Information needed

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Easy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Information needed

Post by Easy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:04 pm

We are going to Puerto Vallarta for the first time on June 14th, and we have a couple of questions:

- we have gotten conflicting information regarding the water. Is the water okay at most hotels and restuarants or will it make us sick?

- will our cell phone work (Cingular is our provider)?

- is it okay to take a laptop computer along?

Thanks in advance for your help.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:11 pm

YES

Probably

Yes, but why?

More smart answers from me, so please don't take offense.

Yes the water is very safe throughout PV. Been to Mexico 18 times in the last 7 years and not gotten sick. Tequila is a wonderfu preventative medicine. The water and ice are purified so no real need to worry. Bottled water is available everywhere if you would rather have that.

Cell- I have an international calling plan that works in most places in PV and the Mayan Riveria. Call your provider to have that added on. In my case it doesn't cost extra. I have mine along only because I am leaving the kids at home and need to check on them occasionaly.

I, myself wouldn't bring a laptop, just because that's why I'm going to PV, to get away from the day to day stuff :arrow: JMO. There are lots of high speed internet cafes all over the place. From what I hear, they are very resonalble.
Last edited by chuck on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rosie

Post by rosie » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:12 pm

1. I drink water directly from the tap and have not gotten sick in over 6 PV visits....buffets (and raicilla!) are another story.
2. can't help you with this one
3. a laptop is ok just be prepared to have it inspected, turned on, off etc.

charlieb

Post by charlieb » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:01 am

And just to make yourself feel even better, ask when you check in if you can drink the hotel water. They will tell you "si" and there ya go! Have fun. Chuck... 8)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:27 pm

all excellent answers... i agree why bring the laptop, if you really want to check e-mails, this bulletin board, etc... go to one of the cyber cafes...

enjoy... drink the water... and if you have to put a little whiskey or scotch in it... and you will be fine just as well....

:wink: :lol: 8)

Youarethere
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Youarethere » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Just a funny story to add to the water topic. We had been to PV many times so we knew that the water was fine to drink so one night while out at dinner we over heard the people sitting next to us talking about the safety of the water to each other and how they were not going to eat or drink anything with it. When the server asked us what we would like to drink we replied "Two BIG glasses of water please" well you should have seen the expressions on their faces.

desi
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by desi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:10 pm

I usually still drink the bottled water but have drank the tap water and it has never made me sick.....Its the heat and alcohol that will make you sick if you're not careful.....my rule is one bottle of water per alc. drink and then lay off for a little bit in the afternoon if you want to make it into the night....and if you drink tequila...drink the 100% Agave...much better and less likely to make u sick the next morning...lol..enjoy.....ps where are you guys staying....we will be there 14th-21st! yahooo only 8 more days and we are there!

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Re: Information needed

Post by ozzy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:10 pm

Easy wrote:We are going to Puerto Vallarta for the first time on June 14th, and we have a couple of questions:

- we have gotten conflicting information regarding the water. Is the water okay at most hotels and restuarants or will it make us sick?

- will our cell phone work (Cingular is our provider)?

- is it okay to take a laptop computer along?

Thanks in advance for your help.
1.) Yes it's perfectly fine to drink the water
2.) Yes (we have cingular as well.)
3.) Yes I bring laptop because I still have to work no matter where I go. I've asked Tom to lend me enough money so I can fully relax but I still haven't heard from him yet. :lol:

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:00 pm

OZ, what the heck do you do that you have to work while on holiday?..I know not everyone is like me, that as soon as I'm finished at work, I don't think about it for 5 days.

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:57 pm

I have my own small company that supplies reatail stores with signage. We also do a magazine and 7 phone directories. No one to do what I do while I'm gone so I just handle the emergencies while on holiday. Like I say afternoons you can forget I'm generaly not good with numbers by then.

:lol:

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:58 pm

ozzy wrote:I have my own small company that supplies reatail stores with signage. We also do a magazine and 7 phone directories. No one to do what I do while I'm gone so I just handle the emergencies while on holiday. Like I say afternoons you can forget I'm generaly not good with numbers by then.

and you want me to foot your bills to PV... tax write off is what i see, business expenses, like HELLO Ozzy... :wink: :lol: 8) join the Enron boys on how to make it in the corporate world... :wink: :lol: 8)

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey Tom it never hurts to ask. :lol: The worst that can happen is they no, and since you have said no, Can I put you down as a firm maybe then? :wink: Yo know , I can't picture the posters on this board in the same location with booze at the same time. It's going to be bad in February is all I can say. <:-)-

kansas
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by kansas » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:19 pm

I here what Tom is talking about. I am thinking one day I will be conducting our annual meetings in PV (s-corp) and using the trip as a tax write off.

One problem with that. I have to get the company making money to write off anything first :x

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:18 pm

Call a board meeting, or have a manager's retreat and training session at the resort... meet one hour in the morning, and one hour in the afternoon on whatever, and you have it in the bag... take minutes and some documentation and you are on your way to full tax relief.... I remember when Dobbs Tire from St. Louis area had all his store managers and assitant managers to the GCP for meetings, and rewards for the work they had done that past year. Hola Senor Dobbs, he and his wife were just a wonderful couple to visit with and hang out with down by the pool too.... See you can do it too....

kansas
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by kansas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:17 pm

I know it it possible, but you have to make enough money to pay for the trip.

I have just put a deposit down on a building and hopefully open when I get back in July. :-)9

So, I am just saying I need to make it first before being able to write it off. But, when I do, you will see me holding meetings at the Breeze Bar at least annually and maybe someday quarterly! 8V8

I will just have to conduct the meeting in the morning, because Oz mentioned that his typing skills arent so good in the afternoon oo-| to take minutes.

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:33 pm

If that's the case I'll will actually attend your meeting, something I never ever do now.
We took a trip to the Riveria Maya 2 Jans ago and wrote that off. There were a bunch of local realtors there and since Kay is a marketing agent for a title insurance co., that was enough. :D

kansas
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by kansas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Chuck,

Maybe I will conduct Job interviews down there and anyone who wants to apply and interview for a job can write that off as a job hunting expense on their taxes.

Not sure if you would get the job, but I do encourage you to apply and interview... :wink:

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:29 pm

Why not publish a magazine see, then when you return you write an article about the places you have gone to. :wink: You are catching my drift aren't you :?: :)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:24 pm

I will accept an "honorary" board position for your company and help with setting up the annual and eventually quarterly meetings... oh yes we can have staffing meetings as well and utilize the vast number of prospective employees down there, we have to make sure they all fill out applications so that we can document our interview process and our search for new employees.... cha - ching....

:wink: :lol: 8)

ozzy
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by ozzy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 pm

I was thinking of Aldo as chairman. He could conduct the meeting as he see's fit. :wink: Oh what a meeting that would be. :lol: