Cost of Eating at Restaurants

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Elizabeth
Cost of Eating at Restaurants

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Mar 04, 2001 6:21 am

Does any one know approximately how much a dinner will cost (per person) at the restaurants at Velas Vallarta?

How much can we expect to pay for a typical dinner at outside restaurants?

CarolynCL

Re:Cost of Eating at Restaurants

Post by CarolynCL » Tue Mar 06, 2001 1:13 am

Hi Elizabeth,

The prices are high compared to what you will find outside of the resort (I find them similar to US hotel restaurant prices). When we go to Velas (every 2 years, as we have timeshare ownership there), we might eat once or twice in the small restuarant by the water, but only if we feel too tired to go out to eat. Usually, we hop on board a local bus (3 pesos per person) and go into town where there is a huge choice of places to eat in all price ranges. Another excellent choice is to take a short 10-15 minute walk to the marina area, where there are lots of lovely little outdoor restaurants. Again, there are a variety of types and price ranges to choose from.

I would recommend searching the internet and reading some of the restaurant reviews to get a feel for names of places that you might like to try. My personal favorite is Los Arbolitos, an authentic Mexican Restaurant in the low-mid price range. They have killer margaritas (they are huge) and wonderful ambiance. A bit off the beaten path, but worth the trip. We go there every time we are in PV, at least once, sometimes twice. This is their website: http://www.losarbolitos.com/index.html .

I am not sure what type of accomodations you have booked at Velas, but if you have a kitchen, you can stock it up, and eat your breakfasts and lunches from that supply. This saves both on time and cost, and allows you to really enjoy your dinners.

Regards,
Carolyn
Toronto

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Mar 12, 2001 6:27 am

CarolynCL (Mar 05, 2001 07:13 p.m.):
Hi Elizabeth,

The prices are high compared to what you will find outside of the resort (I find them similar to US hotel restaurant prices). When we go to Velas (every 2 years, as we have timeshare ownership there), we might eat once or twice in the small restuarant by the water, but only if we feel too tired to go out to eat. Usually, we hop on board a local bus (3 pesos per person) and go into town where there is a huge choice of places to eat in all price ranges. Another excellent choice is to take a short 10-15 minute walk to the marina area, where there are lots of lovely little outdoor restaurants. Again, there are a variety of types and price ranges to choose from.

I would recommend searching the internet and reading some of the restaurant reviews to get a feel for names of places that you might like to try. My personal favorite is Los Arbolitos, an authentic Mexican Restaurant in the low-mid price range. They have killer margaritas (they are huge) and wonderful ambiance. A bit off the beaten path, but worth the trip. We go there every time we are in PV, at least once, sometimes twice. This is their website: http://www.losarbolitos.com/index.html .

I am not sure what type of accomodations you have booked at Velas, but if you have a kitchen, you can stock it up, and eat your breakfasts and lunches from that supply. This saves both on time and cost, and allows you to really enjoy your dinners.

Regards,
Carolyn
Toronto
Carolyn,
Is the Mayan Palace and Velas the same place? We have a week booked at the Mayan but can"t find it listed in the travel books, if not, are you familiar with the Mayan, we are going timeshare.

Jennybean

Post by Jennybean » Wed Mar 14, 2001 7:52 pm

You will find that the further you move away from the hotel zone/marina area, the cheaper the prices for food get. I generally eat south of the river every trip, as I have found some excellent restaurants there. If you stay out of the franchise places you can find some good deals everywhere.

I would say typical cost on dinner for 2 with drinks on the south side in high season would be around the 300-400 peso range with tip. Less in low season. This is an estimate based on dinner with a friend at the Fajita Republic on Basilio Badillo. Excellent food and tons of it.