Tipping, Tipping, Tipping

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Do you tip when travelling All-inclusive?

Yes
64%
No
6%
Haven't ever travelled All-inclusive
30%

Total votes: 107

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru
Re: Tipping Airport Porters

Post by teduardo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:38 pm

cdnevilwoman wrote:What would be a good or average tip for the porters at the PV airport?
I believe the norm is 10 pesos per bag, I give the porter 50 pesos for our three large bags, and have always gotten a big grin and a hearty gracias.

tim25
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tim25 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:11 pm

tandr2 wrote:we always tip - depending on the service...

on another note - not to sound stupid - but does the US have $2 bills? we just discussed this at home the other day... in Canada we have the toonie but what about the states? :)
Yes, the US does have $2 bills, they're just not that common - I believe that there was only one production run...

As for the Canadian "Loonies & Toonies" and ALL other non-Mexican coinage, leave it at home - you can't spend it in Mexico, and don't tip with it because it's worthless to the locals. Last time I was in PV, I actually bought over $200 worth of Canadian coin from a few of the bartenders. They were VERY happy, my glass was never empty for the two weeks I was there, and I had no trouble spending it when I got home.

I'll probably do that again if I manage to get down to paradise in January.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:17 pm

I wouldn't dream of tipping in CDN $...I do tip occassionally in US $ but this trip we're not bringing any US...just CDN and will exchange as we need. Saves me from having to go to the bank before our trip and after to exchange. In fact, I've already gotten some pesos from the bank to tide us over for a day or so... I got 10.4 pesos per CDN dollar.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:07 am

Exchange fee's dock your tip that you give these folks....

Cash in your currency ASAP ($100 bill into Peso's) and start from there.
Also- no offense...but the guy who said they may only leave 10% to servers, due to resort town prices you are being charged???? or those that feel you do not tip at AI resorts??

You are the reason every pasty white Gringo not carrying their wallet or money clip is labeled a "cheap charlie" and suffers for the remainder of their trip with often less than great service.

Tip often and tip until it hurts is my opinion...these people knock themselves out to get these jobs, and most do it very very well once they get them!

Sorry for the rant

11 days and counting...Vallarta, here I come!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:09 pm

Quote: "You are the reason every pasty white Gringo not carrying their wallet or money clip is labeled a "cheap charlie" and suffers for the remainder of their trip with often less than great service."

That's all well and good to say and I agree with you about tipping. I usually leave in the area of 20%. But don't forget, the Mexican people who are labelling others "cheap charlie" are the ones who, in their own private lifes, do not as a rule practice good tipping. Even they go out to dinner and for drinks, etc., and believe me, many of them do not practice what they preach as the Mexican custom is 10%. So it is rather irksome to be labeled cheap. I know, I know, they don't have as much disposable income. That is not the point. Somewhere, someone down the line is depending on their business, too, even if it's just at a cheap taco stand.

glacierroasters
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by glacierroasters » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:56 pm

ellen wrote:That's all well and good to say and I agree with you about tipping. I usually leave in the area of 20%. But don't forget, the Mexican people who are labelling others "cheap charlie" are the ones who, in their own private lifes, do not as a rule practice good tipping. Even they go out to dinner and for drinks, etc., and believe me, many of them do not practice what they preach as the Mexican custom is 10%. So it is rather irksome to be labeled cheap. I know, I know, they don't have as much disposable income. That is not the point. Somewhere, someone down the line is depending on their business, too, even if it's just at a cheap taco stand.
:?

How would any of us know that? I don't...maybe others do?

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Tips

Post by smitty » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:44 pm

Foreign Tipping Guide by Country & Region
( Swiped from another travel forum )

Since all the other threads are about should you or shouldn't you & usually get into a philosophical discussion, thought I'd post something I read in newspaper that was taken from Magellen's. It's a more specific guide by country.

REGIONAL TIPPING TIPS

Asia/the Pacific: Special care must be taken to ensure that your well-meaning gesture is not taken as insulting. If you are unsure, it is best not to tip. If possible, observe the locals and follow their lead.

Europe: Many hotels and restaurants add a service charge to the bill. In most cases, an additional tip is unnecessary. If no service charge is added to your bill, 10% is the general rule for restaurant service, and $1 per bag for a hotel porter.

Middle East/Africa: While your tip will not be seen as insulting, it may be unnecessary. Once again, the best bet is to do as the locals do.

Central/South America: Many hotels and restaurants add a service charge to the bill, and an additional tip is unnecessary. If not, 10% is the general rule for restaurant service, and the equivalent of $1 per bag for a porter.

FOREIGN TIPPING GUIDE - COUNTRY

This list is by country, and then waiter/waitress, porter, and taxi driver categories.

Argentina
W/W: 10%
P: $1
TD: Round up taxi fare or small tip

Australia
W/W: 10% in fine restaurants only
P: $2 per bag
TD: Round up

Austria
W/W: 5% plus service charge
P: $1 to $2 per bag

Bahamas
P: $1 per bag
TD: 10% (15% actual per local FTer

Brazil
W/W: 10% to 15%
TD: 10%

Brunei
W/W: None
P: None
TD: None

Canada
W/W: 15% ranges from 10%-20% per local FTers

Cayman Islands
W/W: 15% if no service charge

Chile
W/W: 10% in addition to service charge

China
W/W: 3% in major cities (according to local FTers; 0%)
P: $1 to $2 (according to local FTers, none)

Colombia
P: 75 cents per bag

Costa Rica

Czech Republic
W/W: 5% to 10%

Denmark

Estonia
W/W: 10-15% for restaurants (in pubs toss spare change into big shared bowl for waitresses)
P: ?
TD: ?

Fiji

Finland
W/W: 10% if no service charge

France

Germany
W/W: 5% to 10% or round up plus euro or two per some FTers

Greece
W/W: 5% to 10% plus service charge

Hong Kong
W/W: 10% plus service charge if svg charge no need to add 10% per local FTer or round up

India
P: $1 per bag (according to local FTers 50cents/bag)
TD: Round u

Ireland

Israel
W/W: 12% to 15% if no service charge
TD: 12% to 15% (according to local FTers, tips included in fares; could tip but not 12-15%)

Italy
W/W: 10% plus service charge

Japan

Malaysia

Mexico
P: $1
TD: 50 cents

Netherlands

New Zealand

Norway
TD: Round Up

Peru
W/W: Up to 10% for special service
P: 75cents per bag

Philippines
P: 50 cents to $1 per bag

Poland

Portugal
W/W: 10% to 15% if no service charge

Romania
W/W: Round up bill

Russia

Samoa

Singapore

South Africa
P: 50 cents

South Korea

Spain
W/W: 7% to 10% plus service charges

Sweden

Taiwan
W/W: 10% if no service charge (none according to local FTer)

Tanzania

Turkey
W/W: Round up

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom
TD: 15% (according to local FTers 10% or round up to nearest pound)

USA
W/W: 15% to 20%
TD: 10% to 15%

chrisnick
PV Master
PV Master

Post by chrisnick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:31 pm

Thanks for the guide!! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I won't be lucky enough to travel to most of the countries listed. I usually tip at least 15% (even though I'm a girl and YES women do tip!). I try to make sure I always have smaller bills etc on me so I'm not put in the predicament of either leaving a huge tip or asking for change which I don't like to do.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for the guide, Smitty. I found it interesting that the rule of thumb for taxi drivers in Mexico is 50 cents. In the past there have been articles in the local Vallarta papers saying that locals are complaining about taxis ignoring them in favour of tourists because they know they will get a tip from the tourists and likely not so much from the locals. I still maintain - and I know this isn't a popular statement - that we have contributed to the high cost of living in the area by overtipping and creating unreal expectations in an attempt to assuage our North American guilt over having so much more.

glacierroasters, you're right - how would you know if no one told you? I think there are general guidelines in travel books and I know of at least one English language Vallarta paper that advises not to tip taxi drivers at all. My knowledge, if you want to call it that, comes from 2 years of having lived on Mexico's gulf coast and making many Mexican friends along the way. Although that was many years ago, we are still in touch with several of the friends and 2 of them visited me in Vallarta in November. In the course of their visit we went out to eat at least 3 times and I watched what they tipped. If they are any indication, things haven't changed much, and as Smitty's quote shows, 10% is still the norm.

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 pm

As a side note, I just thought of an incident that occurred a few years ago when I was shopping with a Mexican friend of mine in Mexico City. I saw one of those little ladies sitting on the sidewalk making the little dolls in traditional Mexican dress. I watched her sew the eyes on and smooth the hair down before asking her how much she wanted for it. The price she quoted me was so low that I just gave it to her without haggling. When we walked away Rosa gave me heck for not haggling her down. She said it's the same as in the fruit and vegetable markets, etc. We just make it harder for the Mexicans to compete and are driving the prices up. Oh well, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Sorry, that's a little off-topic but in the same theme.