upcoming visit

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

destinydave
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum
upcoming visit

Post by destinydave » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:56 pm

Hi gang...
First timer here..going to PV in March...any and all help will be rewarded with stacks of presents...!!! Well, maybe not, but sure
will appreciate it! Thanks, destinydave

Noalani

Re:upcoming visit

Post by Noalani » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:59 pm

Dont stay at the Melia - see my trip report

Seriously - Do ride the buses, just not late at night
Do take a tour
Do take a waterproof sunscreen
Dont go all inclusive if you stay in town, unless you never plan to leave the hotel...

ATM withdrawls are safer that cash or travelrs checks. I got 1000 pesos for 86 dollars.

Hope that helps

ellenl
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by ellenl » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:32 am

Dave,
Just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
I would also agree about ATM withdrawals. Easy since they are all over and your fees are nominal.
As a first timer do take a Vallarta Adventures Safari tour (all day, maybe 60-70 $) well worth it. Their dolphin swim is a great experience too.
If you have kids pack some of their old clothes, books, toys in your suitcase to drop off at a local orphanage (Casa Hogar is very close to the airport-north) or give to your hotel maid. I did this last month on our trip. Not only do you feel good, but then you will have all that room in your suitcase for all the gifts you will give to me. Ha Ha Ha!
I stayed out near Bucerias, and although that was a great place, next time I will stay in closer to downtown and have a totally different experience.
Hope you have a great time!!
Ellen

leslie
PV Beachbum
PV Beachbum

Post by leslie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:27 am

You will enjoy it! This was the first place I have ever been I can't wait to return!
I stayed at the Royal Decameron which is closer to Bucerias. If you are looking to
relax and not go downtown much you would love it there. But if you want to do
lots of shopping and wandering around I would stay in the hotel zone.
If you plan on eating out alot don't do an all inclusive.
I wouldn't recomend the Rio Jalisco. We heard a lot of bad things from people
staying there while we were there. Take the City Tour. They take you to the Flea
Market and give you a bit of a history lesson. You also go to a jewelry store that
guarantees everything they sell, and you can get some great deals!! They take you
to a tequilla fatory and also an awesome resturant in the jungle. Have lots of fun!!!

connor
PV Master
PV Master

Post by connor » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:05 pm

Dave, don't forget to go to Pipi's restaurant for dinner. There are many posts about this fun place in the restauraant section of this b.b. The main thing is, just have fun. P.V. is the best place on earth for a vacation. Have a great time.

derek

Post by derek » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:08 pm

Travel to the old part of town and wander around shops behind the malecon...try and stay away from the main strips and explore the streets that are used less frequently...definately eat at restaurants and get away from the resort...if you like to party and dance the clubs don't get hoppin until 11 and be prepared to have a good time until 4 or later...

stay away from macdonalds!

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:30 pm

Take a walk on the malecon in the evening and buy some sweets or a roasted ear of corn with lime or chilli powder.
Enjoy a late night thunderstorm (if you get lucky).Eat at several of the great restaurants in PV and as MM stated don't forget to try Pipi's. Romantic- Rhythms of the Night. Sip some cold cervezas or margaritas. Most of all enjoy PV...you'll be back for more.
<:((()))~

chuck
PV Semi-God
PV Semi-God

Post by chuck » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:34 pm

Oh, as a first timer, try not to do everything in this trip.
<:((()))~

tojol57

Post by tojol57 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:58 am

first of all RELAX just have good time... share your time with the people of Vallarta... you will find them warm and loving people... and if you treat them right with respect etc... you will not have a problem in the world down there... we have been coming down for 12 yrs now... and we just love the city....

susana

Post by susana » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:35 pm

Everyone has different styles so you'll have to choose from all the suggestions. I've been to PV 15 times now and have yet to take any kind of organized tour or do an activity I paid for. I'm in the camp of wandering the streets, getting inland a bit away from the heavily touristed areas. Definitely take the bus somewhere, either for getting around town or out to Bucerias or Punta Mita or something. Strolling the Malecon, visiting the Cathedral, and shopping at Rizo's are a must-dos in my book. The people are lovely in PV. Enjoy their welcome, enjoy your stay.

stew

Post by stew » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:11 pm

You are my kind of visitor Susana. I hang in old town or up in the hills also. Have taken the bus both north & south. Who need a a Big Mac, Sub Sandwich or Pizza Hut pizza when in Mexico? Now if anybody reading this likes those things go for it with my blessing.
Also how many Mexicam masks, pottery, or nick nacks can one own or want to. I get a new Cafe El Repollo Rojo T shirt & a couple of others. Thats's about all my purchases each year. PV is such a great place just to people watch, eat & relax!

susana

Post by susana » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:47 pm

Well Stew, I will confess I own more than my share of Mexican blankets and Puerto Vallarta beach towels!

scraphappy

Post by scraphappy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:19 pm

We are leaving on Friday and staying at the Rio Jalisco. I had heard nothing good about it. What have you heard?

Lodac

Post by Lodac » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:51 pm

Scraphappy, I'll email you a Riu reveiw....