Bringing a gift

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

PV cheesehead42
PV Fan
PV Fan
Bringing a gift

Post by PV cheesehead42 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:20 am

I would like to bring/buy a gift for the woman who handles reservations at the hotel where I stay in Vallarta . I do not know what to get her. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something she might like from the USA ( I live in Wisconsin) or, what might I get her in PV that she might like. I always give her a gratuity before I leave but I would like to get her something more personal. If I asked her she would say "nothing" so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Maybe ...bring from home a bottle of wine..block of cheese..snack crackers ..postcard with a pic of a Wisconsin cheese factory and... :) a
small fondue (they are not expensive) with a cheese fondue recipe tucked inside.
Makings for a fun eve!
just my humble.. :)

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Sylvia has given you some great ideas. Something special from your area is always good. We have brought down t-shirts with local sayings, or places we frequent, maybe a book on the area, or a local cook book with a lot of the local cuisine... Do not try "gift certificates" at one of her local store there in Puerto Vallarta, as they do not have the concept figured out yet. We tried doing this for one of our guest relations managers before. We have worked with one of the local day spas for them to give our friend a manicure, pedicure, full body massage, facial etc... and she just loved it... it was something she always wanted to do, but just either couldn't schedule it, or afford... good luck....

bzy1inpv
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Gift

Post by bzy1inpv » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:58 am

I suggest a small token gift from your home area and money.
More than anything, although money seems impersonal, with the low wages, money is far more appreciated than a gift that may not be to their taste. We all scrape by during low season so any extra dinero is the best gift of all :)

Ann
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:28 pm

There are a couple of good florists in old town that I've come across and they're relatively cheap. I've periodically purchased a bouquet of flowers for a few of my mexican friends. Throw in a bottle of wine from home or, a gratuity and you'd have an awesome gift.

Plus4
Venerable PV Semi-God
Venerable PV Semi-God

Post by Plus4 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:24 pm

PV cheesehead 42 posted..
I always give her a gratuity before I leave but I would like to get her something more personal
My thought is that giving money as a tip is best (and quite easy to do) but sometimes a wrapped gift a present a surprise shows that you have taken time to not only go shopping for the person but it shows you have taken time to get to know the person a little and find out what gifts would make him or her happy.
A gift given is something thought out !
A gift is never asked for or expected!