Any News on Red Tide This Year?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

suebruce
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Any News on Red Tide This Year?

Post by suebruce » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Last year when we went Puerto Vallarta there was Red Tide flowing in and out of the bay... Not unusual... but curious if anyone has heard or noticed its presence this spring?

We arrive in PV April 1 and I was just curious. I know its presence will bring in more jelly fish which feed off the algae that cause the reddish color hence the name.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:08 pm

suebruce
I tried searching the web to see if I could find out any information for you about spring red tide .l
I could not but what I did find was this interesting article.
Looks like in Feb and March what floats around in the Ocean is not poo but Sea Foam. That is good to know.
I think though in Oct it is poo. :D
I would not swim in the Ocean by the Las Palmas but that is just my very humble opinion. :)

Professor Fabio Cupul explains (in the PVTribune) : A word about 'Sea Foam'........ For a couple of months, usually February and March, Vallarta has a strange ocean phenomenon which appears as, well, filth floating near the the tides of the beaches. This foam is due to the presence in the water of an infinite number of acorn barnacles or sacabocados (animals related to shrimp that live attached to rocks). These organisms shed their skin every time they increase in size. There are also small fragments of plants and animals within it, that complicate matters.

These elements gather along the coastline of the bay and on the surface of the water to form a net that catches small films of sea water as the waves break on the beach, creating a dirty looking color, a situation that makes many think of contamination. A fraction of the material is generated by the acorn barnacles and the rest comes from the mechanism of an action known as upwelling. Cold water, rich in organic matter, upwells from the ocean's depth to its surface. As the temperature on the bottom is lesser and it receives the waste and offal of plants and animals that live along that area of water, that precipitate and accumulate on the ocean floor, thus enriching it. This results in important economic benefits, maintaining the health of the biological ecosystems. This dirty looking sea foam offers an infallible indication of the beginning and continuation of life within the natural environment.

The above sound good to me.
Hope you get to see some ..... action in the Bay. :)

Throughout April:
Pilot and grey whales bear their young in Banderas Bay. Also, the mating season of the giant manta rays takes place throughout April and May. You can sometimes see them from the Malecon, breaking the surface as they leap into the air.

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 pm

I was here the whole month of April last year, and there were days when it was visible and close to shore, and days when it wasn't (go figure).

I haven't seen any yet, but have to presume that it will be coming.

I'd be more concerned with the "red tide" itself, than the accompanying jellyfish...by the way. Don't swim in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

cindymn
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by cindymn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Thanks for providing that explanation about what that brown looking foam is that I was seeing couple weeks ago :!: I was thinking exactly has he said "contamination"

Cindy