Can I drink the water in Puerto Vallarta?

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

Have you ever gotten sick drinking water in Puerto Vallarta?

Yes
9%
No
79%
Not sure
12%

Total votes: 78

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Can I drink the water in Puerto Vallarta?

Post by webmaster » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:28 pm

These previous threads should answer your concerns on the water issue:

viewtopic.php?t=9036
viewtopic.php?t=9114
viewtopic.php?t=8547
viewtopic.php?t=1096

Personally I don't like the taste (that's the main issue, water shouldn't taste) of Mexican tap water, so I buy and drink purified water always.

Greetings

Mogens
Last edited by webmaster on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

palapa_gal
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by palapa_gal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:38 pm

I always drink bottled water but do use the tap water for brushing teeth and making coffee. I also just use plain tap water to wash fruits & veggies and have never gotten sick.

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:40 pm

when we first started coming down we did a lot of bottled water, using sprite or 7up to brush teeth etc (that was 14+ yrs ago), but now we don't have any problem using the tap to brush teeth, take a pill, make coffee, wash up some fruit... and have not had any side effects.... jmo....

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:46 am

I drink the water, eat the fruits and veggies. Consume anything that looks edible. No sickness ever, except too much tequila during the first trip to PV and staying at the GCP. I went alittle overboard with the margaritas

travelbug_jp
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by travelbug_jp » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:05 am

chuck wrote:I drink the water, eat the fruits and veggies. Consume anything that looks edible. No sickness ever, except too much tequila during the first trip to PV and staying at the GCP. I went alittle overboard with the margaritas
Good thing you weren't on the Marigalante when you went overboard.

Joyce

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:35 pm

:lol: :wink: :lol: :lol:

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by **LoLa** » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Everytime I go to Mexico, I brush my teeth/drink bottled water :lol:
If you are worried you might get sick, stick with bottled! Don't take the chance..what do you have to loose! Its free, and the maids put bottled water in your room! You dont want to end up in bed all week! ;-/

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:51 pm

I drink the water straight from the tap...never a problem. I DO chill it in the fridge though!

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Did you know... :)
Usually you get one bottle of water (for each person) a day left in your room.
If you need more bottled water just take your empty to the bar or Restaurant at your resort and they will refill it for you. :)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:28 pm

**LoLa** wrote:dont want to end up in bed all week! ;-/
You don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmm strange... :twisted: :evil: :oops: 8)

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by **LoLa** » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 pm

:shock: oh my lordy!!! lol...okay, get your mind out of the gutter!!! :lol:
I meant in bed...SICK!!! ***-(

winterpegman

Post by winterpegman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:49 pm

Tom get his mind out of the gutter???? Not gonna happen... :?

**LoLa**
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by **LoLa** » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:03 pm

Now I know who the trouble maker of the site is! :twisted: :evil: :o

Cooters-mom
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by Cooters-mom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Take precaution! We just got back and we weren't as careful as we should have been. We came back with major sickness people. I don't know if I ever care to go back!

ellen
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by ellen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:32 am

Cooters-mom wrote:Take precaution! We just got back and we weren't as careful as we should have been. We came back with major sickness people. I don't know if I ever care to go back!
That's horrible. Any idea what happened? Was it bad food or bad water? How did it affect you and how long did it last? I hope you're feeling much better by now.

nospam
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nospam » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:58 pm

I guess it is a bit of a gamble. If you eat out, you just don’t know what the food preparation was. We use bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth. We use antiseptic hand wipes as required and water shoes when in the ocean. We don’t think about it now, its automatic. We have always had a great time and just try to cut down the odds.

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Water

Post by Jennybean » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:13 pm

I've never used bottled water to brush my teeth, and been perfectly fine. The one time I didn't was when the hotel slid a letter under my door advising they were working on the plumbing and not to use the tap water or shower that day.

I drink bottled because I can chill it. The large resorts and hotels have their own filtration systems on top of the already purified water that comes in.

While there isn't anything you can do about food handling anywhere, including the big resorts, I find that all of the establishments I've been to in PV are extremely diligent about their water and ice. Many people are really quick to blame the water when it might be something as simple as overindulgence or not giving your body time to adjust after long travel hours and to new foods without preservatives. Both will throw your digestive system into a tizzy for a day or two.

The other thing to be aware of is the time of year you go. I've been told by many of my local friends that sometimes in low season restaurants will hold on to expensive items such as meat as long as possible if there isn't enough clientele to have continuous turnover of product...which can sometimes backfire if they don't have adequate enough cold storage. I guess I can't blame them for that really, meat - especially exports - can get pricey and it's hard for a small business owner to just toss that away. I have been told about places in Canada and the US that do the same. It's sometimes the nature of the beast when you're struggling to make ends meet.

The odds of you contracting Hepatitis or food borne illness from mishandled or badly prepared dishes is actually just as great, if not greater, in the US or Canada than it is in Mexico. That is a simple fact. As nospam notes, you take the precautions you can and just carry on as usual. Unless I went somewhere more than once and had them make me sick, I wouldn't ever write a place off. Even 5 star restaurants get bad shipments or have human error.

And it would certainly never keep me from returning to Mexico!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:40 pm

Cooters-mom wrote:Take precaution! We just got back and we weren't as careful as we should have been. We came back with major sickness people. I don't know if I ever care to go back!
Just curious, since I am a life time laboratorian, can you be specific about what you ran into. If you don't want to post it I would appreciate a PM.
Thanks

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:43 pm

Oh BTW, in regards to getting sick in Mexico, what about the E.coli outbreak in the good old US of A.? Who would have thought eating raw spinich (something that is extremly healthy) could hurt you so badly.

IR1SH
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by IR1SH » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:51 pm

My wife and I were in PV and NV last May (5/1-5/6). The only ill I suffered to my plumbing was due to the rich food served at the Japanese restaurant at the Vallarta Palace. The food was great, but too rich for my stomach…. Could have been caused by the copious amount of margaritas I drank that day too! Otherwise, I drank straight from the facet every day!

First post here! We miss PV terribly! Want to get back there soon! We’ll have to wait until after our first child is born in Feb….