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvgemini » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:20 pm

I am now in my 40's but have been vacationing in PV since I was 18.

You will probably meet people at your hotel and can just tag along to nightclubs/bars. I second the advice to check out Andale's and Roxy's. The party gets started pretty late -- like after 11 pm. Before that time, you can walk along the malecon and check out all the big fancy discos. It is easy to see inside from across the street by the bay. Many of these places are too loud for any quality conversations, but they can be really fun just the same! You will figure out pretty quickly which sort of place you like.

You can also meet people during "happy hour" at many of the restaurants/bars along Playa de Los Muertos. Happy hours are in the vicinity of 4-7 pm (many are 4-6 pm) and you get "2x1" meaning 2 drinks for the price of one.

There are places to taste tequila all over town (for free), so you might want to take advantage of that before you decide which kind to buy.

I second the advice to go to the PV Cigar Factory. They make their own cigars right there, and you can watch. It's pretty interesting. We have bought some of the smaller cigars there, and they are a good value. Cuban cigars are priced similar to the prices in Canada (I have bought Cohibas in both places). Beware there are some fake knock-offs out there, and don't buy cigars that have not been properly stored. La Bodeguita del Medio on the Malecon is a Cuban restaurant that sells good cigars. I also love the live salsa music there. This place attracts all ages.

For parasailing, 500 pesos seems like alot to me. I don't think I have ever paid more than $30 US. You can negociate with the guys who run the operation at Playa de los Muertos. The banana boat is fun also, and runs about $8 US per person.

I agree with shopping at the market by the river, and don't be shy about negociating a price (they always start high), but I find that I can get the best prices from the beach vendors. Spend a day sitting under a palapa at Playa de los Muertos, and the vendors will come to you (whether you like it or not).

I have never been to PV solo, but if I did, I would just wander around everywhere, at all times of the day and night (well, not past 2 am), and talk to the locals. They are very warm and helpful. It is pretty common to get invited by a local to go and do something, i.e. we were telling a waiter that we wanted to learn salsa dancing, and he said, "we are going tomorrow night. do you want to come with us?" and another time we got a huge discount on a zipline tour from a Mexican connection. We have been invited to a Mexican wedding and bday parties. We have been boated to Las Animas Beach and fed a homemade Mexican meal. We have been driven to Sayulita and had lunch with a local. We have been invited to learn how to make ceviche in a local home, and it was good!! I never turn down an offer as long as it seems safe.

Be sure to bring some comfortable walking sandals/shoes.

Have a blast!! I'm jealous. You can have a great time without spending alot of money. On that note, you can buy a huge drink to enjoy while you are walking along the Malecon, but you can't bring it into the discos. There is a place called "Tarzan" about 1-2 blocks north of the Malecon, that sells huge drinks (like one liter Mai Tais, etc), for cheap -- like $7 US. Tarzan is like a "to go" bar. I know this sounds weird, but alot of the young people do it to avoid the high prices in the fancy discos. You can just order bottles of water when you are in there dancing.

Sally

604keg
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by 604keg » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks! I'll be there in less than 24 hrs, I can't sleep I'm so excited! I appreciate everyones advice, it seriously helps a lot. I feel pretty confident now and ready to tackle this. My bags are packed and I'm ready to go! :)