Leaving PV by airport(what hell to go thru)

Weather, money, general tips, help and more... your Puerto Vallarta trip made easy.

Moderators:admin, Moderators

gottago
PV Fan
PV Fan
Leaving PV by airport(what hell to go thru)

Post by gottago » Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:36 pm

My husband came home yesterday from work and told me that he had talked to a lady today that just got back from PV. She didn't go into to much detail about coming into PV by plane, but leaving she said it took her 4 hours to go thru customs at the airport. She said that they go thur everything, dirty clothes and all. They will take and put into a box anything that they seem fit, batteries all kinds-from cameras to camcorder batteries, razors, electric razors, fingernails files, hair brushes with pointy ends, anything that they seem like they want to. So of the batteries from the camcorders at like $80 bucks apiece. Was thinking of buying and bring it on vacation, but I sure don't want to loose a new battery in the process. She said if its a disposal camera they throw them away. Pens and pencils....
Has anyone else expericenced this leaving PV.

gottago
PV Fan
PV Fan

Re:Leaving PV by airport(what hell to go thru)

Post by gottago » Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:39 pm

too add to the above. The officals took match books that she was keeping for keepsakes, arosols, you can't take on any carry on luggage, except for a baby bag or pocketbook. Could this be true? she did just get back. I like to think that the Mexican goverments wants us safe, but to this extreme. This was stuff in the luggage to go inside the plane, not carry on. Does anyone know if they are taking the stuff that you buy at Duty Free Shops?

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:35 am

Have not heard anything like that since that terrible day a month ago. In the past I ver had anything checked going out until we hit the US in either in Dallas or Houston. I am heading that way this Friday and coming back in Nov, sure hope it is not that kind of grief.

pt

Post by pt » Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:57 am

Hi, Haven't seen anything to this extent at the airport here - BUT! I am thinking it is much better to have them do that rather than nothing at all!

Sas

Anyone have first-hand experience ???

Post by Sas » Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:40 am

Would sure like to hear from anyone that has recently (since Sept.11th) come back from PV regarding this issue. Are there massive delays when leaving PV ??? I agree, if it has to be done then it has to be done. I just want to KNOW ....that way we can hopefully re-schedule connecting flights. Air Canada has changed our flights for next month but there's one connection I'm quite concerned with. Leaving PV at 12:10 pm, arriving in Mexico City at 1:35pm & then departing Mex.City for Los Angeles at 2:25 pm. That's only allowing 50 minutes between flights in Mex.City. I voiced my concern with the Air Canada ticket agent, she put me on hold, came back & said "no problem, you only need 45 minutes between flights". Great as long as we get outta PV on time. Havinfg never been to Mexico City airport before do any of you more seasoned travellers foresee a problem with this (as I do !). Thanks for your input.

howard_jax
PV Master
PV Master

Post by howard_jax » Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:17 pm

In rereading the first post, it sounds to me like they are talking about carry on luggage. I will try to keep what I carry on to a bare minimum. I will put all the spare batteries for my cameras in the checked luggage. I will carry the 2 cameras with me. I think the first post may have been exagerated, but agree I would sure rather they would check.

gottago
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by gottago » Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:39 pm

Well from what I understand, this is not just carry on luggage. As I said this was passed on to us from a lady that just got back this past weekend. She told my husband that when they went thur her luggage that they went thur everything. She had the matchbooks in her shoes, that where packed away, not carry on and they threw them in their confiscation box.
I too would love to hear from someone else that has just come back since the Sept 11, attack.
Not trying to exagerate just passing on what I heard.

kkinzel
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by kkinzel » Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:43 pm

I am a very seasoned Mexico City/PVR traveler, as this is the way I arrive/depart between Chicago and PV every time I fly via Mexicana. BEFORE the 9/11 business, when you arrived in Mex. City from PV, 50 minutes is no problem, as you will not be required to go thru customs until you reach your final destination. NOW I am not sure. I leave next week 10/24 - 10/28 and will let you know what I encounter. After I arrive in PV, I will check this board and report my observations.

Hope this helps.

Sas

Thanks Kathy Lynn ....

Post by Sas » Wed Oct 17, 2001 4:23 pm

Will much appreciate your reporting back ! Am also interested in the duty-free topic as well as I had heard earlier that nobody was shopping in the duty-free shops for fear of not being able to carry it on board with them. Would it not make more sense for the airlines to just keep all duty-free bottles in one storage spot on the plane & then have the passengers pick it up upon arrival. Maybe too much paperwork & time involved in something like that I guess. Oh well, just a thought. Looking forward to hearing from you after Oct.28th !

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie » Thu Oct 18, 2001 1:52 am

I just returned from PV on Oct 6th. Yes, they do go through everything and I mean everything(including dirty clothes) - every single bag carry on or not. Yes, this is in the check in line where you get your ticket. Believe it or not, it didn't delay us that much. We allowed 2 and a half hours before our flight time (they had told us two hours, but we wanted to give a little extra time because we didn't know what to expect). However, it only took about an hour to go through the check in (we were in about the middle of the line when they started checking in). I didn't see any disposable cameras in the box where they were throwing things, but I did see matchbooks, lighters, and flammable toiletries. They told us they were going to take the batteries out of our cameras, but the person checking us never did do that - I didn't see anyone else's batteries in the box either (but it could happen). Going through security was quick (no line at all). Our flight was about 11:30 am so if you have a later flight, it might be a different story. Hope that info helps.

gottago
PV Fan
PV Fan

Post by gottago » Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:17 am

Ronnie,
What was it like arriving into PV, the same kind of stuff? or is just the ole red light green light set up still.
Thanks for setting it straight.....

jomax24

Post by jomax24 » Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:11 pm

We just PV yesterday and although I saw an elderly couple getting a thorough going over, they whisked us right through. They don't want matches, lighters, flammables, etc. on the plane,
it says so on the back of your boarding pass, but they saw and let me take 2 Bic lighters on the plane. The customs searches are as random as the red light/green light thing when you arrive.
You need to be at the airport about 2 1/2 hours early if you want a choice of seats, but that's it.
Don't worry, PV is as friendly as ever!

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie » Wed Oct 24, 2001 3:48 am

Going through immigration was no problem, seemed completely normal. Customs in PV was the normal red light, green light (and then run for a taxi to get away from the time share people).

Leaving the states though, you might want to check with your airport. I'm in Denver Colorado (DIA) and they are still saying allow 4 hours for check-in. They show DIA nearly every night on the TV and the lines through security are awful!

MM

Post by MM » Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:09 am

I've been to P.V. twice. Once to get married there. We didn't experience the problems you specify but then again we were there before New York Sept 11/01. I would imagine that the increased security and scrutiny you describe is pretty much common place everywhere now. Don't let this discourage you. My wife and I consider P.V. to be heaven on earth and if we could figure out a way to make a descent living there we'd both be permanent residents by now.

rsg

Post by rsg » Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:35 pm

We just returned from PV on October 8. They do go through everything, including checked luggage and carry on. I think the inspectors were very good and made as little mess as possible. You do have to be careful what items you try to carry on, but they didn't take anything away from us - just made us put it in our checked baggage. Somewhere I read (I think it was in a travel guide, Frommers I believe) about all the things you can and can't carry on to a plane. Those things included matches, aerosols, sharp items, batteries (you have to remove them from cameras), etc. If you do a little background work and make sure you know what you have to check and can't carry on, you shouldn't have many hassles at the airport. One thing that did surprise me was that they wouldn't let me carry on a small suitcase that you can carry on in the US (the small black ones that everyone carries on). Only smaller bags and backpacks.

We arrived at the airport about 3 hours early, and only had to stand in line about an hour.

Good luck, you'll have a great time there!