Crossing the bridge

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Trev086
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Crossing the bridge

Post by Trev086 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:00 pm

Just got back yesterday, dont have much time to write a long post.... but the one thing i did learn... for all those who said that crossing the bridge isn't worth it anymore... it is. Me and my friend crossed it and paid 8 bucks for it, whether its 1 dollar or 20, it still beats paying the airport tax

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:39 pm

?? What was your destination?

rudechuck
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by rudechuck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:37 pm

No offense, but I'm not lugging all my luggage across some bridge when there are taxis right at the airport. Even if it saves me $10. I'm on vacation and will allow myself this luxury.

Save your energy for more important activities (beer bottles are heavy).

Trev086
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Trev086 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:43 pm

I was going to the westin in the marina, and the bridge isn't really that far... regardless of its vacation, its saving money.. just thought i'd share a tip

rudechuck
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by rudechuck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:48 pm

I said no offense and I truly meant no offense. I wasn't trying to say you are wrong. There are lots of people who cross that bridge.

I'm just not going to be one of them.

Mainly, I just wanted an excuse to post my "cheers" smiley.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:51 pm

Thank you for your update. I know that if we were coming down for two full weeks, there is no way i am crossing that bridge with all our luggage, now this trip maybe cause we will have one suitcase between us it might be worth it. But at least we have options. And we are only going to the GCP too, so it is a short fare...

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Distance

Post by Jennybean » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:01 pm

It's also a matter of taking into consideration distance from the airport to the final destination. The Westin is probably 5 minutes from the airport.

Length of stay is also usually directly proportionate to the amount of luggage you bring...having walked that pedestrian bridge twice with nothing other than a rollerboard carryon during October (when it's 92F in the midday sun), I can tell you I sure as heck wouldn't be doing it with my full suitcase - or in the case of my last 3 week trip - 2 suitcases.

To me, with my penchant to overpack (it's a sickness, there is no cure, sorry), the extra $10 is worth it. Rather than wasting 20 minutes walking that bridge I'm in a taxi and usually at my destination or almost at it in that same time frame.

Plus, as previously noted, not ALL taxis are going to be that cheap. Town taxis are very much aware of what their federal zone counterparts charge, and they know once they have you over that bridge you are less likely to go back with everything in tow...so if they want to charge you the same rate, they will and they'll stand firm on it too.

So while no one is saying you're wrong, it's not a consistent price when you cross like it is in the airport, and it's also less hassle and haggle.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:19 pm

That is our Jennybean. Little miss practical.

that is why we love you so much girl... :wink:

:lol: 8) Tom aka Mr. Crown.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:36 pm

with my penchant to overpack (it's a sickness, there is no cure, sorry)
I have it too and you're right there is no cure. :lol:

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:10 pm

palapa_gal wrote:
Oh yes there is a cure ladies. Unfortunately the antidote is married. And that is me. Lojo used to way over pack.. we used to take one bag just full of shoes to match each outfit she was taking along on the vacation. well i got her to start matching things up with basics and neutral colors and YAHOO we are down to like two or three pairs of dress shoes, and two pairs of tennis shoes (one pair for our power walks and execising)... and then mixing and matching outfits better to meet the needs of our vacation... so there is a small minor cure for this... Also, since i have to lug most of the stuff around, as well as make sure we are under the weight restrictions for the airlines, i do packing of the suitcases. She gets everything laid out, and i distribute it between the bags, just incase we lose one. we NEVER pack one suitcase as Lorrie's and one as Tom's. been there done that fiasco.

8) Tom aka Mr Crown.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:56 pm

tojol57 wrote:
palapa_gal wrote:
Oh yes there is a cure ladies. Unfortunately the antidote is married. And that is me. Lojo used to way over pack.. we used to take one bag just full of shoes to match each outfit she was taking along on the vacation. well i got her to start matching things up with basics and neutral colors and YAHOO we are down to like two or three pairs of dress shoes, and two pairs of tennis shoes (one pair for our power walks and execising)... and then mixing and matching outfits better to meet the needs of our vacation... so there is a small minor cure for this... Also, since i have to lug most of the stuff around, as well as make sure we are under the weight restrictions for the airlines, i do packing of the suitcases. She gets everything laid out, and i distribute it between the bags, just incase we lose one. we NEVER pack one suitcase as Lorrie's and one as Tom's. been there done that fiasco.

8) Tom aka Mr Crown.
I do the distribution thing too, just in case but I also put one change of clothes, bathing suit and toilettries in the carry on. This way I know for sure that I have what I need for a day or two. On the way home I put all the initial carry on stuff in the suitcases and keep the carry on for the souvenirs I bought. Don't want to lose those!

Joyce

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

local transportaiton

Post by susan p » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:06 pm

Well if you really want to save money, pack very light, and take the bus -lol!!!
________
Halfbaked
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

susan p
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

taxi

Post by susan p » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:09 pm

How much is an airport taxi to The Marina? ~80 peso doesn't seem that cheap to me for a short ride.
________
Ford Xm Falcon
Last edited by susan p on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:23 pm

that is so true joyce... that is what we do as well.. forgot to mention that. we have at least one short outfit, toiletries, and swim suits to get us by for a day or two just incase... but then again, that is why we are working with the resort to leave like weeks worth of clothes there for spur of the moment trips. show up with our tooth brushes and party for a week and go home... how does that sound...

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown.

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:51 pm

That sounds great, I guess a person could always just jump on the plane and buy everything they need in PV.

Joyce

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:33 pm

if i win the lottery this weekend Joyce, that is exactly what i am going to do. but instead of flying commercial. i am getting me a private jet... :-|3 might have to make some flight plans to pick people up too huh...

:wink: :lol: 8) Tom aka mr crown...

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:23 pm

tojol57 wrote:might have to make some flight plans to pick people up too huh... :wink: :lol: 8)
Yup. :lol: :wink: :D

winterpegman

Re: taxi

Post by winterpegman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:32 pm

susan p wrote:How much is an airport taxi to The Marina? ~80 peso doesn't seem that cheap to me for a short ride.
Going from the airport TO anywhere else is always more expensive, rather than going TO the airport from somewhere.

Airport to where I live in 5 de Deciembre for example is somewhere around 190 pesos....but from here to there is more like 80...or even less.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:34 pm

:roll: boy you jumped on that right way Lori.... ok those of you that are in Canada, have to go to Vancuver, and those of you in the mid west, meet either in DM or Chicago, depending on the plane....

8) Tom aka Mr. Crown... $$$$$

michelle/tyler
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by michelle/tyler » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 pm

we can get to vancouver no problem. :D
Last edited by michelle/tyler on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.