Tourless Snorkeling

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Big V
Tourless Snorkeling

Post by Big V » Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:05 pm

Does anyone know if there are any good, or even semi-good, spot around PV where a couple of amateurs can go snorkeling on their own? Also, we don't want to rent equipment (for reasons other than phobias) - is it worth bring our own or are there stores where you can buy masks/fins for cheap?

matt

Re:Tourless Snorkeling

Post by matt » Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:53 pm

Hi BigV,

In general, I would try to buy most items I needed in the US (not just snorkling equipment) for reason that prices are probably lower, selection is better and most importantly: you don't have to waste your valuable vacation time running around looking for things in the stores. If you buy snorkling equipment in the US, make sure that you don't buy the "toy" stuff that you find in places like KMart. I would try a big sporting goods store or a dive shop.

In Puerto Vallarta, Chico's Dive Shop (downtown on the malecon) does have some snorkling equipment which is reasonably priced. There are other shops as well.

I am no expert on this, but I think the beaches which are on the south side of town would provide interesting snorkling areas. I say this for two reasons: 1) these are rocky areas which should have interesting water-life to see and 2) they are at some distance from the river outlets. During the rainy season, silt from the rivers can cloud the water near these river outlets.

I would strongly recommend that you consider one of the commercial snorkling tours, however, since they can get you out to some very interesting areas which you really need a boat to reach.

Hope this provides some help. Perhaps there are some "expert" snorklers/divers out there who can help you better.

Regards,
Matt

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:14 am

Well, I'm not an expert, but there is some nice snorkeling to be found north of town too. Other than the Marietas Islands which of course are a draw because of the variety of marine life (but are accessed by the cruise boats), there are small beaches and coves that dot the bay up in the Bucerias/Punta Mita area where I bet you could snorkel right off the beach, and if so inclined, further north to Sayulita. I snorkeled (loaned mask from an amigo at the palapa next to me) at Playa El Anclote near Punta Mita, in front of the El Dorado beach club....snorkeled right off the beach in October 2000. Water was clear enough I could swim and see things too w/o snorkel gear. They also have these great sand bars that allow you to walk and swim out for probably a couple hundred yards....very cool.

Catch the grey ATM bus headed north (labeled "Punta Mita") outside the Blockbuster Video store, across from the Sheraton. 18 pesos to Punta Mita, and get off at the end of the line. Short trot to the El Dorado, which also has very cheap drinks and excellent food. Beach is like silk, and not as busy or frenzied as those in town.

Enjoy!

pt

Post by pt » Tue Aug 07, 2001 12:57 pm

Hola from PV! The beaches to the south (places that you can only get to by water taxi) are terrible visibility for snorkelng. Plus you'd have to dodge tour boats and pangas. If you want to go on your own, try to the north (as Jennybean suggests) although visibility off the beach again is not that great). Rather than going on a big tour boat, you can ask a small boat (panga) in La Jolla (to the south), Los Muertos (in town) or Punta de Mita (to the north) to take you out for a couple of hours. To the south, Los Arcos for snorkeling and to the north, Marietas - you'll have best visibility in these places. To buy snorkeling equipment here, you can go to Gigante shopping center (in the hotel zone near Pizza Hut) They sell snorkeling equipment there. Have Fun!!!