Chronic Health issues in mexico

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

santapaws
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Chronic Health issues in mexico

Post by santapaws » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:02 pm

If it is any help to you , I tried to live in Pvr and thought I had covered all my bases with my medical condition and had a few problems. In regards to my simple medical supplies, Ostomy pouches ,the package was returned to usa as fed ex is searched and someone deemed that they were not allowed. My medication was not available in the product that was even close to what I was on. Some newer medications say in the last 5 years, just are not available. I am now on medication that requires the frig so have no idea what I would have done if I still lived there.
Not to discourage you from the move. Wish I could have made it work for me as I loved the people,culture and lifestyle. Basic medical is great but with life threating conditions you need to think it thru. Emergency care is great, have toured the amerimed and was impressed. Serious stuff goes to guad which is 4 hours away and my condition doesn't always allow a lot of time.
Your best bet is long visits, my Aetna healthcare was accepted as a visitor on vacation but is not good for residents of an FM3. Good luck and health, hope you can make it work in PARADISE!

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Santapaws,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. You make a very valid point about checking very thoroughly before you move to any foreign country. If you check one of the biggest issues people have is that our ins. in the US does not cover you if you are residing in another country. Medicare is now being accepted in some of the border towns but I think it is going to take a while before it is accepted widely in Mexico. I also know of someone who negotiated with their ins. company to have their dental work covered in Mexico because it would cost the ins. co. much less than if they had it done in the states, but those things are few and far between.

Obtaining certain medications available in other countries can always be a problem. There are meds in Canada we can't get in the US and meds we have that Canadians can't get. Each country has it's own governing agencies regarding drugs which are available.

I also didn't quite understand your comment about being on a medication that had to be kept in a refrigerator. PV does have refrigerators :) and I know of several diabetics who keep their insulin refrigerated down there.

The new AmeriMed hospital is very impressive and San Javiar and Cornerstone offer good care also. They are small local hospitals and major trauma or illnesses do need a larger medical facility such as in Guadalajara.

Your comments are a worthy warning to check all the facts before you go the expense and work of moving to another country.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Just a couple of comments: First, Medicare, a U.S. Federal health insurance paid for by taxpayers, is only good within the U.S. EXCEPT: If you have medicare, are close to the border with either Canada or Mexico and have a life threatening emergency such as a car accident AND the closest medical facility able to treat your condition is in either Mexico or Canada, Medicare coverage is in effect. Second, Kaiser Permanente will pay any emergency medical treatment in any country and has been known to even provide med-evac to the U.S when the medical facility in that country is not equiped to handle the emergency. Chuck... 8)

santapaws
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Shipping of Meds

Post by santapaws » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Just to let you know that by refrigeration of my med, the problem is in the cold shipping of the product to me. My other thought would be, will it be allowed to be imported? and what kind of paper work would be involved? you know how mexico likes their paperwork and red tape.If anyone imports medications from the USA tell me how to do it. Will be back in vallarta after thanksgiving and can't wait to explain injectable pens to the TSA and mexico customs as this is the first time I have traveled with them. Thanks for your imput.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:44 am

Santapaws,
Many people travel with injectable pens for their medication. TSA and Customs are used to seeing them. My bet is they won't even question you about them. Were you in contact with Pam Thompson while you were living there? She has ins. coverage info for people living there. She also should have been able to steer you to a medical supply down there.

Chuck,
Kaiser won't cover you if you are living out of the country like Santapaws was. None of the US insurance companies will cover you if your are living out of their area (at least none that the average person could afford) visiting yes, living no. That is the major stumbling block for most people moving to PV.

santapaws
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Avail of medications

Post by santapaws » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it. I do know of Pam and all her great work. Will see if my medication is even available with freddy the drugist when I come after thanksgiving. Will post what I find out when I return.Any body need anything that I can mule for ya!, still have a little room in the carry on. Santapaws

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Absolutely correct, Kat. For Kaiser coverage, you must be a resident in a Kaiser coverage area and just traveling someplace else. However, under those circumstances, Kaiser emergency coverage is great. Chuck... 8)

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 am

Chuck,
I used Kaiser once in Hawaii with no problems. Kaiser has hospitals in Hawaii, but I was considered out of area and they just sent the claim to my home area.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 am

Santa,
You use Freddy?

Where do you live, it is hard for anyone to use you as a mule if they don't know where you live?

JaCKIeFRank
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by JaCKIeFRank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:15 am

If anyone imports medications from the USA tell me how to do it. Will be back in vallarta after thanksgiving and can't wait to explain injectable pens to the TSA and mexico customs as this is the first time I have traveled with them. Thanks for your imput.