Club Velas Vallarta

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Mari
Club Velas Vallarta

Post by Mari » Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:28 am

Any one have first hand info on this resort?

CarolynCL

Re:Club Velas Vallarta

Post by CarolynCL » Sun Feb 25, 2001 4:19 am

Mari (Feb 22, 2001 09:28 p.m.):
Any one have first hand info on this resort?
Yes, what would you like to know? I've been to the resort about 4 times (the last time 2 years ago), and I've got a trip booked in April. My father and I are owners there (we have a week every second year, and we love going).

Carolyn

Mari

Post by Mari » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:41 pm

Carolin,
I heard the beach is better at Krystal Vallarta. The krystal is closer to town. What do you think?
Mari

CarolynCL

Post by CarolynCL » Mon Feb 26, 2001 3:57 am

Hi Mari,

I don't know about the beach being better closer to town... I think they are pretty similar. From my experience, I've found the beaches in the Marina area (where Velas is) to be less crowded than those closer to town. I haven't stayed at the Krystal, so I don't have any first hand info about that hotel. I did go to an evening event there (a fiesta), and I remember the place as being huge and very spread out - it looked like a nice place to stay. The food was OK (but not memorable), although I much prefer the fiesta at La Iguana (more personal - it is family owned and operated I believe).

What I like about Velas is the convenience of the pools (2 big ones for adults, one for kids) which are really nice, and just a quick 2 second walk from the beach. When I was there last, the majority of the people stayed by the pools, so if you like the beach, you should have lots of room to yourself. Also, you can go on long walks on the beach beyond the hotel. There was a new complex going up next door when I was there last, which must be complete by now, but beyond that you can walk quite far without running into other hotels. Past the new complex is the edge of the golf course and past that the end of the airport. We would often walk that way and watch the planes taking off. Closer in to town (where the Krystal is) it is much more built up, so you can't really get that sense of getting away from other people like you can in the Marina area (by "Marina" I mean the small boat marina - there is also a cruise ship marina, which is actually quite close to the Krystal).

The accomodations at Velas are excellent. We have two suites - a one bedroom with a full kitchen, dining room and living room (with full balcony), and a junior suite with a small kitchen and living area all in the same room. Both suites have full bathrooms and can be separated. We stock up at the local grocery store, and have our breakfasts and lunches from that supply. We then enjoy going out to eat at different restaurants each night.

Speaking of restuarants, the other nice thing about the Marina area is that there is a good ring of restaurants and shops around the Marina itself. I has the best seafood pizza I've ever eaten at a small outdoor restaurant there... ymmm... I hope they are still in business! In general, I prefer to Marina area to the Hotel zone. It has a kind of residential ambiance, as there are a lot of very nice appartments and expensive villas in the neighbourhood.

If you want to go into town, it is just a short bus ride (3 pesos now I think) or a taxi away (it is not like being way out in Neuvo Vallarta... now that's a drive and a half!). We usually take the bus into town and then grab a taxi home, as it is hard to get a bus to the Marina area after about 11pm. The buses are great fun, and way cheaper than a taxi.

Hope that helps... let me know if you need to know anything else.

Carolyn

Mari

Post by Mari » Mon Feb 26, 2001 4:47 am

Carolyn,
Thanks for all the great info! That was nice of you to take the time for me. I think I am sold on Club Velas,I will call for reservations this week. I don't plan on going till Oct. but I know how hard it is to get reservations when you wait....
I went on a jungel trip in Mazatlan, loved it! Giant lizards, boas in the trees...Have you heard of any good trips out of PV?
Mari

CarolynCL

Post by CarolynCL » Tue Feb 27, 2001 3:17 am

Hi Mari,

My favorite tours are:

1) The Marigalanta pirate ship day trip (they have a website: http://www.marigalante.com.mx/ ). This one was well worth doing again. I have found that trips to the Marietas Islands have the only decent snorkling. The also offer an evening cruise which is supposed to be very good.

2) The Rhythms of the Night: an evening boat trip to an isolated (romantic) beach restaurant; the food was very good, as was the entertainment.

3) Any day trip to Quimixto, including the optional walk up to a lovely waterfall that you can swim in. You can ride a burro/horse, but the walk is not bad and good exercise.

4) This year we are planning to try a bike tour. If we do manage to make it to one, I'll report back on how it goes.

5) The fiesta at La Iguana. This is a really neat family show... not polished and glitzy like the big hotel ones, but excellent entertainment, and good food. I think it is the best of the fiestas, but be prepared for the family atmosphere.

6) Not a trip, but off the beaten path... we always have at least one dinner at Los Arbolitos, a native restaurant with excellent food, good prices and generous servings. It is several blocks north of the main part of town, well out of the tourist part. We usually walk there (in the day light), and then take a taxi home after dinner. You can watch a lot of local life passing by from the balcony (we've seen people doing their wash in the river, a very interesting political parade, and a small set of amusement rides for children, all on different occasions).

Carolyn