Mail and ordering from US online

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

avanti4
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Mail and ordering from US online

Post by avanti4 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:31 am

I've read that the mail in Mexico is not secure. Someone online said he would never entrust anything important or valuable (i.e., a check) to the postal system. What do you do if you want to order something from a US vendor, like Amazon or someone else? Do you have it shipped by private carrier? Fedex? DHL? This can be expensive. Or do you have a private US PO box and have them collect mail and send it periodically?

Thanks.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Many ex-pats living in PV use Mailboxes Etc. to get their mail forwarded to them from the US. Several I know have a mailbox at a location in Texas, so the mail they receive in the US goes to their Texas mailbox and then gets forwarded to their mailbox in PV. It "isn't" inexpensive but it is one of the costs you just have to expect living in Mexico if you want to get mail from the US.

The other thing people do for an occasional item is look for someone coming down to bring it to them and then have it sent to that person's house. If you join all of the PV forums people will get to know you and then you can just post a request for someone willing to bring it down to you. Usually there is an offer of alcohol for their efforts. :lol:

avanti4
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by avanti4 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks--very helpful. Coincidentally, I came across something on another site that addresses this: expat mail services that will scan envelopes (or even open and scan the contents on request) and allow users to select what they want forwarded or discarded.
(http://www.expatexchange.com/rgall.cfm?categoryID=22) you say, it's not cheap, so it looks like it would be preferable to have packages shipped directly by private carrier if possible, rather than to the mailbox. It would be faster and would avoid the handling charge.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:24 pm

I think using a mule is the best approach. Most online vendors will not ship to Mexico.

MBE started charging me for magazines that were included in my mail last spring (90 pesos).

ladygogo1
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by ladygogo1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:27 am

And you will have to pay a duty on any consumer goods which can be very costly.