Can I drink the water in Puerto Vallarta?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Have you ever gotten sick drinking water in Puerto Vallarta?

Yes
9%
No
79%
Not sure
12%

Total votes: 78

Discombobulated
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Discombobulated » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:58 pm

We (hubby and I) have been to PV several times and are going back again in Jan 07...

Stayed in many different places, from the Lindo Mar to the Westin Regina.

Never once did we get sick. The only illness we suffered in Mexico was due to hangovers and sunburn.

So it is a hit and miss but it also has a lot to do with your constitution I think. You gotta think the locals drink the water and eat the food every day and I haven't yet heard of a major dyssentary (sp) outbreak.

Both of us have iron lined stomachs and can eat anything at all with no ill effects...although Burger King has been known to give us the trots. :wink:

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:35 am

Supposedly but, I just use it for brushing my teeth. The only time I've ever been sick in Vallarta (20 years of travelling there) was when I went down there with a doozy of a cold/flu. I think my immune system was already so weak that any minor bacteria did damage it wouldn't normally have.

bbbhug2001
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Water & Food

Post by bbbhug2001 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Well for me my tummy can't handle alot of stuff,I don't drink the water at all.
I never did.

I did get very sick, I almost sent myself to the hospital, But happy that I took everything I could to help myself get better.It was chicken I ate. So I don't eat any meat or chicken, or ice water ,if I am anywhere out of the country.

I do eat fruit,eggs,milk,yougart, and pastas, breads,fish,desserts (some),I just watch what I eat when I am out of the country.

Tracy
Winnpeg,MB
Canada

lanhawk
PV Fan
PV Fan

Water and Food

Post by lanhawk » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:20 pm

Of all the people I've seen who claim they were sick, most were due to hangovers, too much sun, too much eating and lack of enough water. Some things to remenber is to not buy produce off of the street with the idea that they might have been washed \watered with unfiltered water or hit a new taco stand that haven't been checked out before. Some of the board members have gone out and done an outstanding job reviewing the local street vendor taco stands. Drink a lot of bottled water, don't over do the sun and enjoy. 8)

chico98
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by chico98 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:43 pm

SEAPAL
our water dept of vallarta
claims that the water has been cerfied drinkable water
great
that is from the water plant or there subwater pumps through out the city
but by the time it reaches your tap it had passed thru all type of good and bad piping
there are still a lot of galvanized pipes that are rusted as well when there is a leak dirt passes thru

so stick with bottled water
coca cola (ciel) and pepsi (santori) are the best that sells for 21 pesos for 20 liters of water
there are others
but they are not as clean

buen salud

Youarethere
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Youarethere » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Cooters-mom wrote:Take precaution! We just got back and we weren't as careful as we should have been. We came back with major sickness people. I don't know if I ever care to go back!

W-| wait, wait that's because you didn't drink enough of the water, you need to drink alot of it. Really but been going to PV for ages and never got sick. Went to Cancun 3 times and you name it I got it. PV has good water, there's nothing wrong with it. Sometimes people get sick from food that isn't keep cold enough or food is left out in the heat.

kagnew64
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by kagnew64 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:40 pm

As one who suffered thru the infamous Hyatt diet of Cook county I am
familiar with food and water transmitted illness. Our first trip to PV and
I was sick within 5 hours.
Two changes in routine and I have had no problems since-
I eat nothing at DFW, and my diet the first 24 hours in PV is light non-
greasy food. Very very little alcohol
Most new visitors overdo on rich food, drink, and activities !!!

snorkelbaby
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by snorkelbaby » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:45 pm

We always drink bottled water but I brush my teeth with the tap water. My dh on the other hand is ultra paranoid and washes the dishes, brushes his teeth etc. with bottled water. LOL... of course HE was the one who ended up getting sick so I don't think it was from the water.

amol
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

You can drink

Post by amol » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi,
you can drink the Puerto vallarta water. Puetro vallarta has the cleanest water in Mexico. The water there is treated and purified, but the distribution system is not so perfect.Then why you take the chance,you drink bottled water.

darla
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by darla » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:08 pm

My husband and I along with 3 other couples were in PV in Jan 08. We all ate and drank the same, but one of the women in the group got deathly ill when we returned to the states. She was so sick she had to be hospitalized for about 4 days. They never did figure out what was wrong with her, but she's convinced it had something to do with PV water. I can't imagine that it was since we all drank and ate alike and she was the only one sick. We chartered a sailboat one of the days and she seems to think it was either the food or drink there, but like I said we all ate it and didn't get sick.

nehaaoxy
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nehaaoxy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:06 am

Can hepatitis b diagnosis be mistaken with a patient taking dexamethasone 4 mg? A patient's been taking dexamethasone 4 mg qd and got tested positive for chronic hepatitis b. Could it be a mistake?

JaCKIeFRank
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by JaCKIeFRank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:17 am

I Also drink the water, eat the fruits and veggies. Consume anything that looks edible. No sickness ever, except too much tequila during the first trip to PV and staying at the GCP. I went alittle overboard with the margaritas