HURRICANE JOHN

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

DELETED
Re: "the sky is grey"

Post by DELETED » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:05 pm

DELETED

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:37 pm

Just take a look at the webcam and you'll notice everything is calm.

Greetings

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Don't Panic!!

Post by Jennybean » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:44 pm

What are all these people gonna do.
You do understand that the eye of that hurricane, ie the thing that would do the most damage, is almost 200 miles away from the city of PV in open ocean, which is nestled back in the centre of that bay? The city is over two hours away from the mouth of the bay and open ocean, it's not like they're fully exposed!

The city and its people for the most part are well prepared I'm hearing. Emergency services are on standby, windows are being taped up, emergency shelters set just in case, schools and businesses are closed and inventory stored away elsewhere. They are as prepared as they can be, and from the local's posts, they obviously still have power - and yet no rain.

Let's not think this is going to be another Katrina, folks. No need to get crazy. If they were in any kind of severe danger from the eye of that storm rather than just the likelihood of being hit by strong winds and rain, they would have been evacuating by now. They aren't. National Hurricane Centre is showing PV as being hit by winds under 45mph when this passes. To be hurricane strength, they have to be over 73mph.

I would be much more concerned about the people in Cabo, San Jose del Cabo, Mazatlan and La Paz, where the winds are predicted to be over 100mph in some areas.

Take a deep breath and relax. None of my local friends are panicking (they're watching and waiting, concerned of course, but nobody's freaking out and heading for higher ground with a pack burro, let's keep some perspective here), so if they aren't panicking, neither am I.

tandr2
PV Master
PV Master

Post by tandr2 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:57 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/08/31/j ... index.html

CNN reports:
Some coastal communities in Jalisco state, where Puerto Vallarta is located, were being evacuated because of their proximity to two dams, state authorities said.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:11 pm

Jalisco is a big state with a long coast, plus a bay area is quite different from an area that is exposed. Watch the webcam, it's very very calm in Vallarta and that is NOT because it's in the eye of the hurricane http://www.puertovallarta.net/interacti ... /index.php

Greetings

Mogens

Jennybean
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Big

Post by Jennybean » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:40 pm

As previously noted, please use your own caution when reading stories from the big news agencies. And Mogens is correct - Jalisco is a BIG state, and most of it is south of PV...which is why Nuevo Vallarta is in Nayarit State, because Jalisco ends north of PV.

The locals are reporting dead calm, clouds, a sprinkle of rain.

Johann&Sandra
PV Fanatic
PV Fanatic

Post by Johann&Sandra » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:14 pm

Case in point - check this article out by the London Free Press, titled:

"Hurricane John Lashes Puerto Vallarta"

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Intern ... 5-sun.html

According to them, they reported this story actually from Puerto Vallarta too. I guess it's not just the American publications that like to make things up.

Looks like all is well again in Puerto Vallarta. The eye is long gone, and now the chance of winds over 39mph in Puerto Vallarta is only 7%. Let's get back to having fun! :D

JPSenior
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by JPSenior » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:18 am

[quote="Johann&Sandra"]

Looks like all is well again in Puerto Vallarta. The eye is long gone, and now the chance of winds over 39mph in Puerto Vallarta is only 7%. Let's get back to having fun! :D[/quote]

Well -
Thank you for posting this =)

I've got a flight arriving in PV on Saturday, and I was pretty much freaking out and panicing expecting to be landing into a national disaster and shipped right back home.

I guess a bit of a silver lining behind this hurricane is the calm after storms?

//never been south of 50 ;P

coolchange
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

I survived John!

Post by coolchange » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:01 pm

So, we were in PV (Paradise V. at Nuevo Vallarta) and I am here to tell you there was no effect in the area at all....well there was some better body surfing the next day. Watching CNN was a joke...almost nothing about the west coast storm, and what there was was inaccurate or dead wrong.

THe locals did take it very seriously...moving everyone to rooms away from the bay, all chairs away from beach and pools, raising the sea wall at the resort, tape on windows throughout the village and well planned evacuation retreats etc.....it's just that nothing happened!

What I learned: went to get some bottled water (in case of power outage) and candles...there was plenty of water but the only candle was a glade 4 scent aromatic...there was no way I was going to ride out a storm with a glade christmas stench in the bunker (shifting later to whatever Easter smells like...) I also passed on the birthday candles....Moral: pack a candle when going to tropical storm areas ...for that matter maybe make it a regular item to have in the suitcase.

..and an aside: loved PV but the whole Nuevo Vallarta was more like being at a shopping mall/resort somewhere in So. Cal.

katnsocal
PV Oracle
PV Oracle

Post by katnsocal » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:36 pm

What I just learned....... OK, I went through the whole Kenna thing with my boat down there and luckily it did not sink and only suffered minor damage. Soooo of course when I was watching the news about John strengthening to a Cat. 4 and, as the news said "Hugging the coast", you could say I was a bit anxious and a bit confused? Because when I talked with my partner down there he did not seem all that concerned and in the back of my mind I was thinking "I hope he knows what the hell he is doing, not acting any more concerned than he is". I made him promise to call me as soon as he could after it passed and let me know what had happened....AND NADA!!!! But I had read that it turned out to be a big NADA. Hey what do I know, I have lived at the beach in So. Cal my entire life and we don't have Hurricanes? So 4 days later..... when he finally called me (and you know I was not gonna call him) I am saying "Thanks for calling me and giving him the usual how could you?" This I am sure was due to the fact that he did call right before Kenna hit and could not get out of his house to go down to check on the boat and he called right after in a state of shock at the damage he was looking at right after the storm surge hit. I remember at the time thinking to myself (he was here in So. Cal on 9/11) I heard the same shock and disbelief in his voice that he heard in mine as we watched the devistation unfolding on TV that morning.

SO THIS IS WHAT I LEARNED AND IT IS ALMOST A DIRECT QUOTE:

1. " You have to remember the bad storms in PV are almost always in Oct. near the end of the rainy season. The ones in Sept. just blow right on by." We all know the bay is protected and Kenna (which, that's right was in Oct) did all the damage from the storm surge, not from the wind or coming ashore.

2. "They close the entire bay to all shipping/boating traffic when it is passing by and the majority of the time it is just as calm and smooth as can be."

3. "Two days later when they open the bay to all shipping and boating traffic it is as rough and windy as can be".....Go figure!!! I take that to mean there is not the calm right after the storm with hurricanes in PV, at least not boating wise.

So that was my lesson on Hurricanes in PV as told by someone who has lived in PV his entire life.

Not to say they should not take precautions, just what normally happens in Sept vs. what happens in Oct. with regards to hurricanes in PV vs. what the news tells you.

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hurricanes and Puerto Vallarta

Post by webmaster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

Read more on why Puerto Vallarta doesn't really have a hurricane season.

http://www.puertovallarta.net/weather/h ... llarta.php