Where to stay in PV- Romantic, Hotel or South Zone

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

sunseekers
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Where to stay in PV- Romantic, Hotel or South Zone

Post by sunseekers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:46 am

Any insight on where to stay would be great. I've got a 17 yr old and 15 yr old that I plan on taking in late July and want to keep them out of my hair. What area would be the best location?

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 am

Define "I want to keep them out of my hair". :) LOL

The south side and the Romantic zone are one in the same, unless your are referring to Mismoyola area which is to the south out of town.

sunseekers
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by sunseekers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 am

As far as keeping them out of my hair, well it's not often I can pull away so I want to relax. I'd like them to be able to go do there own thing as there pretty independent, snorkel, go into town. Obviously we'll be spending time together, I got to go zip lining what a blast and they'll love it!!!! I just need time to myself and wife in this beautiful place. I've looked at 3 places over the last week and as far as zones I can only tell you what states on the website.
South Zone- Garza Blanca Preserve Beach Resort & Spa
Hotel Zone- Peninsula Vallarta, by Peninsula Plaza
Romantic Zone- Molino de Agua condos

Not sure if this helps but hopefully does. Thanks for anything you can add.
katnsocal wrote:Define "I want to keep them out of my hair". :) LOL

The south side and the Romantic zone are one in the same, unless your are referring to Mismoyola area which is to the south out of town.

mikeypv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by mikeypv » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

I would rule out Garza Blanca as it is south of PV proper and is a stand alone property. It is gorgeous, but I don't think too young adult friendly in terms of activities. I am not familiar with the Peninsula properties and Molina de Agua is in the south side/romantic zone on the beach within walking distance of pretty much everything.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 am

Peninsula is in the hotel zone, north of the Holiday Inn. If you want to let them go on their own and do their own thing I think they would be happiest at Molina De Agua as it is closest to all the southside activity. The only downside is it is about 3 blocks inland from the beach, so they are going to have to pay to sit at a beach side restaurant all day to have access to drinks, beach chairs and shade. Peninsula has an infinity pool right on the beach but not much in the way of activites on the beach in that area.

oneistwo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Hotel Zone

Post by oneistwo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 pm

This is not in any way to disagree with anything Kat says. (I'd be crazy; she's far more knowledgable). If they --and you -- like a downtown vibe, that's the way to go. For something more laid-back for you and if they're outdoor types, the longest stretch of beach is in the hotel zone. they could book a snorkel trip at the harbor and walk there from the Peninsula, if the rules allow them to go unaccompanied. If they want to shop for souvenirs, there's a mercado at the harbor. There's a couple of gringo-friendly food joints nearby if you want them to get lost for a while. Some of the beach hotels have more or less continuous volleyball .... I'd vote for the hotel zone. Again, as a matter of a preference, not disagreement.

Disclaimer: can't vouch for the Peninsula accommodations and service, just the location.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:26 am

I based my recommendation on the statement that they wanted to let them go on their own to shop, snorkel, etc. The peninsula are pretty upscale condos and not someplace that you are going to find much teen activity. If you want to let them go all over by themselves, then they have more to see and do on the south side. The down side with that is, as I said, no beach chairs, bathrooms, shade or activities without paying to sit and consume food/drinks in return for the use of the chairs.

What oneistwo said about the hotel zone having the best beaches is true, the beach on the south side by Los Muertos (where all the beach restaurants are) is small and crowded, certainly not the best beach to swim.

I guess you can say there are good and bad about all three places the OP named, deciding what is most important on their list will ultimately help them make a choice.

kcowan
PV Master
PV Master

Post by kcowan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Tough crowd here and no consensus. I have stayed at the Hotel Zone many times at Los Tules (11 years). I would say that you need to take a bus anywhere unless cruising Plaza Caracol is "fun". It is very relaxing but deadly dull for teen kids.

If you want the kids to get out and back easily many times per day, Molino is very nice. It is right on the water but not great for swimming. Like Kat says, about 3 blocks south to the first beach action. But they walk longer to catch the bus to anywhere.

I would go somewhere in the Hotel Zone. Peninsula is not the best location. I would be a bit south or north from there. Krystal, GCP to the north. Many places to the south.

(I like Peninsula Plaza but most kids would not.)

iyamscifi2
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by iyamscifi2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:19 am

los muertos is where i would stay if i were you---in the heart of it all.

condos---vista del sol, plaza mar, and our fav plaza dorada.

or hotels playa los arcos or its sister properties