Female traveling solo - safety concerns

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

nynan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
Female traveling solo - safety concerns

Post by nynan » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:23 pm

I am a 37 year old American female traveling solo 8/18 - 8/24. I want to relax, go to the spa and see the sites. I am a little worried about my safety. I will be staying at the Westin and have read other message boards that state people have gone in hotel rooms and stolen items left out by guests ,i.e., loose change, pesos, etc. One traveler reported that the maid left the balcony door open and someone, most likely a worker came through the door and stole some change. I am really concerned about this since I will be alone. I don't want to sleep with one eye opened. Suggestions needed. Thanks.

McGrady

Re:Female traveling solo - safety concerns

Post by McGrady » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:56 pm

Just use the same common sense you always would. I think PV is safer than most US cities. I’ve never had a single incident

smitty
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by smitty » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:21 pm

Make use of your room safe and don't leave money/valuables out in the open. Your hotel will have security around the clock,if you are really concerned ask them to give you special attention. They will comply and you will have peace of mind. As for hotel employees stealing -this can happen anywhere. Service industry jobs especially maids are coveted because of the tips and we've found the staff to be honest and hard working. Why would someone forfeit a good job for change ? You can always purchase a motion detector alarm (electronics store) for a few $ before you leave and place it by your door. This will scare the heck out of anyone entering the room !
When you travel downtown you will notice white garbed tourist police. They are there to help us visitors,anything from crossing a busy street to getting the correct bus. PV has always been a very safe destination for us but common sense and preparedness can alleviate the fears associated with travelling alone.

pvdeb
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by pvdeb » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:29 pm

Having made 4 trips solo (female) to PV, I have found it to be safer than my home city. I have walked around at all hours of the day and night and never had anything happen that even made me nervous. Of course you take all the normal precautions, as to knowing where you are, being conscious of people around you (without being paranoid) and keeping your personal possessions secure. One of the most important things I do is to try to look like I know where I'm going (even if I don't LOL) and keep my head high (don't trip on the uneven sidewalks though) and if you display an air of confidence you'll find you feel more comfortable. The advise already given about security in the hotel room is good. I have never had any problem with things taken, but I also don't leave anything valuable laying around when I'm not in the room. Enjoy your trip. PV is a most wonderful place!

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:09 am

One has to wonder if the "theft" of loose change mentioned above was really a case of a maid mistaking the change as her tip. Maybe, after the theft was reported, the maid was scared to admit her mistake for one reason or another. Unlike in the U.S., tipping the maid is very common in Mexico. Some people just leave the tip on a table in the room. I personally prefer to bring it directly to the maid and deliver a thank-you at the same time. It seems more sociable.

As Smitty pointed out, the hotel maid job is a competitive one, especially for locals who don't speak English. Their earnings from tips are probably much larger than the small salary the job pays. Other more desireable jobs, like a waiter or waitress, usually require a certain level of English proficiency as one must communicate directly with the many non-Spanish speaking tourists. It you ever see a job posting in the window of a store or restaurant in the tourist areas of PV, you may see a requiremement that says something like: "70% English Required". I'm not sure what constitutes the difference between 70% English vs. 69% English, however. Who knows, maybe I wouldn't be qualified for any of those jobs :-(

jkbe

Post by jkbe » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:56 pm

I too am staying at the wtin and I also read the same review. More than likely the guest had a first floor room and neverbthered to check the balcony door. You also do not leave something valuable like a digital camera laying out. A few things to remember:

1. If there is something wrong with your room and is in need of repair, either be there when they come to repair it or take your valuables with you.

2. Never stay on the first floor. Always ask for a room higher up in the hotel.
3. Leave a tip out for the maid service, with a little note saying tips in spanish. They will see it and they will take care of you.
4. Only take with you (to PV) those items that you could afford to loose. Take a disposable camera instead of a $500.00 digital camera. Will you be mad if you loose ? Of course, but it only costs $20.00 USD to replace.
5. Never give out your room number and never let anyone know where you are staying (unless you want them to know).

By the way these tips go for the entire world and not just PV. As a former hotel employee in the Disneyland area, we encouraged our guests to practice these tips and ours was a 5 star hotel.

nj

Post by nj » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:03 pm

Just use the same commom sense traveling in Mexico as you would if you were traveling in the US.

lsheppard
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by lsheppard » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:38 pm

I am a female who just got back from traveling solo and staying at the Westin. I had a marvelous time and felt incredibly safe. I just used the in-room safe to store my passport, money, credit and tourist card when I didn't need to have them on me. I had a lovely room on the 6th floor with a balcony. The people at the hotel were more than gracious. I also took the bus into town and back everyday, and was in town at night, and never felt unsafe. Enjoy yourself and don't worry! Have a great time!

nynan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nynan » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:40 pm

nj (Aug 15, 2004 01:03 p.m.):
Just use the same commom sense traveling in Mexico as you would if you were traveling in the US.
Great info. Will follow. Thanks.

teduardo
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by teduardo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:52 am

"Only take with you (to PV) those items that you could afford to loose. Take a disposable camera instead of a $500.00 digital camera."

I have to disagree, what did you buy that $500 camera for, to take pictures of your back yard? Do you think you are less apt to have it stolen in a US city? Personally, for reasons already mentioned, feel there is less chance having anything taken by the staff in Vallarta accommodations than I do here in the US. That said, don't forget common sense.

Have a great time in Vallarta, you will be with some of the most wonderful people in the world. And take your good camera, you will come home with pics to enjoy for a lifetime.

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by bzy1inpv » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:23 am

I agree with the last poster, I live here and carry around a $1000 camera and have left in restasurants and other places countless times, only to have it returned:) I swear I need to velcro it to my body!

Seriously, I am a five foot 110 pound woman, I have travelled to Vallarta 13 times (mostly solo) before moving here. I have wandered almost every street in town, from daylight to wayyyy past sundown and have never encountered anything remotely unsafe...except for a big hole in a sidewalk that I almost fell into. I do carry myself with confidence, and I use common sense....but I can attest I feel much safer here than I did in my own neighborhood in a mid-western city I called home for 30 years.

I am sure you will feel completely safe and you will really enjoy the Westin. The Marina boardwalk is a great place to stroll early in the morning- walk around it and check out all the tropical fish by the shoreline, then have breakfast at Mister Cream.
You should also check out the Malecon and downtown- once again, very safe!

I am sure you will meet plenty of people to hang out with as well.
Have a wonderful time and do not worry!

nynan
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by nynan » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:18 am

Thanks so much. I am once again excited about my trip. I can't wait eat at Mister Cream.

Missing Vallarta!!!

Post by Missing Vallarta!!! » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:56 pm

Do you live in PV because I am in need of trying to contact someone that lives there that you may know, I just need to get a message to them. The phone # that they gave me seems to have changed.
bzy1inpv (Aug 16, 2004 11:23 p.m.):
I agree with the last poster, I live here and carry around a $1000 camera and have left in restasurants and other places countless times, only to have it returned:) I swear I need to velcro it to my body!

Seriously, I am a five foot 110 pound woman, I have travelled to Vallarta 13 times (mostly solo) before moving here. I have wandered almost every street in town, from daylight to wayyyy past sundown and have never encountered anything remotely unsafe...except for a big hole in a sidewalk that I almost fell into. I do carry myself with confidence, and I use common sense....but I can attest I feel much safer here than I did in my own neighborhood in a mid-western city I called home for 30 years.

I am sure you will feel completely safe and you will really enjoy the Westin. The Marina boardwalk is a great place to stroll early in the morning- walk around it and check out all the tropical fish by the shoreline, then have breakfast at Mister Cream.
You should also check out the Malecon and downtown- once again, very safe!

I am sure you will meet plenty of people to hang out with as well.
Have a wonderful time and do not worry!

matt
PV Guru
PV Guru

Post by matt » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:32 am

MissingVallarta,
Here's a compilation of a few old posts of mine. Maybe it could help you find the correct phone number.

TELMEX Yellow Pages
===================
You can use the online Seccion Amarilla, at Telmex, for info on businesses. Sometimes, the info is a little out-of-date, or in error, but usually it all works out. http://www.seccionamarilla.com.mx/
To use it, you will see a list of four items:

For the Puerto Vallarta area:
1. Select either "Product/Service" or "Business Name"
2. Enter what you are looking for (probably using Spanish words/names)
3. Select the state (Jalisco, in this case)
4. Choose the city (Puerto Vallarta, in this case)
Now press the search button, called "Buscar", and your search will begin.

For the Nuevo Vallarta area:
1. Select either "Product/Service" or "Business Name"
2. Enter what you are looking for (probably using Spanish words/names)
3. Select the state (Nayarit, in this case)
4. Choose the city (Nuevo Vallarta, in this case)
Now press the search button, called "Buscar", and your search will begin.

TELMEX White Pages
==================
Here's a link to the Telmex residential white page phone directory for Mexico:
http://blancas2.seccionamarilla.com.mx/ ... dirtel.asp

For the Puerto Vallarta area:
1. Enter the first name(s) in "Nombre(s)".
2. Enter the last name(s) in "Apellidos".
3. For the state, select "Jalisco" in "Estado".
4. For the city, select "Puerto Vallarta" under "Opciones" in "Delegación/Municipio".
5. Click on "Siguiente" for your results.

For the Nuevo Vallarta area:
1. Enter the first name(s) in "Nombre(s)".
2. Enter the last name(s) in "Apellidos".
3. For the state, select "Nayarit" in "Estado".
4. For the city, select "Nuevo Vallarta" under "Opciones" in "Delegación/Municipio".
5. Click on "Siguiente" for your results.

GENERAL
========
To call one of these numbers from the U.S. or Canada, you would dial: 011-52-followed by the ten digit phone number that is listed. Don't you guys start making international prank phone calls now, or your Mom is going to get angry :-)

MexiMachismo

Post by MexiMachismo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:54 am

what room are you staying in?

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:10 am

Is MexiMachismo joking or just being obnoxious? His e-mail doesn't exist either... makes me think he/she may be the next winner of an instant ban :-)

Mogens

susana

Post by susana » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:24 pm

I have vacationed in Puerto Vallarta 15 times to date, probably half of those times solo. I have never had a bad experience, or even heard of anything negative from others along the way. Loose change or small bills left on the bed or night table would legitimately be considered a tip by the maid. I stay in WAY funkier hotels than the Westin and have never had a problem with theft. On the other hand I know numerous stories of local people going out of their way to return lost or misplaced belongings. I agree with the idea of not carrying valuables (a disposable camera is fine for those palm tree/sunset shots!) and overly expensive small items like that or jewelry might be a temptation for people who work very hard & live on very little income, as many Mexican families do. As for my personal safety, I'm w/ bzy1, you're more likely to sprain your ankle falling off those foot high curbs or cobblestone steps, than having anyone bother you in any way. One last caution, I would worry more about shady fellow tourists working a scam (don't give your room number to that handsome man at the pool) than I would about the lovely local people of PV.

nmcmilla

Post by nmcmilla » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:31 am

It is my understanding that the maids view money left on the pillow as their tip.

sillyputty

Post by sillyputty » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:17 pm

Gotta agree with Teduardo if you own a nice camera take it just remember to use the in room safe , I had some items stolen from my room that would not fit in the safe (too damn small) and they were stolen but overall I alaways feel safer in Pvr than any large American city .