hair braiding

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

jd
hair braiding

Post by jd » Mon Aug 06, 2001 12:33 pm

How much should I expect to pay to get my hair braided (whole head, shoulder length)?

Jennybean

Re:hair braiding

Post by Jennybean » Mon Aug 06, 2001 7:14 pm

Depends on where you are.....

At Los Muertos beach I would expect to pay anywhere from 200 pesos to 400+ pesos for a full head, depending on how thick your hair is, how much beadwork you want done, how much you barter, etc. It's a labour intensive job, especially in the sun. (-:

Keep in mind this braiding is also not very good for your hair, so maybe consider just having the crown done (the hair around the front of your face sans bangs). It's cheaper and you can take it out anytime you want much easier and quicker than the full head.

These are prices from last season, so they could change.

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:37 am

My wife got hers done for $100 pesos down at the south end of the Malecon @ the amphitheater, I would recommend at night to do this as it will be very hot during the day..

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:35 pm

Scott (Aug 07, 2001 10:37 p.m.):
My wife got hers done for $100 pesos down at the south end of the Malecon @ the amphitheater, I would recommend at night to do this as it will be very hot during the day..
The only downfall to this is that most of the braid vendors, in fact the majority of beach vendors period, do not work past sunset. Most of the braid vendors are women and young ladies, and they head home to their families in the evening. I usually see most of them packing up their gear and heading home just before the sun goes down, so finding someone to do your hair at night would be tough.

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:51 pm

Jennybean could be right, though there was four women doing hair Saturday night at 10:00pm, maybe because it was the weekend???

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Thu Aug 09, 2001 7:26 pm

Could be.....but I would say these four women are the exception to the rule. The ones on Los Muertos generally look for a palapa or umbrella to work under during the day so it's not so bad, but it's still pretty steamy work.