best currency for travelling in PV?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jordanjordan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
best currency for travelling in PV?

Post by jordanjordan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm

hi everyone!
i'll be in PV with my girlfriend in mid july, travelling from Canada, and we're wondering what our best currency would be to be in the city with? i'm on the side that thinks i should just buy mexican pesos here in canada at a bank before i leave for the best rate - and travel exclusively with pesos. other things i've read seem to suggest some american dollars would be good as well, though i feel i'll be doing the best with my money if i spend pesos (tipping, etc).

your thoughts would be appreciated!
j

wyoblu
PV Fan
PV Fan

Money

Post by wyoblu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

We use our ATM card. We have a vacation account, with an ATM card. We do this just in case our account should be compromised, there is not access to our main checking account. We can always transfer more money, if need be. We have never had a problem, and you get the best international rate, at the time of the ATM draw. We did have a credit card compromised several years ago; but the credit card company caught it immediately, and there was not a problem. Whatever you do, relax and enjoy one of the most beautiful vacation spots around.

johnny2bc
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by johnny2bc » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 pm

jordan .... it's good to see that you want to use pesos during your stay - it's 'the' way to go!!

If it's your wish to take/use currency (as opposed to using an ATM card, etc.), you will find it easy to convert Canadian currency to pesos (just remember, paper only, coins are not accepted, eh!!) at the various cambios (small exchange windows) and banks throughout the city.

I like to exchange at ScotiaBank (the one downtown, on Juarez, near City Hall, is the one I use). They have a separate window for 'exchanging' - just have your passport with you for ID. Quick and easy, and usually one of the best exchange rates in town. And much better than most of the cambios.

Enjoy your stay!!

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:06 pm

The cambio on Amapas south of Pilitas has the best rates in that area.

davilin
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by davilin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 pm

I don't know about your bank but here in California my bank, Wells Fargo, charges a hefty fee for buying foriegn currency so we exchange for pesos at the San Francisco airport exchange machine.

longhair
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by longhair » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:57 am

well ive been going to PV for over 20 yrs and what i do is exchange money at the THE SCOTIA BANK BEHIND THE CITY HALL IN DOWNTOWN PV just past the church, never had a problem exchanging money there

be there before 1 pm they close the foreign exchange at that time , or use the ATM
also make sure you change your pin code to 4 digits before you leave , seems as the ATM's only accept 4 digits

Moore Martinez
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Moore Martinez » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 am

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your information. Really I am very appreciated here and this is the very useful information. Puerto Vallarta is more down south, so it's safer. Their lifestyle is great! They have amazing restaurants and attractions & the weather is beautiful! I went there last July & I had a great time! Nothing went wrong and I felt perfectly safe the whole trip.

Thanks a lot agian