Please humor a first time international traveler...

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic
Please humor a first time international traveler...

Post by leighg » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:28 pm

My husband and I are wondering how you all feel about getting Hep A vaccines before traveling to Mexico, for the first time ever. It's recommended by the local health dept., but I'm curious to know what other travelers feel about this. It could end up costing us an arm and a leg to get them, and I'd rather save that money for margaritas if it's not necessary!

Thanks!
Leigh

jubilee

Re:Please humor a first time international traveler...

Post by jubilee » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:57 pm

That is a really difficult one to answer. Personally, I have gotten the shots for both A & B. There is none for C. Twinrix has the combination of A & B. When will you be travelling? This might be a moot question if you are planning to be there within the next couple of months. Because you need a shot, followed by a second 1 month later and the the last at 6 Months. 7 months before the vaccine is completed.

I would say go for the shots, after all, Hep A & B are not only in Mexico. If you ever eat fruits or go to a reataurant, you ecpose yourself to the possibility every time. Your health and well being is worth more than any glass of Margarita.

Just my opinion.

Charlieb

Post by Charlieb » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:47 am

ABSOLUTELY get Hep A at the very minimum. It is a small cost considering the cost of hepatitus on your liver! Even considering not getting the protection in order to buy more margaritas is just plain silly.

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:43 am

Charlieb (Jul 23, 2004 09:47 p.m.):
ABSOLUTELY get Hep A at the very minimum. It is a small cost considering the cost of hepatitus on your liver! Even considering not getting the protection in order to buy more margaritas is just plain silly.
Thanks guys. I DO realize it's silly not to get the protection, just to save the money, if it is necessary, that's why I'm asking if it IS necessary!! :) We'll probably go get them next week. You are protected after the first shot within two weeks, (I've done my research!) but do have to get a followup injection. I'll call our doctor first thing Monday!! :) (We're going Aug. 16-20)

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:01 pm

Leigh ... I've been coming to PV for 20 years and have never gotten a Hep shot. I've never had any problems either. I'm always careful, though, about what I eat. I guess the bottom line is that if you're concerned, get the shot. If you're not, just spend the money on margs.

susana

Post by susana » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:36 pm

As with all medical questions, I'll disclaimer with "ask your doctor" like they say on all those ads about before you start this diet~ haha.

Having said that I've traveled 1-2 times a year to Puerto Vallarta over 15 years without getting any shots for traveling. Never occured to me, to be quite honest.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:48 pm

susana (Jul 24, 2004 11:36 a.m.):
As with all medical questions, I'll disclaimer with "ask your doctor" like they say on all those ads about before you start this diet~ haha.

Having said that I've traveled 1-2 times a year to Puerto Vallarta over 15 years without getting any shots for traveling. Never occured to me, to be quite honest.
same here susana. never thought much about it. travelling to p.v. for 10 years and have never had a problem. the only shots i ever get usually have tequila involved.

bzy1

Post by bzy1 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:30 pm

Ask your doctor, but let me add, that every year, many major cities in the US and Canada have a Hep outbreak due to a kitchen worker/server infecting the food. This is not restricted to just Mexico...in fact the three articles below are all about Hep A outbreaks in the States. The one article about a Chi-Chi's in Ohio, claimed three people and infected 500.

I just did a quick google search and found these three articles (all different cases) regarding thousands of people having to get tested/shots due to waitstaff or kitchen staff having hepatitus...NOT in Mexico, but in your neighborhood.

http://www.stonehamonline.com/frontpage ... s=070704-1

http://www.livefromarlington.com/articl ... 6072710264

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... click=true

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:02 am

The liver is a muscle as well as an organ. It needs to be exercised regularly. I am exercising my liver even as I write this post. Don't wait till you get to PV to start exercising your liver. You can not jump start any exercise regimen; you have to start gradually and build up so your muscles can accept bigger challenges and succeed and thrive. Just wanted to post an alternative medicine view. Bottom line, PV could be taxing on your liver if your liver is not up to the challenge.

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:03 am

The liver is a muscle as well as an organ. It needs to be exercised regularly. I am exercising my liver even as I write this post. Don't wait till you get to PV to start exercising your liver. You can not jump start any exercise regimen; you have to start gradually and build up so your muscles can accept bigger challenges and succeed and thrive. Just wanted to post an alternative medicine view. Bottom line, PV could be taxing on your liver if your liver is not up to the challenge.

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:35 pm

bzy1 (Jul 24, 2004 07:30 p.m.):
I just did a quick google search and found these three articles (all different cases) regarding thousands of people having to get tested/shots due to waitstaff or kitchen staff having hepatitus...NOT in Mexico, but in your neighborhood.
You are, of course, right about Hep A being an issue here in the states as well. We will probably be best off in the long run to just get them done! Watch me do this and we'll get salmonella poisoning or something anyway! That's the type of luck we have! LOL Thanks for all your words of wisdom everyone. We have asked our doctor about this, he said contact the health department and they "recommend" being up to date on Tetanus (which we both are anyway) and Hep A, but these are just recommendations. I get the impression that as long as we stick to popular tourist posts we'll be just as safe as at home. And since they closed our Chi-Chi's maybe we're safer here at home now too! ;) LOL Anyway! We're just trying to think of EVERYTHING. Thanks again.

Guess I better go start exercising my liver, what ever the heck that means!? LOL

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:37 pm

LeighG (Jul 25, 2004 02:35 p.m.):
bzy1 (Jul 24, 2004 07:30 p.m.):
I get the impression that as long as we stick to popular tourist posts we'll be just as safe as at home.

I'm not sure what I mean by "tourist posts" I think I meant tourist areas...you know what I mean. LOL I'm just SO excited for my first trip out of this country, I can't even speak!!!

marcos
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by marcos » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:27 pm

There used to be a popular adage when going to many destinations outside of the US ... "if you can't peal it, don't eat it". I don't think that is nearly as valid today in Mexico as it was 20 years ago. On the other hand, it isn't a bad rule to live by when you're vacationing in PV.

And exercising your liver early isn't a bad thing to do, either! We all tend to drink A LOT MORE in PV than at home ... at least I do. So you may want to have a few more evening/weekend cocktails for a few weeks prior to get your liver (and body) in better shape to handle the excess of alcohol that you may be imbibing.

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:42 am

randyintucson (Jul 25, 2004 12:03 a.m.):

hi randy. your liver is fine. obviously your fingers are getting a good workout. your double posting seems to be doing great. lol

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:50 am

margarita man (Jul 26, 2004 10:42 p.m.):
randyintucson (Jul 25, 2004 12:03 a.m.):

hi randy. your liver is fine. obviously your fingers are getting a good workout. your double posting seems to be doing great. lol
Hi, mm. Let me try this. I will hit post, walk into the kitchen to refill my drink and not touch the keyboard for a few minutes and see if I end up with a single or double post. At a minimum, I will be keeping my liver in shaper for my next trip to PV in September. Cheers!!

randyintucson
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by randyintucson » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:10 am

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I didn't touch this keboard for at least 5 minutes. Why do I get it right sometmes and wrong others? I don't have a clue and I am not doing this intentionally. At least I never triple post!

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:13 pm

randyintucson (Jul 26, 2004 11:10 p.m.):
Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I didn't touch this keboard for at least 5 minutes. Why do I get it right sometmes and wrong others? I don't have a clue and I am not doing this intentionally. At least I never triple post!

lol poor randy i have no idea what you are doing wrong. i was sure you were doing it intentionally so you could reach 100 posts, become a premium member and over throw canadian chiquita from her lofty position of cultural minister. but i see now that you are quite sincere and you would never stoop to that sort of disgusting activity. have a great day.

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:38 pm

Just thought I'd update that we are going today to get our shots. Then on to exercising my liver......

tgammon
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by tgammon » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:47 pm

randyintucson (Jul 26, 2004 11:10 p.m.):
I have double posted once and it was because of clicking the post twice when posting...I think I was distracted...and didn't remember if I posted or not...but if you are only clicking the post button once and it is double or triple posting..I am not sure...after you post try going back up to the top and hitting puerto vallarta bulletin boards to get completely out of the area and see if that helps...unless it is the alcohol that is causing the problem... : )

leighg
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by leighg » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:33 pm

LeighG (Jul 29, 2004 10:38 a.m.):
Just thought I'd update that we are going today to get our shots. Then on to exercising my liver......
And can I just add now.....OUCH!!! LOL Oh, and our insurance covered this, so it only cost us $30 at our doctors office, as opposed to the $100+ at the Health Department. Just a tip for others!!