Electrical outlets/adapters

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Moving to PV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Electrical outlets/adapters

Post by Moving to PV » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I am going ro be moving to PV by the end of October. What kind of adapters are needed for outlets? Is it better to buy ahead of time or just get them there? Do we need them for all outlets? :?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 am

It depends on where you are living. Many of the older properties do not have grounded plugs so if you have 3 prong electrical appliances you will need an adpter that adapts down to 2 prongs. It appears you have never been to PV before, the voltage is the same as it is in LA. Do you already have a place to live arranged, if so ask the person you are renting from, they will be able to answer your question specific to that property.

WeddinginPV
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by WeddinginPV » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 pm

I have traveled several times to PV, and I find the 2 hold outlets much more commonly than grounded ones. However, I believe it might be possible to replace the outlets. It just takes some simple tools and knowing how to turn the power off! It might be cheaper and safer than buying several adapters. However, you might was to consult an electrician before tackling these projects.
Last edited by WeddinginPV on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 pm

Bad advice, wedding. ALWAYS get a qualified electrician when you do any changes. Replacing a two hole outlet with a three hole does not automatically create a ground on the center hole. All you have is a non-grounded three hole outlet that LOOKS grounded but isn't. Kat's advice about the adapter is spot on. Chuck... 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 am

LOL, you are so right Chuck. My youngest son is a licensed electrican/contractor. When he looked at some of the wiring in PV he said when I build my house down there he is coming down to personally wire it himself.

The trouble with knowing how to shut the electricity off in Mexico is you never know where it may be coming from. It is common practice to run a wire from a pole directly and get "free" electricity. When my son won't touch it (and he changes out stuff all the time here without shutting off the power) I sure am not going to mess with it.

Without a third ground wire a plug will not be grounded by just changing out the outlet.

It was several years ago I ended up running all over town finding an adapter, they are small and easy to pack so I would take them with me.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Every outlet box should be grounded but you need to make sure that the ground is preserved coming into the building.