Hurricanes in October??

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Jasmine
Hurricanes in October??

Post by Jasmine » Tue May 15, 2001 10:05 pm

Hello. I will be travelling to PV for my first time in mid-October. I heard that is Hurricane season there. Does anybody know if this is true? What is the weather usually like in October there?

chandy

Re:Hurricanes in October??

Post by chandy » Wed May 16, 2001 3:51 am

I may be wrong but I believe PV is in what is called "hurricane hole". In other wordsk, PV doesn't experience the effects of hurricanes. You can also look at weather maps on this site or another PV site to check out October weather. I may be wrong about the hurricanes.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed May 16, 2001 6:26 pm

Nope, not wrong Chandy.

Been to PV in October before, and while you will get some really great rainstorms in the evenings after a hot humid day, the fact that PV is in a huge natural bay (2nd largest in N. America), you are protected from pretty much any hurricanes that may blow off the coast. Hurricanes are far more common on the East Coast of Mexico than the West.

The weather in October is warm and humid, sunshine during most days and rains in the evening for an hour or two most often.....a welcome relief after a sticky day! Everything is lush and green after the summer rainy season. Very beautiful time to go.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Thu May 17, 2001 8:52 pm

Have been in PV 17 years in Mid to late Oct. have never had a Hurricane hit. Matter of fact very little rain in all those years. Jennybean, there was no rain when you were there last year, remember?

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Fri May 18, 2001 7:15 pm

Actually there was rain. A couple of nights, very late, the thunder and beating of the raindrops woke me at about 4 a.m., and my last day while I sat on the beach reading my book, I watched a "wall" of water swallow up Mismaloya, then Los Arcos, then most of the bay itself before hitting with a good hard rainstorm. I sat it out at La Piazzetta with my book and a nice margarita before "swimming" back to my condo.

It was still a nice time of year to go though.

swingonastar

Post by swingonastar » Wed Jun 06, 2001 6:51 pm

What about late September? I'm considering a visit at that time and wonder about the rain. I love a good rainstorm, but not so much that it spoils the beach conditions.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:09 pm

September is the tail-end of the rainy season. Beach conditions should be good, but because of the run off from the mountains, areas of water in the bay will sometimes take on a murky brown color. No worries, it's just mud, and it usually clears up in a day or so.

The rains are a welcome relief after a sunny humid day, and it's very warm rain...kind of like a bath. Fabulous thunderstorms too!

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hurricane season...

Post by webmaster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am

Read more on why Puerto Vallarta doesn't really have a hurricane season.

http://www.puertovallarta.net/weather/h ... llarta.php