money exchange

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

rudeboy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
money exchange

Post by rudeboy » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:48 pm

Will we be able to exchange $$ at the airport on saturday afternoon or are they closed on weekends like banks?

mrmike9

Re:money exchange

Post by mrmike9 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:53 pm

I've flown in to PV on Saturdays and on Sundays and the airport money exchange has always been open. Most of them in town are also open on weekends too.

bomba

Post by bomba » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:38 am

We were at Velas Vallarta in November 2002 and received the best rate at the hotel. Can also exchange in town or use your debit card.
You can also use your credit card but beware 3 years ago we were ripped off for $5000 canadian dollars as were the two couples travelling with us. Our credit card company reversed the charges but it makes you cautious.

tlippy
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Location:Central Oregon - where there's snow on the ground 6 months of the year

Post by tlippy » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:48 am

Two of my Brothers also got their credit cards cloned by waiters at the Restaurant Tangaroa's. I don't EVER intend to let my credit card out of my fingers. These thieves have the ability to clone the magnetig data and spend your money in other Mexican towns.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:54 pm

you don't have to exchange right away.... there are booths on the streets that offer better rates than the airport does, and don't exchange unless you really need too or want too... all you have to do is ask at the check out what their rate is.... 9.81 to 1 or whatever... i think currently the peso is trading at over 10 pesos to one US dollar.... yes it is nice to have a few pesos with you for taxis or the busses but not totally necessary... we have been going to PV for almost 8 years and we have never had a problem there... where we stay there is a CitiBank around the corner, and lately our resort has had a pretty good rate too... (not the norm though) HAVE FUN

Shmoo

Post by Shmoo » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:41 pm

We got back on the 14th of Jan and the best rates we found were 10.25 on the US dollar and 6.45 on the CDN dollar. This was at a cambio (money exchange) downtown.