Agony Aunt Bill where are you

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Capt Jack
Agony Aunt Bill where are you

Post by Capt Jack » Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:47 pm

I spoke with a friend on Olas Altos last night approx. 10PM PV time. He had power and had been out and about. He had driven to Mismaloya and found 100 was open and none of the feared mud slides. He mentioned all the beach palapa restaurants were washed away and the water was at the sea wall. Los Muertos beach took a hit. La Palapa and El Dorado had lost some of their decking, the Sand Bar was hit badly, Mike had just remodeled the restaurant with new banyos and kitchen. C y C appeared to be in fairly good condition. He noted the beach level had dropped considerably with a loss of sand. No work on Fidencios and Sharkys. The ship bar in front of the condos near the Tropicana was pretty well destroyed as well as the beach front by the "blue chairs". The dolphin statue is gone. Most of the damage on the malecon has already been reported on this and other sites, but cleanup has begun in earnest. My friend is driving north to Bucerias and La Cruz today.

If you've made vacation plans, I'd suggest checking with your hotel. Especially if you're staying in Bucerias and further out to Punta de Mita. I would suspect Sayulita, San Francisco, Guayabitos and north to San Blas are devestated as they have no natural protection. Hotels from the marina south should be fine except for cosmetic damage, (beach palapas gone, pebbles on the beach etc.) The swimming pools will be drained and cleaned quickly and the shops along the malecon cleaned up and open for business quickly. Busy season is starting and they cannot afford to be closed for long as PV depends on us for their livelihood. It's been mentioned that some donated items would be appreciated. Check this and other boards for suggestions. Childrens clothing and school supplies are always appreciated and can easily be packed in your luggage. Best of all is to take your dollars and patronize the local businesses. The major hotels will survive just fine, it's the small businessman just coming off a long slow summer season with no cash reserves and no insurance that will be badly hurt.

krisblack
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:Agony Aunt Bill where are you

Post by krisblack » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:18 pm

Thanks Cpt Jack!! Glad to hear that everyone is getting out and about, a relief that everyone is well. It is all so sad.....but you are right, things will recover - and quickly I am sure! I do hope there will be some effort to try and replace the statues in the years to come.

Thanks for the updates, you guys that are down there are our only link to what is really happening. Can't find squat on the news. The news wouldn't have the local flavor anyway, such as the beach and the news on such hangouts as C y C.

We won't be there until Nov 23, so there is plenty of time for recover before we get there, but there are so many planning on going between now and then. I wouldn't even dream of changing plans.

krisblack
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by krisblack » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:21 pm

Oh, yeah...we will be at the Sheraton.... I would think that they fared pretty well.... crossing my fingers??

american chick

Post by american chick » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:01 pm

I just saw some more footage on PV Malecon and some of the businesses there. What they are showing doesn't look very good to us here in the States. I am wondering what damage some of the clubs had. We have been to PV a lot over the past few years and have grown quite fond of the guys that work in some of the clubs. We have delevoped friendships with them and are very concerned with their well being as well as everybody else in PV. We usually stay at the Krystal and haven't really heard anything about it...so we were wondering how the hotel is also. If anybody has any information that they can pass along about some of the clubs along the Malecon and the Krystal Hotel I would really appreciate it. Like everyone I am wondering what I can do to help out, I am not going to be back to PV until April but I am wondering what I can ship before we come...

vleer

Post by vleer » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:18 pm

hi,

I come to PV 20 nov and I will stay one week in las palmas beach resort.
Does anybody know if there is a lot of damage. and is the hotel still open??
I will stay for 6 months so de first week I am going to look for a appartment do you
think it would be a problem know because of the damage from the hurricane?

I hope that the people in PV are in good health!!

Greetings vleer

bburpi

Post by bburpi » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:11 pm

Dolphin statue is still there but we lost the Seahorse, the lower statue of the 'Pillowheads' and one of Calunga's. Stores with low windows on the Malecón were flooded as were most of the hotel strip hotels, but only the lobbies and people are cleaning up double time.
Lovely sunny day today. Hotel Pelicanos got the most damage I've seen. They will be inspecting all hotels later today.

Mike Poole

Post by Mike Poole » Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:16 pm

I just talked to a friend in P.V. and she told me that the waves came in the 3rd floor at the Sheraton and they have no idea when they can open. Don't know this for sure but this is what I was told 30 minutes ago.

bburpi

Post by bburpi » Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:17 am

Not too bad really, here are pictures taken today of the Malecón.
http://vallartainfo.com/kennapics.html
The clubs that had high windows on the Malecón did OK, stores with street level windows and doors did not.
The clean up is proceeding at a tremendous rate, by next week you'll have to go search out the damage.

krisblack
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by krisblack » Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:21 am

Gee, hated to hear that about the Sheraton.... I guess I'll have to try to keep posted on things as the weeks go on, we won't be there until Nov 23 so we have some time. I'm not cancelling, but if we need to rebook our condo, I will need to work on that soon.... I just keep thinking of the little houses that were along the beach between the Sheraton and town, all those families.....

I wish we could do something, we feel so helpless here, so I hope you understand why we are acting so dependant on your reports!

Take care, and good luck....our thoughts are with you!

tzpx
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by tzpx » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:27 am

Thanks for pics of Malecon. Words cannot quite convey the same meaning.

PVParty

Post by PVParty » Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:35 am

Is this captain Jack from C & C's? This is Michael w/pony tail. Write me tradeprnt@aol.com